PDA

View Full Version : SHFT Truck or SUV?

CyberM4
02-12-11, 20:37
I have an 06 Silverado reg cab. Next truck will have extended cap. Or should I look at 4 runner size Suv? 4 wd or not. I live down FLA way. But who knows. Imput guys on an SHTF truck or suv.

citizensoldier16
02-12-11, 20:47
Any truck with a V6 or greater and 4x4 should suffice. Of course, it depends on what you are planning to carry, how many people, terrain around where you live.

In the flat lands of FL, a simple V6 4x4 should work...it gets good mileage and can handle a little muddy field just fine. If you're in the mountains, probably a V8 due to hills and potentially rougher terrain.

Keep in mind that if a true SHTF situation were to manifest, fuel would be in VERY short supply and would likely be the first resource to disappear.

In my mind, the best SHTF vehicle is my own two legs with a good pair of boots attached to them. They are truly all-terrain, they don't get stuck in snow, mud, etc. They can scale boulders 100x their size and fjord a 100' lake. They don't run on fossil fuels and, although they're considerably slower than any 4x4 truck, in the end they can take me farther and over more obstacles.

500grains
02-12-11, 21:08
1. Think EMP. Your SHTF rig should have no electronics. You can get some great 1960s and early 1970s pickup trucks with points that someone has mostly restored for $5K.

2. In SHTF, some ****ers will set up road blocks and shoot at you. Get 3/8" AR500 steel cut to the shape of the doors, behind the seat, floor, etc. so that you have a chance of surviving if shot at.

3. Make yourself a very stout bumper and grill guard which you can use to push other vehicles off the road. Also make some super heavy nerf bars for beside the doors.

4. Stored gasoline with preservative lasts 2-3 years. If you expect SHTF to last longer than that, get a deuce and a half with multifuel engine and do the AR500 steel thing to it.

5. Carry a motorcycle in the back of your SHTF pickup so that if the roads are impassible, you can abandon your truck and ride the motorcycle.

6. If you can afford it, get an APC.

CyberM4
02-12-11, 21:35
1. Think EMP. Your SHTF rig should have no electronics. You can get some great 1960s and early 1970s pickup trucks with points that someone has mostly restored for $5K.

2. In SHTF, some ****ers will set up road blocks and shoot at you. Get 3/8" AR500 steel cut to the shape of the doors, behind the seat, floor, etc. so that you have a chance of surviving if shot at.

3. Make yourself a very stout bumper and grill guard which you can use to push other vehicles off the road. Also make some super heavy nerf bars for beside the doors.

4. Stored gasoline with preservative lasts 2-3 years. If you expect SHTF to last longer than that, get a deuce and a half with multifuel engine and do the AR500 steel thing to it.

5. Carry a motorcycle in the back of your SHTF pickup so that if the roads are impassible, you can abandon your truck and ride the motorcycle.

Good points I didn't think of. The BIG IF you can get your truck on the move. Or done too the ole two feet. I've thought on EMP. But that takes most elec vechiles out. Let alone Coms.

panzerr
02-12-11, 21:45
Feet have no electronics, don't require gasoline and can go places where SUVs cannot!

HES
02-12-11, 21:47
I went through this conumdrum recently and traded in my 03 PU for an 08 SUV. Right now I need something that can keep the contents of my vehicle secured as well as having passenger carry capacity. Now Im thinking of a project involving a early 70s Suburban. If I have over sized stuff I can sit it on a trailer. Other than that it can go on the roof.

mr_smiles
02-12-11, 22:02
Feet have no electronics, don't require gasoline and can go places where SUVs cannot!

LMAO, 99.9% of the population couldn't go further than 5 miles with out getting soar - a trip in the mall is considered a marathon. Now add 40-50lbs of crap on their back and meters will look like miles.

panzerr
02-12-11, 22:42
LMAO, 99.9% of the population couldn't go further than 5 miles with out getting soar - a trip in the mall is considered a marathon. Now add 40-50lbs of crap on their back and meters will look like miles.

Being sore and not being able to put one foot in front of the other are two different things. Given proper motivation anyone baring debilitating injury could push themselves if needed to.

There was a thread I saw a few weeks back with pictures of clogged highways. Imagine this in SHTF. If you live in the metro, you aren't getting anywhere by four wheels. Even if you don't live in the metro you may be stuck. The best insurance is staying fit enough to hump a ruck when you need to.

mr_smiles
02-13-11, 10:46
Given proper motivation anyone baring debilitating injury could push themselves if needed to.

You have to much faith in people :p

skyugo
02-13-11, 14:00
may wish to consider a simple mountain bike. it's an excellent force multiplier. if the going gets particularly vertical you can throw it on your shoulder and drag it up the slope with you, pretty tricky on a motorcycle.

Spurholder
02-13-11, 14:18
High quality LPC's and a beat up shopping cart for all of your shit.

Did you guys catch "The Road?"

CyberM4
02-13-11, 14:19
may wish to consider a simple mountain bike. it's an excellent force multiplier. if the going gets particularly vertical you can throw it on your shoulder and drag it up the slope with you, pretty tricky on a motorcycle.

Now IF one can get the 4 wheels too get out. Can't put much on a mountain bike. I could hump all day with no probleams. Until 6.5 years ago. When they gave me a new hip. So my pack mule days are gone.

usmcvet
02-13-11, 14:34
I have a 3, 5 & 8 year old. The wife has a 2003 Highlander and I have an 2011 Silverado Crew Cab. They both have their strong points. Better mileage in the yota and more room and power in the Chevy. I wanted a new Tahoe but it was too expensive for me!

Humping is not much of an option with the little ones so bugging in is our first choice. I like the thought of a dirt bike or mountain bike as a back up in your vehicle.

Redmanfms
02-13-11, 15:09

:blink:

Gas'll be gone before the Humongous rules the waste dude.

Obsession with EMP never ceases to amaze me. I guess "survivalist" types fantasize about it because it is the most likely to make their Walter Mitty road warrior fantasies come true. Not speaking of you directly 500, just a trend I've noticed in the online prepping community.

OP, if I were you I'd stick to the truck you've got and spend the money on items of greater utility, like food and water purification. Or sock enough money away to buy a place to bug out to.

Business_Casual
02-13-11, 15:58
Or use the money to put your wife through dental school. An infected tooth or a lack of antibiotics/hygiene will be what kills the most in a SHTF, not lack of 4x4.

B_C

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-14-11, 00:52
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/3g/3gc.jpg

I hope 32.4grams doesn't mind a cross thread pic post. Think 3-wheel. New meaning to gun-truck!