PDA

View Full Version : Magpul UBR

txn
02-12-11, 23:30
Has anyone run a Magpul UBR stock on their rifle, or currently running one on theirs? I am looking at some different options, but when I saw it on the magpul site it sparked my interest. Any input would be great.

LOKNLOD
02-12-11, 23:44
I have one on one my my rifles. I really like it, in that particular application - a heavy-ish 16" carbine with long rail and 1-4 optics.

Seriously, there are about 5.5x10^3 threads about the UBR. "UBR" may be too short for a search string in the board's search engine, but if you go to the orange/yellow button across the top that says "Search" and use the Google Search tool, you'll turn up a metric crap-ton of threads.

txn
02-12-11, 23:48
I tried searching it with several different key words but could never got any results so I thought I would try my luck. My application would be a 16" heavy profile barrel with rail. I'll try looking for the other threads again, thanks.

LOKNLOD
02-12-11, 23:56
I tried searching it with several different key words but could never got any results so I thought I would try my luck. My application would be a 16" heavy profile barrel with rail. I'll try looking for the other threads again, thanks.

I understand, searching with acronyms can be harder sometimes. PM me if you need help with it but the Google tool should get you there. Fair warning, lots of threads have been getting shutdown for excessively redundant questions lately as they've been clogging up the board.

Iraqgunz
02-12-11, 23:57
It's a little heavy, but works well on some applications. For example and SBR where someone runs a suppressor most of the time. It will help to counterbalance the weight.

I am sure that plenty of people have them on their standard 16" carbine/ rifles as well.

DaBears_85
02-12-11, 23:57
Here's a good one to get you started:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=10643

Personally, I think it would compliment an HBAR nicely, as it's relatively heavy by stock standards. Should balance out the rifle nicely.

J

Pappabear
02-12-11, 23:58
I shot my friends 10.5 and it felt great. I am getting one to give it a try. They have their own tube that comes with, so install is a little more than just popping on a SOPMOD.

Hammertime
02-12-11, 23:59
People are always complaining about "the UBR is heavy" blah blah blah...it's not bad heavy. If anything, if you are ever planning on using a suppressor, the heavier stock helps improve the balance of the build tremendously.

I believe that the UBR is the most rock-solid stock that Magpul sells (along with the PRS, but that's for limited use, i.e. 18"-20" precision builds). The UBR is at home on almost any build, from 7" to 18" or anything in between. I have it on my 16" m4 style Recon build with an ACOG - the cheek weld is great. Additionally, the QD sling sockets are a huge help.

Get the UBR...you won't be disappointed unless you're going for an ultra-lightweight build, like under 7lbs. Nothing but good things to say about the UBR. :dance3:

Good luck and good shooting
Bryant

Mr. Biggles
02-13-11, 00:18
I've also been considering getting the UBR... It's a very nice/stout stock. Solid build. If going with a lightweight carbine, I would look at other options; but either way, you can't go wrong. =)

DaBears_85
02-13-11, 00:18
People are always complaining about "the UBR is heavy" blah blah blah...it's not bad heavy. If anything, if you are ever planning on using a suppressor, the heavier stock helps improve the balance of the build tremendously.

I believe that the UBR is the most rock-solid stock that Magpul sells (along with the PRS, but that's for limited use, i.e. 18"-20" precision builds). The UBR is at home on almost any build, from 7" to 18" or anything in between. I have it on my 16" m4 style Recon build with an ACOG - the cheek weld is great. Additionally, the QD sling sockets are a huge help.

Get the UBR...you won't be disappointed unless you're going for an ultra-lightweight build, like under 7lbs. Nothing but good things to say about the UBR. :dance3:

Good luck and good shooting
Bryant

I don't feel anyone here is complaining about the UBR's weight. I do feel, however, that it's important for people to realize that they need to take its weight into consideration, as it fills a very particular niche in the market and isn't right for every application.

Cameron
02-13-11, 00:41
The UBR is a good stock.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5217/5423199211_386f990617_b.jpg

txn
02-13-11, 00:58
Thanks for all the input. I know this thread is alittle redundant, because there was some other great info on that link above.

This was my first thread and I wasn't sure how quickly it would be answered.

The weight won't be an issue, my weapon still feels heavy in the front and something to balance it would be nice. I was more concerned with the cheek weld and LOP anyway. I just hadn't seen alot of them and I am still pretty new to the AR community so I thought I would reach out on here.

TehLlama
02-13-11, 13:15
Thanks for all the input. I know this thread is alittle redundant, because there was some other great info on that link above.

This was my first thread and I wasn't sure how quickly it would be answered.

The weight won't be an issue, my weapon still feels heavy in the front and something to balance it would be nice. I was more concerned with the cheek weld and LOP anyway. I just hadn't seen alot of them and I am still pretty new to the AR community so I thought I would reach out on here.

The cheek weld and LOP adjustability is simply second to none with the UBR, so if you care about that and have a nose-heavy AR then they're absolutely worth the money.
I'm already stuck with four of them.

jdub75
02-13-11, 13:23
I went with one, but my primary reason was cheekweld with facial hair....yep you read that right. Sometimes I grow more than a goatee, and all the other adjustable stocks would 'pinch' when I would fire the weapon. The way the UBR adjusts is different (look at were your cheek rests...its not on the buffer tube).
Secondary benefit was balance. I have a piston-driven upper, with a heavy barrel profile. The UBR balanced the rifle to just about the middle of the magwell.
People do say my rifle is heavy (esp for a SBR), but I don't notice it and its balanced. Sounds like if you have a heavy barrel profile, it would work.
Just buy one used so you're not into it for $250+

masakari
02-13-11, 15:51
I have a UBR on my 20" and its incredibly awesome. Im buying another for my 14.5"

MTechnik
02-13-11, 15:55
I use one lower and multiple uppers - 20" stainless bull barrel, bipod, glass, and 11" trx extreme with lightweight barrel. From the bench with the bull barrel it is great, it locks up very solid. And with the lighter upper, it works fine too - I haven't felt that it is tail-heavy.

Pappabear
02-13-11, 23:49
When it is fully collapsed, how much longer is it than a LMT SOPMOD? Or is it?

Pappabear
02-13-11, 23:50
The UBR is a good stock.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5217/5423199211_386f990617_b.jpg

Nice looking Guns Cameron. Very sharp. UBR's look very clean on those.

txn
02-14-11, 00:06
When it is fully collapsed, how much longer is it than a LMT SOPMOD? Or is it

Magpul has it listed 8" collapsed.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=12786

This link is to a thread making the comparison between the LMT SOPMOD and the UBR.

Just looking at rifles with them on makes me want it more. I buddy who is going to talk to one of his wholesalers and seee what kind of deal he can get for me. Fingers crossed on that.

txn
02-14-11, 00:09
I have a buddy* late night studying kills my ability to type

Watrdawg
02-14-11, 08:06
I have one on my 14.5 Middy and love it. Cheek weld is great and solid. Adjustability as far as LOP is very easy. The stock doesn't wobble at all and it just plain feels good. I believe I'll use that same stock on most any AR I purchase in the future.

sjc3081
02-14-11, 09:31
I like my UBR, yes it is heavier than the CTR, but I used my UBR to smash off a door knob with no ill effects. The door knob was the only loser.

triggs75
02-16-11, 00:56
You should think about a green build because DSGarms has their going green sale and it could save you $60 on a UBR.

http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/MAG330-OD.aspx

Chad