PDA

View Full Version : MasterPiece Arms .380

jc75754
02-13-11, 09:37
Yet again i come to consult the gun gods. I have found that concealing my glock 19 is becoming very difficult and rather than carry it, it is left in the car rendering it useless. I wanted to jump on the .380 train but I found all the small .380s uncomfortable to shoot (Keltec, LCP, S&W). Then yesterday at the range I shot a NAA .380 and liked it alot it felt like a real gun, not a toy. The only drawback is the premium price. Now to the point. Masterpiece arms has a .380 that is very similar in design but the last one I saw on gunbroker went for $275 nib. I do understand the mag release is a bit odd but this is a gun to fight to my bigger gun. I have searched the web but not really found any real credible reviews. Does anyone have any experience with these?

Thanks for the help.
Justin

https://www.masterpiecearms.com/proddetail.php?prod=MPA380B&cat=38

Avenger29
02-13-11, 09:50
What exactly about your G19 is difficult to conceal for you? Maybe a different holster or holster location would change your opinion? What about the Ruger LC9?

Just saying that I wouldn't want to go with such an oddball pistol/maker for my personal defense...I'd try to stick with a G19, G26, or S&W M&P 9C or something from a reputable maker.

ssracer
02-13-11, 10:27
I second trying out a G26. Much smaller for concealment, but you could still carry your G19 mags for backup to have more ammo on hand.

I've got a G27 that I carry every day in a crossbreed supertuck. Very comfortable and nearly impossible to tell I'm carrying.

skyugo
02-13-11, 14:48
cute gun..
the glock 26 or HK p7 in my experience provides easy shooting service caliber power in a more concealable package.
there's a few other mini 9's worth looking at too, p2000sk, m&p compacts, etc.

not saying a 380 is never a good idea, but i think in a lot of cases perception of what we can carry invisibly is different from what we can actually carry.

Pistol Shooter
02-13-11, 15:02
cute gun..
the glock 26 or HK p7 in my experience provides easy shooting service caliber power in a more concealable package.
there's a few other mini 9's worth looking at too, p2000sk, m&p compacts, etc.

not saying a 380 is never a good idea, but i think in a lot of cases perception of what we can carry invisibly is different from what we can actually carry.

Excellent advice IMO. :)

I'll add the Walther PPS to the above mentioned handguns.

I carry an HK P2000 SK and my wife carries a 9mm PPS.

Both are extremely accurate and dead nuts reliable.

Very easy to conceal too.

Good luck jc75754, keep us updated on your progress.

jc75754
02-13-11, 16:23
I have a cross breed iwb holster and it does conceal well but my work is not so carry friendley. I am looking at this gun b/c it is so small I could put it anywhere on my body and it would be comfortable. it is metal so I would not have to worry about sitting on it. I would be concerned about the small polymer frame guns breaking eventually. I do like the pps but not the price.

Avenger29
02-13-11, 18:50
I would be concerned about the small polymer frame guns breaking eventually
:blink: :lol:

I'm sorry, what? Poly frame guns aren't made of Chinese toy plastic.

I don't know why you'd want to go with a gun from such a small company that is practically unheard of. If you look at other small companies making such small, budget guns (Diamondback, Sccy or WTFever) they really don't have a great record of success...

You want small, you are generally going to have to compromise in some way... Trading quality/reliability for cheap initial price is never a good idea if you can avoid it. Personally, if I had a hard budget but needed a tiny gun, I'd go with a more proven maker even though they are more uncomfortable to shoot (one of the reasons I do not own small handguns)

jc75754
02-13-11, 19:36
It may be unrealistic but I thought that I had heard the frame on a keltec cracking when a guy sat on it. Could be wrong though that is why I come here to people whith more knowledge.

skyugo
02-13-11, 21:10
use a smartcarry "crotch holster" with a glock 26, or a p7 (again, just the little 9's that i personally own) It's not the fastest draw, but you will have no worries about someone at work noticing. about the only way to tell your carrying would be a TSA style pat down or a metal detector. No one at work is going to give you a full monty pat down ;)

A friend of mine carried a g26 in a less than permissive environment for a year incident free in this manner ;)

That said, a p7 is kind of a better choice thanks to the full size grip, the short slide, and the super safe squeeze safety. That's what i use if i need to use the smart carry lately.

another cool option-tuckable holster such as an mtac, with your t-shirt tucked over it, and an untucked button down or a sweater or something over that.

Avenger29
02-13-11, 21:17
What is your dress code at work? Suit and tie? Tucked in shirt? Untucked polo and khakis?

Magic_Salad0892
02-14-11, 03:18
Keep logistics on your side, with the Glock 26.

Iraqgunz
02-14-11, 04:06
I would carry a G26 any day of the week before I would carry a .380.

jc75754
02-14-11, 08:31
I like the smart carry option and I think that I will try that before I buy another gun. Thanks guys.

skyugo
02-14-11, 12:18
I like the smart carry option and I think that I will try that before I buy another gun. Thanks guys.

a glock 19 is on the upper end of what you can carry comfortably in a smart carry. i know their website shows a dude with a 1911 in one, but i think most people wouldn't find that comfortable.

glock 26, hk p7, walther pps, m&p compact, all much better choices.