PDA

View Full Version : High Cap 45 for Defense: Mods and Setup

TXBob
02-13-11, 12:39
If I wanted to carry a high cap 1911, what would be the proper way to get it setup.

I've searched through the archives and it is apparent that an STI is not a defensive gun, it is a game gun. My question is what would it take to modify a STI (or say the Springfield High cap/Para p14--cheaper starting pistol) into a reliable 1911.

I am aware of the caveat that the high capacity of choice for duty in 45 is the HK or MP. I'm wondering how to "push the envelope" and get 14/15 rounds of 45. My options would be a FNP-45 (good but not HK good) or 1911. The 1911 can be made to HK standards from what I understand, but takes maintenance and work. What would it take to push a high cap 45 1911 to the HK performance standard?

The other caveat is I will probably go down to 9mm or 40 in the meantime until this project (if possible) is finished.

Alaskapopo
02-13-11, 20:31
If I wanted to carry a high cap 1911, what would be the proper way to get it setup.

I've searched through the archives and it is apparent that an STI is not a defensive gun, it is a game gun. My question is what would it take to modify a STI (or say the Springfield High cap/Para p14--cheaper starting pistol) into a reliable 1911.

I am aware of the caveat that the high capacity of choice for duty in 45 is the HK or MP. I'm wondering how to "push the envelope" and get 14/15 rounds of 45. My options would be a FNP-45 (good but not HK good) or 1911. The 1911 can be made to HK standards from what I understand, but takes maintenance and work. What would it take to push a high cap 45 1911 to the HK performance standard?

The other caveat is I will probably go down to 9mm or 40 in the meantime until this project (if possible) is finished.
My roomates duty gun is a STI tactical in 45 acp. It had a rocky start but now it works well. I have been shooting my STI edge in 40sw for the last few years and it has been a reliable solid pistol in competition to the point I would trust it for carry.
Pat

DocGKR
02-13-11, 20:44
Pretty much every organization and individual end-user I know that has tried double stack 1911's has ultimately met with failure...

If you want a double stack .45 ACP, get an M&P45, HK45, or possibly G21sf.

fhpchris
02-13-11, 21:25
I carry a USP .45 Tactical, and honestly I really wish I had a smaller striker fired 9mm to carry sometimes(not all the time!). A double stack 1911 is even heavier than the USP so honestly I would say just carry 4 single stack 1911 mags and leave it be.

If I carried a 1911 I would carry 8+1 and then two more mags of 8 for a total of 25. I carry 12+1 with a spare mag of 12 now... for a total of....25.

Get my point? 15 rounds of .45 ACP is only going to weigh alot. Who cares if carrying 25 rounds takes two or three mags?

I really wish I kept my FN 5-7. I am sure it would have done the job if I just shoot the bad guys in the head :)

A glock 19 is a good alternative for carry when the 1911 might not be the best choice (summer...etc....) also...

glocktogo
02-13-11, 22:25
I don't think it's a good idea to carry match grade guns as duty guns. They have tighter chambers and tighter tolerances between the barrel, slide & frame. While these are nice for accuracy, they aren't as good for reliability in a duty gun that's exposed to more than a day at the range. If you want a hi-cap .45 for duty, get a duty grade gun like the M&P, HK, FN or Glock. JMO, YMMV

TXBob
02-13-11, 22:32
Pretty much every organization and individual end-user I know that has tried double stack 1911's has ultimately met with failure...

If you want a double stack .45 ACP, get an M&P45, HK45, or possibly G21sf.

I was afraid you might say that. I think perhaps I am putting too much emphasis on the round count (10 in both MP and HK which as I understand are the top platforms for 45). I'm fighting the nagging feeling that I must carry a 45 (old habits die hard--I did read the info on 9 vs 45 vs 40).

I love my 1911, but the 8 vs 17 (or even 12-15) has already been discussed to my satisfaction that the point being high cap wins over single stack.

I should have realized that the reason its rare is it doesn't work well.

I've got a lot to mull over for my personal carry weapon and many "truths" to unlearn. All you Jedi masters have clouded my judgement :D

fhpchris
02-14-11, 00:02
I was afraid you might say that. I think perhaps I am putting too much emphasis on the round count (10 in both MP and HK which as I understand are the top platforms for 45). I'm fighting the nagging feeling that I must carry a 45 (old habits die hard--I did read the info on 9 vs 45 vs 40).

I love my 1911, but the 8 vs 17 (or even 12-15) has already been discussed to my satisfaction that the point being high cap wins over single stack.

I should have realized that the reason its rare is it doesn't work well.

I've got a lot to mull over for my personal carry weapon and many "truths" to unlearn. All you Jedi masters have clouded my judgement :D

IMHO, hicap does not really win over single stack. You need to be looking for the most reliable 1911, not the heaviest and most complex.

8 vs 12 is not a big deal
8 vs 33 is a big deal! ........(if you carry 6*33 round magazines!)

The only time 12 is better than 8 is IDPA -- 8+1 shots on paper targets isnt 10 :) It really sucks to compete with polymer 9 guys that don't have to do a mag change at all.....

Even recent history has told us that if you have 33 round mags and do not train you will not be successful.

I agree with you that with some of these +6 baseplates on glock mags, the sheer magazine numbers can be daunting!

The most important thing is to have a weapon that you can operate so well under stress that you will not even think about it and to use a weapon that you are very skilled with.

Even 33 round mags will not matter if you cannot hit what you are aiming at, have a malfunction, or take large amounts of time to reload. All of my friends that carry 1911s also compete with them. They are very good and fast at mag changes! I never see the guns they carry or compete with malfunction ever, and they could do a mag change blind folded faster than many of those polymer 9mm guns you so desire usually do with other shooters.

The 8 round capacity is not a problem and the thin 1911 mags are a godsend. No way could I carry two loaded mags for the usp in my pocket... Carrying 3*10 rounders loose in my pocket would not be impossible, and carrying 4-8 mags on a belt has been done. How much ammo do you honestly intend to carry?

Alaskapopo
02-14-11, 00:24
More ammo is always better all things being equal. But things are never quite equal. I shoot my single stack 1911 slightly better than I do Glocks or other pistols. So for those first 9 rounds my hits and speed should be better. I have also worked on mag changes to the point I can do them in 1.5 to 2 seconds. The question I have to ask myself is how many situations are there likely to be where I will have to fire more than 9 rounds without having time to get behind cover and reload. It could happen but I have to balance that against my hit probability with a weapon I am more comfortable with. I am strongly considering have a custom 2011 Tactical built in 9mm for duty. It would hold 24 rounds of ammunition be very easy to shoot and from what I have seen very reliable.
Pat

kaltblitz
02-14-11, 01:14
If you want a high capacity 45 ACP look to the Glock 21 or 21SF. If you want to stick to a 1911 stick to the single stack Government format.

As Doc stated the double-stack 1911's are generally more of a pain than they're worth in terms of size/weight and more importantly reliability.