PDA

View Full Version : Your Thoughts on this BCM Upper

dtibbals
02-13-11, 17:44
I am working on a new build and looking for something different then what I already have. I have a couple of M4 type 16" uppers by LMT, also an LMT CQB MRP in 16". I am looking for something that will give a 75-77 grain bullet a little more legs down range, be as accurate as possible still easy to use in multiple rolls however it's primary usage would be carbine training, 3 gun competitions (not a patrol rifle etc). It is going to sport a variable optic..currently considering a SB 1-4 or the upcoming 1-8 or a US Optic 1.8-8 etc. More concerned with the longer distance ability since the other rifles have RDS on them.

My lower has a Wilson Combat single stage trigger and LMT SOPMOD stock, the rest is milspec.

Here is the upper in question:

BCM SPR MK 12 Mod 0 Bravo

Specs: ( I will be including some options, definitely will have a full top rail)
Features included in basic price:

PRI Gen III 12" Carbon Fiber Handguard (Black)

PRI Folding Front Sight Base

BCM SS410™ 18" Stainless Barrel, Ionbond Black DLC

Rifle Length Gas System

BCM Bolt Carrier Group (HPT/MPI), auto

Standard BCM Charging Handle

Optional Features

Optional Rail: ARMS #38 SPR Top Rail

Muzzle Options: A2 Flash Hider, Ops Inc, KAC, PWS, PRI, Vltor Mod 1

Charging Handle Options: Standard BCM Charging Handle, BCMGUNFIGHTER, PRI Gas Buster (w/ Combat Latch)

Features

* M4 Feed Ramp Barrel Extension
* M4 Feed Ramp Flat Top Receiver
* T-Marked Upper Receivers
* 1/8 Twist Rates
* 5.56 NATO Chamber
* 410 Stainless Steel
* HPT (High Pressure Test) Barrels
* MPI (Magnetic Particle Inspected) Barrels

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j88/dtchicago/BCM-URG-Mk12-0PRIBlack-7.jpg

Your thoughts and or other uppers that are equal to or better with an 18"-20" barrel. Price for this upper is around $1350 configured.

C4IGrant
02-13-11, 17:51
The BCM barrel is fantastic. I don't know that I would go with PRI/ARMS components though. YMMV.

C4

dtibbals
02-13-11, 18:35
Grant...this is how they configure it...I am not apposed to buying the parts and sending it to someone to build up....I am looking at keeping it as light as possible and the only thing I really need any rail space for is a flashlight...I am going to mount the optic in a LaRue mount and depending on what I choose for an optic I don't want to run out of rail space on top. Any suggestions?

bleaman225
02-13-11, 19:47
Any suggestions?

Same BCM upper assembly with a 13" Troy TRX extreme in place of the PRI/ARMS thing.
That would be the bees knees...

SKINJA11
02-13-11, 19:48
i.ve got a 18 ''ionblack /14''dd lite upper on a sundevil lower,gold trigger,ubr,ta31 green horseshoe,this rifle is boringly moa,eats steel swingers all the way to 500 meters with just a touch of the trigger:)

C4IGrant
02-13-11, 19:50
Same BCM upper assembly with a 13" Troy TRX extreme in place of the PRI/ARMS thing.

Bingo.

C4

aflin
02-13-11, 20:19
Troy TRX extreme in place of the PRI/ARMS thing.

Big +1

Pappabear
02-13-11, 23:44

What is great about the Troy? My friend loves his and I know many do.
I went DD route so I have no experience with Troy. Just curious from Troy users.

bleaman225
02-13-11, 23:50
What is great about the Troy? My friend loves his and I know many do.
I went DD route so I have no experience with Troy. Just curious from Troy users.

What I like about them is...

-lightweight due to lack of excess rail
-don't have to cover the whole forend in rail covers
-lower profile (I can fit my smaller mits around them easily)
-they are "grippy"
-now Noveske makes some badass sling mounts to compliment them
-they actually provide barrel nut wrenches with the rail
-they are now available for 308 ARs (my 12" for the AR10 is in the mail as I type)

I have used DD Lite Rails on my SBR and AR10 in the past. They are excellent rails and very light, as the name implies. After trying out the TRX extreme, I switched out my Lite Rails to 11" TRX. It was a personal preference and I feel that it was worth the hassle of swapping out the rails. Now that the AR10 rails are shipping I am content. Now we shall be buying up ammo again

dtibbals
02-13-11, 23:50
That Troy looks pretty cool!!!! Just wondering why you guys like it better than the one BCM is using?

Also does anyone have an idea what accuracy could be expected out of a BCM upper like this? I have no idea who is making their barrels...I have also looked at Larue but really don't want all the weight of their rail system but they claim some pretty impressive accuracy out of their rifles.

CarlosLehder
02-14-11, 08:40
Does look very nice, how much is all that going to run?

SteveL
02-14-11, 09:24
That Troy looks pretty cool!!!! Just wondering why you guys like it better than the one BCM is using?

The two are very similar and they're both made by Troy. Here's the link to the TRX battle rails on Troy's site where you can see both styles.

http://troyind.com/battlerails/trx-battlerails

Here's a thread comparing the two different styles. I suspect either would serve you well.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=46575

dtibbals
02-14-11, 12:54
The hand guard BCM is using on this upper is a PRI Gen III 12" Carbon Fiber Handguard (Black). Since weight is an issue I would guess the PRI is lighter but have not seen an actual spec on it's weight yet.

dtibbals
02-14-11, 13:01
The hand guard BCM is using on this upper is a PRI Gen III 12" Carbon Fiber Handguard (Black). Since weight is an issue I would guess the PRI is lighter but have not seen an actual spec on it's weight yet.

Just found the weight of the PRI...it is 12.5" and weights 15oz. There was a post of the VTAC weight but seems to have been taken down...anyone know the weight? I looked it up on Troy web page and they don't reference the weight.

Neo Mara
02-14-11, 13:16
Just found the weight of the PRI...it is 12.5" and weights 15oz. There was a post of the VTAC weight but seems to have been taken down...anyone know the weight? I looked it up on Troy web page and they don't reference the weight.

Rob has you covered
http://www.tacticalyellowvisor.net/69016/69058.html

13" TRX Extreme 11.43 oz
13" Vtac version 12.60 oz

dtibbals
02-14-11, 13:19
Rob has you covered
http://www.tacticalyellowvisor.net/69016/69058.html

13" TRX Extreme 11.43 oz
13" Vtac version 12.60 oz

WOW isn't the troy products metal? I am shocked it is lighter then the carbon fiber...now I wonder if it is really apple to apple since the PRI actually has a few rail sections on it...hmmmm I wonder if BCM would even change out the hand guard?