PDA

View Full Version : Getting ready to reload.........need good .223 soft point bullet recommendation

JMEL
02-13-11, 19:36
Hey all,

I just recently built several 1/2" thick steel gong targets in 6", 8", and a large 24 inch'er. Looking for a good soft point bullet to bang these gongs with. All my brass is ready to go (@ 500 cases prep'd) just need a good soft point that won't eat up the gongs. Distances for shooing will be from 100 to 300 yrds.

Thanks in advance,

JMEL

KellyTTE
02-13-11, 20:55
Hey all,

I just recently built several 1/2" thick steel gong targets in 6", 8", and a large 24 inch'er. Looking for a good soft point bullet to bang these gongs with. All my brass is ready to go (@ 500 cases prep'd) just need a good soft point that won't eat up the gongs. Distances for shooing will be from 100 to 300 yrds.

Thanks in advance,

JMEL

I've had excellent feeding and consistent accuracy from the Hornady 55gr softpoints. Not the cheapest out there, but they work really well for softpoints.

ST911
02-13-11, 21:09
Shooting steel without damage isn't as much about bullet type as it is about the variables of projectile diameter, velocity, steel composition, resistance, and impact and deflection angles.

Even frangible ammunition will dimple or penetrate steel if it's not of sufficient strength, is hung improperly, is shoot at too close a distance, or is loaded at too high a velocity.

I mostly shoot softpoints, particularly the Hornady 55 JSP bullet. Excellent bullet, but subject to all of the above.

JMEL
02-13-11, 21:19
I want something on the cheap side because it's likely I will be loading for me and 2 other guys as well with their supplied brass. The targets are made from left over cut outs from a place that makes ski lifts. Loose hung from a tree my .308 pushing nato FMJ cuts through as smooth as a drill bit. The new gongs are welded to a rod that sits in an A frame. The gongs hang at a slight angle so that they will swing back as hit. I'm hoping this will cut down on gong damage and help to deflect the rounds down to the ground. Denting doesn't bother me I just don't want them drilled to hell like my .308 did.

JMEL

christcorp
02-13-11, 21:35
I don't reload .223, because at $4 a box, there isn't much of a savings. And for me, time is more important. I simply went to a local metal shop in town, and asked if he had any scrap AR500, AR550, or AR600 steel. He had a piece of AR500 strength steel about 18" x 15". It was 5/8" thick. He basically let me have it. I asked him if I gave him $20, would he drill 2 holes in it, in the corners. He did, but didn't charge me. I hang it by a chain extended across a couple of 2x4's. Then, I shoot all the FMJ ammo I want at it, at 100 yards away.

Even if I were to reload .223; which I never will; I'd reload FMJ because it's much cheaper. Just find a better target. Hell; you can buy AR500 metal targets on ebay for around $50.

JMEL
02-13-11, 21:55
I was looking at some Remington pointed soft points at Cabela's in 55grn. at @ $12.00 for 100 ct. That price alone will help keep the cost down and they should work well enough on coyotes as well.

JMEL

river rat richard
02-13-11, 23:21
+1 on hornady 55 sp & fmj. I get 500 rnd boxes for $50 @local sporting goods.26.3 of TAC is max,and will give you same velocity as xm193. 25grains of TAC is a good starting load for a5.56 chamber. if your gonna crimp,make sure you trim to same lenght first.

Semper Paratus
02-14-11, 17:10
You might try Midway's Dogtown Bullets. Killed a few groundhogs with them in my .223 Model 70. At 200 yards or so the exit wound is quite large. They are fairly frangible in that a shoulder blade at 50m or less leaves no single exit wound on a full size groundhog. When caught on sale the price is reasonable.

JMEL
02-26-11, 11:36
Guys one thing I just noticed is some denting on my brass. The loads are HotShot Brand just low cost FMJ 55 gr. but with re loadable brass. The shells are getting slammed into the deflector hard enough to dent them and they actually end up lying out to the side of me but more forward rather than to the side or rear. I have read this is no big deal but if there is a way to correct this I'd like to. Are these Hot Shots just that "Hot" or is it a buffer and spring issue.

JMEL

mike_556
02-26-11, 11:43
JMEL--is this an AR that's dinging up the brass? I've seen a mini-14 wreak hell on brass, however I do put a film of black rtv on the AR's deflector to soften the impact and make nice small piles of brass during HP competitions...

river rat richard
02-26-11, 13:47
you might be over gassed. if you seach threads you will find out how to tune your bolt dwell time by changing buffer weight.if brass is being thowin forward of 3o clock your bolt speed is to high.hard on bolt.search the threads and get schooled by the xperts!

JMEL
02-26-11, 13:54
Yeah search function for me has been hit or miss as is the case with most forums. I did however get the answer I was looking for in another thread and will be getting a couple of heavier buffers to try out.

JMEL