PDA

View Full Version : Relocating Gas Port

OldState
02-13-11, 19:41
"Relocate Gas Port For moving Gas Port Location $35.00
If you want move your gas port from the rifle to MID, or MID to CAR. If the new location needs contoured, the contour fee/job must be selected."

This is a service ADCO offers. I am looking to see if there is anyone who has moved the gas port from carbine length to mid.

I am looking to get my first AR and am probably going to get a LE6920. My only issue has been the carbine length gas system on the 16" barrel.

Is this an option to consider? Also, the wording could imply you can only shorten a gas system.

Any help would be appreciated.

C4IGrant
02-13-11, 19:48
I wouldn't do it.

If you want Colt quality, but in a middy then look at BCM, DD or Noveske.

C4

MarkG
02-13-11, 19:49
"Relocate Gas Port For moving Gas Port Location $35.00
If you want move your gas port from the rifle to MID, or MID to CAR. If the new location needs contoured, the contour fee/job must be selected."

This is a service ADCO offers. I am looking to see if there is anyone who has moved the gas port from carbine length to mid.

I am looking to get my first AR and am probably going to get a LE6920. My only issue has been the carbine length gas system on the 16" barrel.

Is this an option to consider? Also, the wording could imply you can only shorten a gas system.

Any help would be appreciated.

What is the issue with a 6920 that you would consider relocating the gas port? By the way, the cost is really north of $400 as the Colt barrel will be a total loss.

OldState
02-13-11, 21:14
I have been in the research phase for a month now and happen to come across this the other day.

I've found several debate regarding carbine and mid length gas system. The mid length seems to be the overwhelming choice but the 6920 is often recommended despite the carbine length gas system.

After seeing this service I was curious why moving the gas port hadn't been mentioned much. It would seem to be an inexpensive way to have the best of both worlds if it was viable.

cop1211
02-13-11, 21:49
Get the Colt 6920 and dont look back, the carbine length is just fine.

Save up for a second rifle, or upper in midlength.

ucrt
02-13-11, 21:51

I'd get in touch with Red Jacket Firearms. I'd bet they can install two Gas Blocks with proper valving so you can switch back and forth between carbine and mid-length actions.

Just curious, since you've been researching for a month, what is the consensus you've discovered.

;)

MarkG
02-13-11, 22:00

I'd get in touch with Red Jacket Firearms. I'd bet they can install two Gas Blocks with proper valving so you can switch back and forth between carbine and mid-length actions.

Just curious, since you've been researching for a month, what is the consensus you've discovered.

;)

The only surprise here is that it didn't happen sooner.

If you can dream it, we can build it! :suicide:

OldState
02-13-11, 23:33

;)

:blink:
As previously stated, mid-length much better than carbine but le6920 is still the best gun. That is what I've gathered.

As for all the hating on Red Jacket and the show; I think we should be happy that there are any gun related shows on channels as popular as Discovery being that the entertainment industry is 90% anti gun.

justin_247
02-14-11, 01:40
First AR? Get the 6920 and never look back. Then you can look into fine tuning gas systems as you become more skilled and knowledgeable.

outrider627
02-14-11, 02:45

;)

HA! :D

OP, if you go with a 6920 just stick with the carbine gas. If you want a mid length, buy a quality mid-length. A 16in carbine gas system may not be the optimal system out there, but its been getting the job done for years. I recommend you look into a 6720, lightweight barrel model, because when you start adding stuff to the rifle like optics, light, sling, foregrip, whatever, the weight adds up quickly.

OldState
02-14-11, 08:54
HA! :D

OP, if you go with a 6920 just stick with the carbine gas. If you want a mid length, buy a quality mid-length. A 16in carbine gas system may not be the optimal system out there, but its been getting the job done for years. I recommend you look into a 6720, lightweight barrel model, because when you start adding stuff to the rifle like optics, light, sling, foregrip, whatever, the weight adds up quickly.

I'm going to order the 6920 today. This is the first gun I've ordered online. I hope it is an easy process.

As for the 6720, I did check it out but I want the 1/7 twist. I think the 6720 is 1/9(?).

I'm going to try and keep this gun lean as far as accessories.

SteveL
02-14-11, 10:07
Based on what you're saying and what I can find online right now I think you may be looking at the CR6720 which does list a 1/9 barrel. What you would want is the AR6720 (maybe also listed as LE6720?) which has a 1/7 barrel, as shown here:

http://colt6720.com/index.php/the-colt-6720

OldState
02-14-11, 10:33
Based on what you're saying and what I can find online right now I think you may be looking at the CR6720 which does list a 1/9 barrel. What you would want is the AR6720 (maybe also listed as LE6720?) which has a 1/7 barrel, as shown here:

http://colt6720.com/index.php/the-colt-6720

I was looking at the wrong one. I'm just not digging the pencil barrel....

C4IGrant
02-14-11, 11:38
I was looking at the wrong one. I'm just not digging the pencil barrel....

Why not? They are a FANTASTIC choice (might even be the BEST choice).

C4

87GN
02-14-11, 12:38

C4

Gotta be able to attach that M203... :confused:

OldState
02-14-11, 13:06

C4
Being that I don't intend to carry this thing all day everyday, I don't see any advantages in a lite barrel.

For years I have been planning on getting an AR and finally have decided to "pull the trigger". That being said, I originally wanted a precision target gun with a heavy barrel. (since I've been into guns I've always agreed with old Townsend Whelen that "only accurate guns are interesting").

Now I've decided on a fighting gun (at least for my 1st AR). I joined a second club that is into the practical shooting disciplines. My old club always had a precision shooting culture (bullseye pistol, NRA High power, CMP - also skeet and trap...the old fashioned stuff)
I guess that's part of the reason I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around it.

C4IGrant
02-14-11, 13:18
Being that I don't intend to carry this thing all day everyday, I don't see any advantages in a lite barrel.

Sure, but when you do (or take a carbine training class), you will appreciate it.

For years I have been planning on getting an AR and finally have decided to "pull the trigger". That being said, I originally wanted a precision target gun with a heavy barrel. (since I've been into guns I've always agreed with old Townsend Whelen that "only accurate guns are interesting").
Now I've decided on a fighting gun (at least for my 1st AR). I joined a second club that is into the practical shooting disciplines. My old club always had a precision shooting culture (bullseye pistol, NRA High power, CMP - also skeet and trap...the old fashioned stuff)
I guess that's part of the reason I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around it.

Heavy barrels don't mean that they are more accurate. It just means that the GUN is heavier and thus less likely to move.

C4

C4IGrant
02-14-11, 13:18
Gotta be able to attach that M203... :confused:

LOL, right. Forgot about that. :agree:

C4

OldState
02-14-11, 13:49
Sure, but when you do (or take a carbine training class), you will appreciate it.

Heavy barrels don't mean that they are more accurate. It just means that the GUN is heavier and thus less likely to move.

C4

Understood. And I don't expect a chrome lined non-free floated barrel to be super accurate...but there are also thermal benefits of more mass. Don't you fire a lot of ammo in a carbine class, etc?

I will give it another look. The price of 6920's seems to have gone up over the weekend. To bad the wife gave me the go-ahead Saturday night.:cray:

C4IGrant
02-14-11, 14:20
Understood. And I don't expect a chrome lined non-free floated barrel to be super accurate...but there are also thermal benefits of more mass. Don't you fire a lot of ammo in a carbine class, etc?

Uhm no. Thin barrels cool down faster than thick barrel.

I will give it another look. The price of 6920's seems to have gone up over the weekend. To bad the wife gave me the go-ahead Saturday night.:cray:

Watch gun broker as well. They are sometimes dumped on there.

C4

ucrt
02-14-11, 14:35

======================================

There are other AR's that will serve you well at that price range AND you can get them in Mid-Length actions.
Take a look at The Chart and see what you find.

OldState
02-14-11, 14:54
Uhm no. Thin barrels cool down faster than thick barrel.
C4

But they likewise heat up faster and get hotter with fewer rounds. This could effect accuracy and the life of the barrel as metal only gets softer the hotter it gets. Wouldn't the gov't barrel be a happy medium?
I thought that is why the pencil barrels were dropped from m16's.

Then again I may never fire enough at one time for this to mater.

OldState
02-14-11, 14:57
======================================

There are other AR's that will serve you well at that price range AND you can get them in Mid-Length actions.
Take a look at The Chart and see what you find.

That was my original plan but since the 6920 was selling for $1099 recently, I figured I might as well get the Colt nostalgic/resale reasons.

MistWolf
02-14-11, 17:25
Uhm no. Thin barrels cool down faster than thick barrel...

C4

Heat isn't just about temperature, it's about the amount of heat the barrel has absorbed. Barrels with less mass reach higher temperatures because the heat is more concentrated. With the raised temperatures, the barrel is more susceptible to heat damage. Added to that is barrels of less mass and of the same length (assuming both are circular) have less surface with which to radiate heat.

If one were to shoot two barrels, one massing 1lbs and the other 2lbs, it would take more heat (more rounds fired) to bring the 2lbs barrel to a temperature of 200 degrees. With both barrels heated to 200 degrees, it would take the 2lbs barrel longer than the 1lbs barrel to cool to ambient temperatures because it's holding more heat.

However, if both barrels were subjected to the same amount of heat (measured in joules, BTUs or other unit of energy), the 2lbs barrel would have a lower temperature than the 1lbs barrel.

This does not mean the pencil barrel is not a good choice for a carbine. A light-weight fast handling carbine is a joy. It just means like everything else in life, barrel mass is a trade-off. In this case, I would choose the fast handling qualities of the light barrel over the thermal advantages of the heavy barrel.

Also, quality light-weight barrels are very accurate

OldState
02-14-11, 18:21
I wonder what the weight difference is.

87GN
02-14-11, 18:50
All barrels will get hot if you shoot them enough, and there is not a huge difference between government and lightweight. I'd rather have a lightweight barrel with a good rail that allowed for air to circulate than a heavier barrel under standard handguards or a crappy rail.

MistWolf
02-15-11, 05:03
The .gov profile makes little sense to me. It's thicker at the muzzle where the mass does no good controlling the heat at the critical area of the throat. Putting the extra weight at the muzzle only increases the arm, making it harder for the shooter to change directions with the rifle.

What was the original intention of the .gov profile barrel?

Magic_Salad0892
02-15-11, 05:15
In theory the misplaced mass at the end of the barrel on a government profile could make the barrel more likely to droop.

In theory.

rjacobs
02-15-11, 07:55
I think the whole mid vs. car gas system debate is a bit over blown. How long have mid-length guns been out in any great quantity? 2 years? I know when I got my DDM4 in 08 I dont think there was such a thing as a mid-length gas system(or at least it wasnt popular).

I am not saying the mid-length system is not good, but people make it seem like the car system is so terrible that people are staying away from it.

I have shot both. I personally didnt notice a huge difference. If the CAR system beats up parts a little more than a MID, I dont know, maybe.

I would not hesitate to buy a gun in either form if it was setup how I wanted it.

M193 BALL
02-15-11, 12:00
Ive been happy with the carbine gas system for along time now.
Havent ran into any problems.

OldState
02-15-11, 17:35
Well I'll let you know my experiences. I just bought a LE6920. Should be delivered next week.

Thanks for all the help.

As for the perfect barrel profile heat wise, I guess heavier at the throat and fluted the rest of the way?

C4IGrant
02-16-11, 09:20
Heat isn't just about temperature, it's about the amount of heat the barrel has absorbed. Barrels with less mass reach higher temperatures because the heat is more concentrated. With the raised temperatures, the barrel is more susceptible to heat damage. Added to that is barrels of less mass and of the same length (assuming both are circular) have less surface with which to radiate heat.

If one were to shoot two barrels, one massing 1lbs and the other 2lbs, it would take more heat (more rounds fired) to bring the 2lbs barrel to a temperature of 200 degrees. With both barrels heated to 200 degrees, it would take the 2lbs barrel longer than the 1lbs barrel to cool to ambient temperatures because it's holding more heat.

However, if both barrels were subjected to the same amount of heat (measured in joules, BTUs or other unit of energy), the 2lbs barrel would have a lower temperature than the 1lbs barrel.

This does not mean the pencil barrel is not a good choice for a carbine. A light-weight fast handling carbine is a joy. It just means like everything else in life, barrel mass is a trade-off. In this case, I would choose the fast handling qualities of the light barrel over the thermal advantages of the heavy barrel.

Also, quality light-weight barrels are very accurate

I understand what you are saying, but is fairly irrelevant (especially in a semi-auto weapon). If you look at the Majority of .Mil issued weapons in 5.56 (M16A1, M4, SCAR), they have a LW/Pencil barrel to a Govt type profile).

So I don't really look at it as a trade off. LW/Pencil barrels do all things well and they don't get hot enough to ever be concerned about anything being damaged IMHO.

C4