PDA

View Full Version : Mosquito Bars

HES
02-13-11, 21:42
Has anyone had any experience with mosquito bars? I was issued one a life time ago but never used it. Do they get the job done? Do they make frames for them if you dont have any way or where to tie them to?

bullseye
02-14-11, 11:55
Has anyone had any experience with mosquito bars? I was issued one a life time ago but never used it. Do they get the job done? Do they make frames for them if you dont have any way or where to tie them to?

i couldn't resist replying to this thread. i,
'm old, and have lived in mississippi all my life [ we got plenty of 'skeeters], and i have no idea of what you are talking about. what in the dickens is a ''mosquito bar''?? i'm not gonna nut out, and suggest all kind of clever, silly things it COULD be, i'm just politely asking,, WTF?????

HES
02-14-11, 13:25
Sorry about that. A mosquito bar is a piece of netting that forms a cube (sans one side) that you place over your sleeping area. It is meant to keep mosquitoes from tearing you up at night.

Here is a pic

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/frontline_01/mbar.jpg

Armati
03-13-11, 22:36
Just got issued one of these:

http://www.catomaoutdoor.com/Catalog/ProductInfo.aspx?id=155

Possibly one of the best pieces of field gear ever. The thing is super light and packs into a very small pouch. Check out the video to see how fast it is to deploy. Repacking it is a bit of a PITA but all in all one of the best shelters I have ever used.

So far I have only used the BedNet (not the enhanced shelter). I use a USMC tarp for a basha type hooch.

For around $100 it is well worth it.

yellowfin
03-15-11, 10:12
I remember having a hammock that was like this when I camped with the Scouts. Nifty stuff for sure.

Combat_Diver
04-02-11, 10:24
I remember getting issued two types of bars for the net. First is just wooden dowels approx 30" long with the ends beveled to fit into the holes on the horizontal bar. Second was a metal T bar that you sunk into the ground at the end of the cot. The ends of the T bar had a ring so you could tie the net to. I also used the folding net that Armati mentions and it is a PITA to refold, but works well on a cot.

CD

Armati
04-03-11, 01:44
Actually, after looking at the video on the Catoma site, and a bit of practice, I think I have cracked the code on refolding this thing. Now I can repack it about 30 seconds. If I am using my basha with bungie cords, I can now completely break camp in about 2 minutes. That is lightning fast compared to using a typical tent.

Low Drag
04-03-11, 08:33
I never used one with a cot but did use them to wrap up in while in warm/hot climates. I'd wrap it around me to keep the bugs off so I could sleep without getting hotter than hell under my poncho liner.

You can get creatative with ways to keep it up off your face if you just wrap up in it.

gsxr-fan
04-03-11, 12:25
The GI issue netting works well. If you need the wooden dowels for your cot and can't find'em no worries. Just use some 550 cord on the ends and you're in business!