PDA

View Full Version : Colt MT6400C or MT6400R

RONK
02-13-11, 21:42
Hi,I'm considering buying a new AR,I haven't had one in the last 12 years.I live in NJ and am somewhat limited to what we can own.It seem like my best choice would be a Colt,either the MT6400C or MT6400R,I'd like to ask your opinions on the best choice,essentially rail or no rail?Thanks for the help.
RONK

cqbdriver
02-14-11, 06:02
I have a MT6400C (bought during the Fed ban days) & LE6940 (appears to be the same as MT6400R except with the evil features).

I love the LE6940 – one piece upper, free-floating barrel. That said – you’re pretty much stuck with that rail as is. Also, it needs a special wrench to remove the barrel. Which I haven’t seen yet (it may be out there, but I haven’t seen it)

With the MT6400C, you can mod it 1000 & 1 ways to fit your needs or wants. You can find the rail that matches your exact requirements (I like the Sling Swivel Attachment Point near the receiver. Where the Colt is up at the front). Don’t need a rail, but want a light, get the Magpul MOE handguard. Don’t like the carbine length, change the barrel & rail out to mid-length. etc

Out of the box, I like the MT6400R better & if I knew it was configured the way I wanted, that is the one I would get. If you think that you may change it, the MT6400C would be easier to mod.

duece71
02-14-11, 06:47
I too have a Colt MT6400. 1:7 barrel, removable carry handle. It had the muzzle brake (I sent it to a gunsmith and switched to a birdcage FH). Mine was bought after the sunset of the AWB so it came with a RRA collapsable stock. I have put 500-600 rounds through it and it is very nice, no problems at all. I paid $1200 at a gun show for it. You will not go wrong IMO if you get a Colt. You are paying a little bit for the name, but Colt has been in the business for a long time...:rolleyes:
Good luck.

Displaced Texan
02-14-11, 09:51
I also live in NJ, and recently faced the same choice you are contemplating.
I chose the MT6400C. Mainly because of the ease of upgrading the 6400C vs the 6400R.
I do like the continuous rail platform of the 6400R if you plan on adding a scope to the rifle, and the rigidity of the monolithic upper.
The nice thing about the AR platform is pull a couple of pins, replace the upper, and your rifle can be anything you want.

All in all, I'd choose the 6400C if I had to do it all over again.

Good luck!

Jeff

RONK
02-15-11, 11:57
Thanks.I decided to go with the MT6400C because of it's as mentioned versatility.I do have an optic question(which may be better addressed on the optics forum),how much will the fixed front sight interfere with a 1-4 scope?If I were to use a fold down front sight system which ones are the best?
RONK

Displaced Texan
02-15-11, 12:55
Great choice. I don't have a good answer to your scope question, since I'm an iron sight guy, but I have heard that the front sight blurs out through the scope.

One thing I will recommend is the replacement of the factory muzzle brake. I found it to be obnoxiously loud, and it was annoying to othe shooters around me at the range.
I had Adco replace my factory brake with a EGW Gen II post ban comp. It works very well, and I'm pleased with it. Adco did a great job with the installation.

Good luck!

Jeff

RONK
02-15-11, 13:41
Jeff,thank you,I forgot to ask about the muzzle brake.
RONK