PDA

View Full Version : Leaking gas block?

itsturtle
02-13-11, 22:06
I just got done shooting my Daniel Defense for the first time today. It has the standard front sight block. I only put 100 rounds through it so far.

After 20-25 rounds, I noticed the barrel where the block is mounted had a damp look to it. When I wiped it off, I was pretty certain it was some type of lubricant and it had a slight black tint to it. Given how dirty the inside of the receiver gets, it's relatively clean. Question is, could this just be lube being shook out or is there a possible leak? Other than that small concern, it shot flawlessly. Accuracy was incredible despite my lower skill level.

If this topic has been dicussed earlier, a link would be nice. I've searched a bit but haven't found anything.

ucrt
02-13-11, 22:14

I don't think a minor leak at the Gas Block is a big deal. I've had several rifles that you could see tell-tale signs that small wisps of gas were leaking out. With a couple hundred shots, I've never noticed soot/oil/smut blow more than 3/4" - 1" or so from the Gas Block.

I think if you having a gas smudge that is 2"+ long extending from the Gas Block or a lot of soot inside the Hand Guards, you might call DD and get their opinion.

itsturtle
02-13-11, 22:21
This was no where near 2". At the most it may have been the size of a dime. I'm assuming it was probably either assembly lube or something pre-packaging. It isn't enough to make me question the rifles safety or quality, unless it continues to make larger and larger spots when I shoot. Just wanted to see if someone has experienced this before.

yhmspecter
02-13-11, 22:27
I just had an extremely loose gas block, but from the time the upper was brand new till the time the gas block loosened up, I had some carbon present around the gas tube and barrel as well as on a small part of my Surefire m952v