PDA

View Full Version : Bulgarian Waffle mags for AKM

Bison
09-07-07, 16:57
Ok, I picked up my new AKM. Now, I need to get some more mags. I posted a question a couple of weeks ago about AK mags and was happy to get all that info. I think I'm going to go with a few European steel mags and a couple of Bulgarian Waffle mags (the circle 10 mags). However, I've read a couple of places that even though the waffle mags were sturdy, that a few folks had experienced trouble with them. Problem is, I can't seem to find those posts anywhere (or even remember if they were posted here).

Here is the question: What, if any, trouble have folks had with the Bulgarian Waffle mags in either 30 round or 40 round configurations. Mine will be used in a Lancaster AKM-47.

Thanks in advance.

TOrrock
09-07-07, 17:30
You shouldn't have any problems what so ever with the Bulgarian waffle mags.

There are some "bullet" mags made in Bulgaria that are also available. They are black polymer and have cartridges molded into the side, basically like a "front of bullet this way" guide.

I haven't seen any but people have reported that they don't have the steel reinforcement at the locking points.

Stick with the "waffle" mags. Make sure they're Bulgarian, not US "Promag" crap.

What kind of receiver is your Lancaster built on?

Bison
09-07-07, 22:54
It is a romy "G" receiver, I think. All matching numbers. It is a 1mm stamped receiver with the little dimples over the mag-well.

Here is another question, that may not even turn out to be an issue after I take hit the range tomorrow morning: I was hand cycling a couple of rounds through the gun just to make sure things locked up right and fed right, etc. I put three rounds in the mag and pulled the bolt back and let it slam home. Everything worked fine until I got to the last round in the mag. That round would hang up. So, I repeated the same procedure. Same thing happened three times.

My first thought was that it was a mag problem. My second thought was that it might not be a problem at all considering me pulling the bolt back doesn't really equate to the force that will be applied to the bolt immediatly following firing the gun. What are ya'll's thoughts on the issue?

Isn't a last round hang-up usually a mag issue? I would've tried another mag but having just picked up the rifle a couple of days ago, I only have the mag that came with the gun. A steel Romanian 30 rounder.

As always, thanks in advance.

TOrrock
09-08-07, 08:07
The Romanian G kit was what it was built from, but what was the donor receiver? DCI, AUSA, OOW, Ewbanks?

What you're describing could very well be a mag issue, but you'll need to actually shoot it to find out.

DRich
09-08-07, 13:28
Be sure to clean your AK mags. I have a few hundred of them and many were hampered by dried grease/cosmo, mud, dirt and even a few insect cocoons. One of them had a note written in Cyrillic stuffed in the bottom of the mag. Strip it down and clean it out. That might just fix your problem.

Regarding the 30rd Bulgarian waffle mags...they are top notch, but some mag wells need to be relieved just a bit along the rear corners to allow them to fit nicely. Just depends on who built the gun and what mags they used for test fitting. Tolerances on these mags tend to vary a bit. Personally, I don't care for the 40rd mags. They look out of place and they don't fit in most mag pouches. If I need more than 30rds, then I'll use one of my 75rd/100rd drums and curse the extra weight! :)

Bison
09-08-07, 21:01
Well, no worries about the mag issue at the range today. It functioned flawlessly. I suppose the last round hanging up was just a problem when hand cycling and not when actually firing the rifle.

The only small hic-up I had was that it seemed like the trigger did not reset after one shot. It was quickly reset but I honestly do not recall what I did to reset it. It took less than three seconds or so. Anyway, other than that, the Lancaster was awesome.

I did break my sight adjustment tool though. Whoops. Oh well. They're cheap and apparently, cheaply made.

Bison
09-09-07, 21:53
The Romanian G kit was what it was built from, but what was the donor receiver? DCI, AUSA, OOW, Ewbanks?

Don't know. How do I find that out? Is it stamped somewhere?

Bison
09-09-07, 22:27

If DCI is "DC Industries Inc." then it is a DCI receiver.

TOrrock
09-10-07, 09:09
Yup, Dan Coonan Industries, also known as Nodak/Spud.

Excellent receiver.

Bison
09-10-07, 15:49
Yup, Dan Coonan Industries, also known as Nodak/Spud.

Excellent receiver.

Good to know. I'm well please so far.