PDA

View Full Version : 1-4x scope impressions

FishingFool
02-14-11, 11:17
Over the last year I've had the opportunity to check out a few 1-4x scopes while searching for optics for my 3 gun rifle. Here are a few observations i'd like to share and would like to trade notes:

Nightforce NXS 1-4 with FC-2 recticle
Nice clear glass. Not very day time visible with illum turn on max. I really like the wings on the recticle as it forces my attention inwards to the donut. Wished they would have put a stadia tree below the donut and upped the illum.

US Optics SNS-4S with Lund recticle, green illum.
Really clear glass. The windage, elevation and illumination turrets are covered with screw on covers. A big plus as the can't be twerked by accident but if you need to access them no tools are required. By far my favorite recticle so far. Sight in at 200 with the easy to see 2 moa dot and stadia tree underneath. Big circle makes it quick on close targets. Magnification ring moves a lot though. The one I played with has an mgm switchview on it and you gotta move it more than 270 degrees to get from 1x to 4x.

Vortex Razor HD 1-4x w/ EBR556 recticle
The recticle is great on 4x. Very nice and easy to see. However, back on 1x the lines are way too fine to be used without illumination. If they had filled the quadrants in and made them slightly larger it would be better. As it is, on 1x I can't even make out what part of a steel gong i'm holding on at 100 yards.

Burris XTR gen 2 1-4x
With the illumination on the small 200 yard dot blurs with the bottom line and confused me a first. With the illum off its okay but I think the recticle is kinda busy in the middle. Doesn't need a cattail as its easy to grip the rear bell and swing from 1-4. Field of view is great.

Trijicon TR24G Triangle
On 1x its almost as fast as my T-1. The green triangle stands out really well and just blares. Easy to do precise shots with the tip of triangle. A friend of mine keeps his sighted at 200 with the tip and the base works out to be a good referrence for 300. Anything past and those two big thick lines make holding over a pain.

Trijicon TR24G German #4 Green
Didn't really like this one. The dot is tiny for my intended purposes. Interesting thing about both TR24's. During a night match I noticed a fellow shooter had something green glowing on his rifle. Turns out tritium was illuminating the fiberoptic. You can turn the sun shield on it to cover most of it up but the funny thing is the sunshield does not cover all of the fiber. There's always a 1/4" of it showing no matter how you move the sunshade. More of a pet peeve than anything.

Vortex Viper PST 1-4 in both mrad and moa
mrad stadia lines were thinner than the moa stadia lines and those aren't that thick to begin with. Gotta concentrate to count out hash marks. They coulda made them much thicker. Nice quick short throw with a cattail. Despite the thin stadia lines this could be the best one for the buck.

Leupold MR/T 1.5-5
Not really fond of the recticle or 1.5x but my buddy Matt loves his. I'll pass.

Thats it so far. Will post some more thoughts after lunch.

Gutshot John
02-14-11, 12:54
Just to clarify as I'm interested in the Vortex Viper 1-4.

When you say it was hard to see the MRAD stadia lines, were you looking at them under 4x or 1x?

FishingFool
02-14-11, 13:06
Both. The recticle size doesn't change on either 1 or 4 since its on the second focal plane. Also since the stadia tree isn't illuminated my biggest worry is when steel flash targets or gongs are obscured by shadows the stadia lines may be too fine to pick out quickly if at all. Still if I had to choose a midprice 1-4 for 3 gun I'd probably go with the viper because you get a lot for the money.

I think someone might bring a Burris Tac30 to the next local 3 gun match this weekend and on paper it looks promising for an entry level but I haven't held it in my hands yet.

shootist~
02-14-11, 17:44
My PST 1-4 is MOA, and I agree the 2 MOA stadia lines are on the thin side. Much thicker and the reticle would start to get cluttered on the PST, however.

Somehow there is more separation between the lines (also @ 2 MOA) on my Nightforce 2.5-10x32 with NP-R2 reticle. This allows them to be (or appear to be) thicker on the NF without running together or obstructing the view. I'm not sure how this is possible, but that's what my eyes tell me.

After using mine for awhile including a couple of 3Gun matches (one close range and one to 330 Yds), I agree it's a lot of scope for the money. BTW, with the turret set for 200 it's faster to just use the center dot for 0 to 330 or so. Holding at the neck at 330 on a reduced size IPSC steel worked perfect. Same holds true with the NF.

Lowlight (Snipers Hide guru) has a You tube review on the 1-4 here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/SHLowlight

PrarieDog
02-15-11, 00:11
Your comments about the Trijicon 24g are right on. I love mine and am very happy with it. The tip of the triangle is spot on for 200. The triangle is very bright and is great to use on 1x, very fast.

PrarieDog
02-15-11, 00:12
Your comments about the Trijicon 24g are right on. I love mine and am very happy with it. The tip of the triangle is spot on for 200. The triangle is very bright and is great to use on 1x, very fast.