PDA

View Full Version : Colt bolt problem?

texasyid
02-15-11, 19:29
I have a new Colt in the 84,000 range. I removed the carrier and took the bolt out. The bolt is marked MPC. I noticed there is a small dot on the bolt pretty near the bolt lugs about 4MM in diameter. It is grey in color and at first I thought it was some kind of mark. After looking at it closer it is where some of the parkerizing came off. Anybody ever experience this? In all the years of owning AR's I have never seen this.
Is it something I should worry about?

beavo451
02-15-11, 20:43
Are you positive? Post a picture. Colts come with a gray/white paint marking on the bolt.

Robb Jensen
02-15-11, 20:56
It's very likely just paint. On Colt ARs you'll see this there, on the barrel near the barrel extension. I believe it's some sort of inspectors mark to indicate that somethings been done or inspected, testing during manufacturing. It's nothing to worry about your Colt will serve you well.

texasyid
02-15-11, 20:59
Yes I am positive. Looking at it under a magnifying glass you can clearly see a ragged edge. It is definitely where some of the parkerizing has chipped off. Don't have an imageshack account so can't post pic. I could email it to a mod and they could post it if they want to.

texasyid
02-15-11, 21:09
It's very likely just paint. On Colt ARs you'll see this there, on the barrel near the barrel extension. I believe it's some sort of inspectors mark to shot somethings been done or inspected during manufacturing. It's nothing to worry about your Colt will serve you well. You are probably right but I have never seen this before. I dont know how they MP test a bolt but I thought they might have hit it with a punch and chipped some of the coating off.

87GN
02-15-11, 21:17
You are probably right but I have never seen this before. I dont know how they MP test a bolt but I thought they might have hit it with a punch and chipped some of the coating off.

No...

Eric D.
02-15-11, 21:23
I don't have an account and imageshack is what I use to post pics. Go here: http://imageshack.us/ upload your pics, then copy the BB code into your post.

Don't have an imageshack account so can't post pic.

Robb Jensen
02-15-11, 21:30
Yes I am positive. Looking at it under a magnifying glass you can clearly see a ragged edge. It is definitely where some of the parkerizing has chipped off. Don't have an imageshack account so can't post pic. I could email it to a mod and they could post it if they want to.

If you think it's raw steel have you tried some cold blue on it? If it's parkerized cold blue shouldn't change it's color if it's raw steel it surely will.

texasyid
02-15-11, 21:50
http://img580.imageshack.us/i/007po.jpg/ It is definately raw steel.

Robb Jensen
02-15-11, 21:55
http://img580.imageshack.us/i/007po.jpg/ It is definately raw steel.

Can't tell by a picture. Like I said try some cold blue on it and see what happens. If it darkens a lot with cold blue then you are right. If it does contact Colt as M4Carbine.net rule number 4 says you should.