PDA

View Full Version : Ken Hackathorn & Larry Vickers Special 1911 Centennial Celebration Class

VA_Dinger
02-16-11, 06:19
***This is a once in a life time opportunity to spend three days celebrating the 100th anniversary of the 1911 handgun with some of the foremost 1911 experts in the world.***

Ken Hackathorn & Larry Vickers Special 1911 Centennial Celebration Class - Aug 6-8, 2011 - Marietta, Ohio

***Sponsored by Wilson Combat***

http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/ab25/greygroupcommunity/kenhack.jpg

Ken Hackathorn has served as a US Army Special Forces Small Arms Instructor, Gunsite Instructor, and NRA Police Firearms Instructor. He is currently an FBI Certified Firearms Instructor, Certified Deputy Sheriff with Washington County SO, Ohio, and a SRT member and Special Response Team trainer. Ken has trained US Military Special Operations forces, Marine FAST and SOTG units and is a contract small arms trainer to FBI SWAT and HRT.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/va_dinger/lav-1911.jpg

Larry Vickers is a decorated US Army Special Forces veteran and national pistol champion. Mr. Vickers has nearly two decades of special operations experience with over fifteen spent in 1 SFOD-Delta, with a significant portion as it's primary firearms instructor. In addition to his special operations accomplishments, his competitive shooting has yielded a 10th and 9th place finish in the 1993 and 1994 USPSA Limited Nationals as well as a 1st place finish in CDP class at the 2001 IDPA Mid-Winter Nationals at Smith & Wesson. Mr. Vickers is a founding member of IDPA. In addition to being a highly experienced operator and national pistol champion, Mr. Vickers is also one of the premier 1911 pistolsmiths in the country and his work has been featured in several firearms publications and on the cover of American Handgunner. In addition to all this, Mr. Vickers has served as a consultant and technical expert to the firearms industry. Mr. Vickers is featured on two new firearms, tactics, and accessories focused T.V. shows called Tactical Impact and Tactical Arms.

Guest Speakers:

John Miller: former US Army Marksmanship unit armorer famous for M14 and 1911 work.

Wayne Novak: Owner of Novak Designs Inc, world famous for his custom gunsmith work and as the designer of the world renowed Noval low-mount rear sight.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/va_dinger/logo.jpg

Grey Group Training:
www.greygrouptraining.com

Ken Hackathorn & Larry Vickers Special 1911 Centennial Celebration Class - Aug 6-8, 2011 - Marietta, Ohio

Day One:
The 1st day of the class will be spent entirely on the range shooting 1911 specific range drills that highlight the differences of shooting a 1911 vs other handguns and other various handgun drills. Larry and Ken will be alternating the primary instructor position between strings.

Day Two:
The 2nd day of the class will be split between the flat range and the Fort Harmar shoot house. Ken will be handling the shoot house portion working single man movement & approaches, hallways and T intersections, room entry, target discrimination, low light encounters, surgical shooting exercises, etc. Larry will be working the other half of the class on a flat range. At the mid point of the day lunch break the class will swap instructors.

After a full day on the range the class will travel to the Holiday Inn Conference Center for a catered dinner and 1911 seminar.
Ken, Larry, and guest speakers John Miller (U.S. Army Marksmanhip Unit) and Wayne Novak of (Novak's Inc.) will be hand to discuss the history of the 1911, modern 1911, suggested modifications, upgrades, accessories, etc.

***There will also be many extremely rare & interesting 1911's on display from personal collections.***

Day Three:
The third day of the class will be spent in the classroom. In this section Ken/Larry will teach detailed disassembly, troubleshooting, recommended and not recommended modifications, and a detailed inspection of each students 1911. If a problem is detected it will be fixed on the spot (if possible). This will give students the knowledge and skills needed to identify and diagnose problems.

Instructors: Ken Hackathorn & Larry Vickers

Guest Speakers: John Miller & Wayne Novak

Class dates: Aug 6-8, 2011

Cost: $850

Range facilities:
Fort Harmar Rifle Club
P.O. Box 475
Marietta Ohio, 45750

Range website:
www.fortharmar.com

Weapon & Gear Class Requirements:
- Serviceable 1911 handgun of at least 9mm Para caliber
- Serviceable holster
- Minimum 1 double magazine pouch (Ability to carry two spare mags - at a minimum) on body.
- Minimum of 3 serviceable magazines (5-8 is better)
- 800 rounds of ammo
- Weapon cleaning & lubrication supplies
- Electronic hearing protection
- Eye Protection
- Suitable range wear depending on the season
- Weapon cleaning & lubrication supplies
- Good attitude

http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/ab25/greygroupcommunity/wilsoncombat2.jpg

*** Wilson Combat will be supplying products and prizes for the class. ***

Wilson Combat
www.wilsoncombat.com

If you are interested in attending this class please use this link to the Grey Group Training sign-up page:
http://stores.greygrouptraining.com/-strse-3689/KH-and-LAV-1911/Detail.bok

If you have any additional questions please feel free to contact me;

turdbocharged
02-18-11, 05:34
Damn.. its full... im an ohio native is there any way to get in on this?

duece71
02-20-11, 09:33
I want to go as well, its not far from C-bus. Iam going to contact them and see whats up. May have to wait for cancellations.

R3V3LATIONS
02-20-11, 12:07
yeah it is funny. Since the class is full :suicide:, would it be okay to just show up and listen to the guest speakers? I would really like to hear Mr. Miller and novak...shooting/class would just have been an added bonus

Larry Vickers
02-21-11, 18:00
Just a heads up Ken and I both are stunned on how quick this class filled up - we are now planning another one in Ohio in October and a west coast class in the LA area right before SHOT 2012

The people on the wait list will be contacted first for the October Marietta Ohio class and then any extra slots will go to new sign ups- if you want in either class I would contact Grey Group immediately

Be safe

LAV

C4IGrant
02-23-11, 15:55
Looking forward to this class!

C4

bprice01
02-23-11, 20:54
See you there. I don't even own a 1911 yet.

dhrith
02-23-11, 21:25
Cool beans on the class additions. I usually don't keep 800 laying around for a sub 7 hour sign up. ;p
Thanks for the additional work/effort/offer.

C4IGrant
02-24-11, 08:50
See you there. I don't even own a 1911 yet.

How can this be? All TRUE American Patriots own a 1911. ;)

C4

bigrobbierob
02-24-11, 09:40
Thats great to hear about the class possibly coming to the LA area. Thats alittle closer to home. Already contacted Paul to get the ball rolling.

bprice01
02-24-11, 21:21

C4

Clearly an oversight on my part! My new Springfield Armory Mil-Spec ships Saturday; my first 1000 rds of ammo arrived yesterday.

WillBrink
02-27-11, 15:16
Just a heads up Ken and I both are stunned on how quick this class filled up - we are now planning another one in Ohio in October and a west coast class in the LA area right before SHOT 2012

The people on the wait list will be contacted first for the October Marietta Ohio class and then any extra slots will go to new sign ups- if you want in either class I would contact Grey Group immediately

Be safe

LAV

What about us poor slobs in the North East Larry?! :D

I'd assist anyway I can sir.

AEROX711
03-05-11, 07:38
....north east... south east... just something EAST!!! There's a lot of your North Carolina brethren that would love to attend Larry!

TXBob
03-06-11, 00:30
Anytime you fellas feel like stopping by Texas for an additional class, we'd appreciate it (we are not above bribes with beer and BBQ). Waitlisted for College Station, TX with fingers crossed!

BiggLee71
04-15-11, 09:39

C4

Very true!!!

VA_Dinger
08-01-11, 09:24
FYI: We have a couple of open seats for this class that just become available. If you missed your opportunity to sign-up before this is your chance.

To sign-up please feel free to contact Sarah at help@greygrouptraining.com or hit me up with an email.

Paul

VA_Dinger
08-05-11, 20:43
FYI: This class kicks off tomorrow at 08:00 in the Marietta Holiday Inn parking lot.

Ken & Larry will then lead everyone out to the range.

Have agreat class.

Thanks,

Paul

C4IGrant
08-09-11, 16:32
AAR is here: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=1070997&posted=1#post1070997

C4