PDA

View Full Version : jp-vtac or vtac trx extreme

sac
02-16-11, 14:15
Looking for advise on one of those hand guards for my precision AR.

It will be going on a bcm SS 18 inch barrel .

The only thing that will be mounted on it will be a bipod.

Thanks Scott

Whootsinator
02-16-11, 14:29
Might want to throw a front BUIS on there too.

outrider627
02-16-11, 14:35
Are you gonna use a FSB or low pro gas block?

I say go for Troy's new 15in TRX Extreme if you're using a low pro gas block so it's completely covered.

sac
02-16-11, 14:45
I'm going with a low pro gas block.

ssracer
02-16-11, 15:38
The TRX is light and sturdy.

Pax
02-16-11, 20:43
Accordingto Robb Jensen, the mounting screws on the JPs can shear off if put under stresses regurlarly experienced by "fighting" rifles. That is, weapons with various accessories on their FF tubes. While I doubt that this weapon is going to be torture tested extensively, I see no reason to not buy the apparently more robust Troy product. Just my two cents.

MarkG
02-16-11, 21:31
Accordingto Robb Jensen, the mounting screws on the JPs can shear off if put under stresses regurlarly experienced by "fighting" rifles. That is, weapons with various accessories on their FF tubes. While I doubt that this weapon is going to be torture tested extensively, I see no reason to not buy the apparently more robust Troy product. Just my two cents.

Can is a crapastic modal verb. Can means he has never seen it happen. I have two JP CTR-02 rifles with the JP/VTAC hand guards that have been through more multi-gun matches than I can remember. They have both been re-barreled two times and I have never had a single problem with the hand guards. There are seven Grade 8 flat socket head caps screws that mount the tube to the barrel nut. Properly installed, you couldn't shear off one of them on a bet. Apparently will also bite you in the ass if your not careful.

Robb Jensen
02-16-11, 21:49
I don't ever recall saying the JP screws can/would shear off. But then again I have a friend that's broken an HK91 bolt carrier so nothing is impossible.

When using JP tubes for about 4 years I did have them loosen on me 4 times even when using blue and red Loc-Tite. I shoot a lot and have shot out 4 barrels in the last 5yrs. That last one I used Rocksett on the screws and that one never came lose. Loosen your 7 screws about 2 turns each I guarantee I can sheer that tube off of those screws and the upper, the threads on those screws are a bit too coarse in my opinion which is probably why I experienced then loosening.

That said I do prefer the Troy and Troy made VTAC TRX rails and that is what I'm currently using. I have yet to have one of these Troy or Troy/VTAC tubes come lose. YMMV.

Mk18 it's more effective to quote me vs. somebody quoting what they think I said. 1st hand is always better than 2nd hand. 2nd hand quotes just makes you look like an ass.....

BTW Mk18 here on M4C we pride ourselves on first hand knowledge/experience have you ever actually installed a JP/VTAC tube? Or have you just owned JP built uppers/rifles? There's quite a bit of difference here. For instance: I've driven a 'hardened' car over 70mph in a Gov't motorcade in D.C. but this doesn't mean I know how to assemble the engine on one.

ZX672
02-16-11, 21:56
Can is a crapastic modal verb. Can means he has never seen it happen. I have two JP CTR-02 rifles with the JP/VTAC hand guards that have been through more multi-gun matches than I can remember. They have both been re-barreled two times and I have never had a single problem with the hand guards. There are seven Grade 8 flat socket head caps screws that mount the tube to the barrel nut. Properly installed, you couldn't shear off one of them on a bet. Apparently will also bite you in the ass if your not careful.

I totally agree...

I ran into some rough financial times and had to sell one of my ARs with the JP/VTAC handguard and it was SOLID.

Aces in my opinion. I think you can't go wrong with either. Buy the cheaper of the two and go shoot......

Robb Jensen
02-16-11, 22:11
I totally agree...

I ran into some rough financial times and had to sell one of my ARs with the JP/VTAC handguard and it was SOLID.

Aces in my opinion. I think you can't go wrong with either. Buy the cheaper of the two and go shoot......

I'm glad your statistical study group of one worked well for you! :D Some dirt shooters think their Oly Arms PCR rifles are the best!

Pax
02-16-11, 23:19
My bad guys. Robb, I misread an old thread on the JP/VTAC handguard from 2008 in which an M4C member "Johnson" made the claim that the screws could shear off directly under a post by you. Sorry again, just a stupid mistake.

shootist~
02-16-11, 23:49
How do you plan to attach the bi-pod? If using a sling swivel stud the VTAC Extreme or JP-VTAC will work with a stud. IIRC, the stud just screws into the JP-VTAC and a stud mount is available for the VTAC. I think you are limited to the accessory rail on the Troy, but Harris bi-pods can be converted to rail attachment.

Some of the local 3 Gunners use the JP version and have had no problems on ARs, but they don't get used really hard. Another guy uses the JP on a .308 and has broken a couple of screws over several years. He replaced the screws and still runs the JP.

This is my 13" VTAC on a 18" Noveske SPR barrel. I use an Atlas Bi-Pod which attaches to the rail (and really like it). The continuous top rail is handy if you want to mount BUIS.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y141/shootist87122/AR15/SPR-PSTb1x4010610.jpg

sac
02-17-11, 20:22
thanks for the input , I think I will use the TRX.

Shootist nice looking rifle.

Thanks again Scott

TehLlama
02-18-11, 16:04
TROY-VTAC is my rail of choice as well. Can't wait for the 15" one of those to roll out.

Boss Hogg
02-19-11, 11:47
I like the JP VTACs but I don't like the myriad of small screws they use and the requirement to use Red (essentially permanent) Loctite.

I own and like the TRX Extreme also but I'm concerned about how robust they are, particularly the barrel nut. My understanding is that this has been improved.

I'm now very fond of the APEX handguard system. It attaches with a total of 8 screws. It is VERY robust, has a great diameter with textured grip, and 4 holes for sling swivels. This company is going to go places and I'd recommend having a look.

http://www.apexcncmachine.com/store.php?seller=ApexMachiningCompany&navt1=19974&navt2=20383&pd=112348