PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide: A1 vs. Flat top + DD A1.5

Jimbo45
02-16-11, 17:54
I just picked up a BCM 14.5" LW carbine flat top upper with permed A2X. I kinda had plans to make an ultra simple, light little carbine out of this, and maybe even a 653 clone type gun. As such, I have an A1 upper receiver on the way, to swap with the flat top. I wanted to go with the A1 receiver for weight reasons, and the general sight durability they offer. Plus, maybe a small part of me wants a retro-ish carbine. I have multiple other AR's with flat tops, BUIS's and optics, a 20" A2, and an M4 clone, so a 653 type carbine seems fitting in my array of AR's.

Here is the problem; while waiting for the A1 receiver to arrive, I put a DD A1.5 rear sight on it, that I had in the parts bin. Now, I am having second thoughts about using an A1 receiver. Going with the A1, I would lose the flexibility of throwing on a optic someday (although this upper will probably NEVER wear an optic), I would have to run a non M4 feedramped receiver on an M4 barrel extension, which I don't really want to do, and I would have to buy a few more retro CAR parts to go that route (flat slip ring, grip, and stock which I don't particularly care for, function wise).

The flat top / DD A1.5 would somewhat dilute my ultra rugged, simple carbine idea. I love the DD A1.5's and have several, but I do wonder how they would fair after a significant impact from a big drop or similar event.

Does anyone know how the weights compare between an A1 receiver, and a flat top upper + a DD A1.5 BUIS?

Sorry for the long post, just looking for you guys to talk me into, or out of, a decision. What would you do, considering the above?

Here is a pic of what I threw togother today, with parts I had on hand, and I am kind of liking it:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v163/jimbo45/100_2988.jpg

armakraut
02-16-11, 21:43
Looks pretty good as-is.

BTW, did you get that 14.5 upper from BCM? Are they back in stock?

An Undocumented Worker
02-16-11, 21:50
I was planning on doing the same thing you did, but could not find a 20" lightweight/A1 profile barrel that was chrome lined and in a twist rate I wanted.

So I ordered an 18" upper from DD with an A1.5 sight. They're backlogged so I'm still waiting on it.

13MPG
02-16-11, 22:42
This might not be the best bet for weight savings but have you thought about buying a A1 removable carry handle? It might be a good compromise. You get the simplicity of the A1 sight, the retro look, and if you do every want to put an optic on the rifle you can.

Jimbo45
02-17-11, 03:07
Looks pretty good as-is.

BTW, did you get that 14.5 upper from BCM? Are they back in stock?
Yeah, it is a very handy little setup. I was able to find the upper second hand. Yes, they have been out of stock at BCM, for a while, and last rumor I heard, was possibly spring time, for more to return.

I was planning on doing the same thing you did, but could not find a 20" lightweight/A1 profile barrel that was chrome lined and in a twist rate I wanted.

So I ordered an 18" upper from DD with an A1.5 sight. They're backlogged so I'm still waiting on it.
I have never seen a 20" A1 profile barrel with a 1/9 or 1/7 twist, offered either. Probably not a huge demand for them.

This might not be the best bet for weight savings but have you thought about buying a A1 removable carry handle? It might be a good compromise. You get the simplicity of the A1 sight, the retro look, and if you do every want to put an optic on the rifle you can.
Yeah, I considered that, but don't want to, for the reason you stated. It would be pretty heavy, and doesn't fit into the 'simple' role I had originally planned.

I still am not sure what I will do. I want to leave it as is, but once the A1 upper arrives, I may not be able to resist putting it on there. Now, if the A1 upper had M4 feedramps, I probably would swap it on there in a heart beat. I just don't like the idea of mounting non ramped, standard receiver, to a barrel that has M4 feedramps.

Thanks for the thoughts, guys. :cool:

RyanB
02-17-11, 04:35
My go to gun in college was a Colt with a ramped barrel and standard slickside upper. Always worked. Would do again.

ASH556
02-17-11, 14:22
If the carbine is purely for retro-nastalgic enjoyment, then put the A1 upper on it.
If, however, you want it to be useful, leave it as-is. I am just finishing (only waiting for the little Brown truck now) swapping out of what I considered to be the ultimate KISS carbine, and updating it. Let's face it: flexibility rules! I will never pigeon hole myself into a non-flattop upper again. Yes, it's easy enough to swap out the upper when you have time and tools. But why put yourself through that when you have the exact same functionality in a more versatile pkg already. I don't think the DD sight is by any means weak.

JMHO

Jimbo45
02-17-11, 19:45
If the carbine is purely for retro-nastalgic enjoyment, then put the A1 upper on it.
If, however, you want it to be useful, leave it as-is. I am just finishing (only waiting for the little Brown truck now) swapping out of what I considered to be the ultimate KISS carbine, and updating it. Let's face it: flexibility rules! I will never pigeon hole myself into a non-flattop upper again. Yes, it's easy enough to swap out the upper when you have time and tools. But why put yourself through that when you have the exact same functionality in a more versatile pkg already. I don't think the DD sight is by any means weak.

JMHO

Yes, I am leaning toward leaving it. I went to the range today, and put some rounds through it. It was a snap to zero, only requiring a couple clicks of windage, and I don't think I even had to touch the front sight! Shooting it at 50 yards, it really didn't give up much, accuracy wise, to the two midlengths I brought along. A little more recoil, but not much, with the H buffer in there. Its really growing on me. I'm going to put a sling on it tonight, and since the A1 receiver didn't arrive today, it is safe, as is, for a while longer for sure.