PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Membership Experience Base

Oscar 319
02-17-11, 00:57
The recent thread about the sites conversion to a 24 hour clock (“Military Time”) got me thinking. I would have assumed that the bulk of the membership here would be familiar with this format. I know, stupid assumption.

With the recent spike in new members we have also seen a spike in the sites “signal to noise ratio”. I’m saying that as nicely as possible. I do find it irritating that the new guy who joins the forum and asks what his first “SHTF/zombie slayer” should be, and then 2 months later that same member is spouting off opinions and advice to others seeking the same. This leads me to ask about the demographics of M4C’s membership and experience base.

Working at a gun store does not make you a gun expert. Not all members of the military have experienced combat. Not all people who have experienced combat are weapons experts. Police Officers carry firearms for a living, yet most are not gun enthusiasts. You see where I am going with this.

That said, the guy who has seen combat will have experience to impress upon the competition shooter. Lessons learned by the competition shooter can be given to those going into harm’s way regarding equipment and shooting techniques. Those in the shooting industry can introduce the LEO to the latest and greatest in tools that could save his/her life. Experienced LEO’s have real world experience that can be taught to those serious about self defense.

Most of us fall into multiple categories, some all. We are all enthusiasts; otherwise we would not be here. It is also a safe assumption that we are all into self/home defense, therefore that was not listed.

So, my question is; if you were to place yourself into a category, based on the bulk of your experience, what is it? This is not for chest pounding or to belittle anyone. It is just to get an idea of the experience breakdown here. The poll is anonymous.

Iraqgunz
02-17-11, 01:27
Since my time was evenly split between military and air soft/ Call of Duty I had to pick military.

variablebinary
02-17-11, 01:36
The chance to be LEO and Military happened at the same time.

I chose military.

DaBears_85
02-17-11, 01:46
Interesting idea for a thread, I've been pondering this myself since reading the 'Military Time' thread. I draw the bulk of my experience from being in the military, though I've been shooting for the better part of my life. I don't consider myself to be an expert in any way, shape or form though. However, I am proud to admit that I've learned more about weapons, tactics and training in the little over a year that I've been here than all my military and serious civilian shooting career (for lack of a better term) combined, which is a little over 10 years.

J

jaxman7
02-17-11, 04:09
Kinda hard to answer that one. I checked off the military box because of my time as an 11B but I've got to admit I've vastly improved my skills across the board through a few classes, 3 gun and pistol competitions, reading up on here, and through alot more practicing.

-Jax

500grains
02-17-11, 05:45
The recent thread about the sites conversion to a 24 hour clock (“Military Time”) got me thinking. I would have assumed that the bulk of the membership here would be familiar with this format. I know, stupid assumption.

No, not at all. As a 24 hour clock is easier to understand than Roman numerals, and since it is on every digital watch, I would expect anyone who finished 6th grade to understand it. That is not meant as an insult, just an expectation.

With the recent spike in new members we have also seen a spike in the sites “signal to noise ratio”. I’m saying that as nicely as possible. .

Actually I think you mean a drop in the signal to noise ratio. Or a spike in the amount of noise. If there were a spike in the signal to noise ratio, there would be a strong signal with little noise.

02-17-11, 09:00
We have some members here that really don't fall into any of these categories. This would be an individual that routinely trains/has a training budget, as well as hits the range on their own regularly.

HES
02-17-11, 10:25
For me my knowledge base is 9 years of peace time military service. I will say that I have learned more in the past 4 or so years on this board and in training than I did during those 9 years.

Alex F
02-17-11, 10:43
I voted military.

I'm looking at taking some pistol and carbine courses over the next couple of years, though.

Oscar 319
02-17-11, 10:52
We have some members here that really don't fall into any of these categories. This would be an individual that routinely trains/has a training budget, as well as hits the range on their own regularly.

You are right. What would you call it? "Training Junky"? "Professionally Trained"?

rob_s comes to mind. He is a competetive shooter that has attended many classes. He is not military or LEO. He wears a yellow visor.

Rob is also "The Chart". He is a wealth of information and questions everything. If he does not know, he figures it out and shares it with others. His info is credible and thorough.

There are many others here that fit that mold. Help me out. What would you catagorize it as, and what would be the criteria for being there? I will add it to the poll (if it can be edited?).

CoryCop25
02-17-11, 11:06
VERY GOOD POST! I had to pick Law Enforcement because all of the formal training that I have had has been from Law Enforcement related schools. HOWEVER.... the saying that most cops are not gun guys is and understatement. I am the gun guy in my department. I control anything that has to do with things going bang. I have to admit that I am the minority. It's like pulling teeth to get my guys to train. Hell, I even offer free practice ammo and NO ONE TAKES IT! I also work in a gun shop. It is also true that a lot of gun shop workeers and owners are not well versed in the true quality of firearms and accessories. THere are many reasons for this and theat is a whole other thread. Military is a whole other arguement. I have spoke to and read posts from some VERY knowledgeable trigger pullers on M4C but my personal experience with military personnel are little to be desired. Most of the guys from my HS that went on to military were morons who had no choice but to enlist because they couldn't make it on thier own due to an extreem lack of dicipline. These types could care less about weapons and tactics. The guys that have a true love and willingness to learn about what real quality firearms are are a rare breed. I am glad I found this forum and love to suck in as much quality information as I can from it. I always say that a good cop realizes that he doesnt know everyting about his job and when he/she thinks they do, it's time to find another job. This can also be said about the firearms community because of the ever evolving technology and ideas with products and training. Oh yeah, I also play a s^*t load of Call of Duty! :neo:

rob_s
02-17-11, 11:54
Should have included the option to pick multiple categories.

Anyone that spends more that a couple of days around a volume of shooters will quickly discover that there is NO background that automatically bestows any kind of competency on the person claiming same.

People survive gunfights, and combat, every day in spite of, not because of, their level of ability. This is also true of the commute to work, a walk in the woods, etc.

SWATcop556
02-17-11, 11:56
I fall into the LEO catagory. Many years on patrol, gang unit investigations, a stint in narcotics, and a member of our tactical unit.

Most LEOs are not gun guys and the military needs cooks and clerks too. I take anyone's advice with a grain of salt unless I know for certain their background.

Irish
02-17-11, 12:10
Hell, I even offer free practice ammo and NO ONE TAKES IT!

I'll PM you my address. ;)

A little bit of military and a lot of hobby/sport shooting and training classes for me. I'm definitely stepping up my training regimen this year and I think another good option for the poll would be for guys who attend a lot of training like mentioned earlier.

Oscar - My avatar's super excited to see your avatar! :D

Littlelebowski
02-17-11, 12:12
I've learned most about mindset from the military.

I've learned the most about shooting from civilian training and practicing with friends.

dookie1481
02-17-11, 12:31
I've learned most about mindset from the military.

I've learned the most about shooting from civilian training and practicing with friends.

What The Dude said. I learned a lot about small-unit tactics, weapons employment, and mindset from the military. However, my emphasis is on pistol shooting, for which I received very little training from Uncle Sam's Misguided Children.

So it's split.

Oscar 319
02-17-11, 14:04
I should have included the category “Professional Training”. I cannot modify the poll, and doing so may be too late.

Mods- could one of you drop that into the poll?

Rob- I considered the multiple categories, but I felt it pulled away from simplicity of the info I was seeking. This was partially motivated by your “Did Someone…” thread.

I also fit into several categories; however, I base most of my opinions/advice from 15 years of LEO experience. I have definitely learned more technical details from outside of Law Enforcement. It just seemed easier to quantify if you were limited to only one choice. Would you be willing to make a new poll, and we’ll consider this a rough draft? You are the guru at this stuff.

I am open to adding/refining/removing categories. As it stands right now, 35% military, 27% hobby/sport and 20% LEO. If we could refine this, I think the results would be interesting.

Irish- Bring ammo. I need to blow off some steam. I will hit you on our other top secret encrypted communication channels. :D

rob_s
02-17-11, 14:21
Rob- I considered the multiple categories, but I felt it pulled away from simplicity of the info I was seeking. This was partially motivated by your “Did Someone…” thread.

I also fit into several categories; however, I base most of my opinions/advice from 15 years of LEO experience. I have definitely learned more technical details from outside of Law Enforcement. It just seemed easier to quantify if you were limited to only one choice. Would you be willing to make a new poll, and we’ll consider this a rough draft? You are the guru at this stuff.

I am open to adding/refining/removing categories. As it stands right now, 35% military, 27% hobby/sport and 20% LEO. If we could refine this, I think the results would be interesting.

I clicked "competition" because that's what Pat Rogers calls me. :p

The problem with that definition is that it's so open/confusing for many people. USPSA is not IDPA, 3-gun is not High Power, etc.

I think looking at people's backgrounds is useful for gauging their frame of reference, but we have ALL seen idiot threads here from people claiming pretty much every status or former life.

Oscar 319
02-17-11, 16:25
I clicked "competition" because that's what Pat Rogers calls me. :p

The problem with that definition is that it's so open/confusing for many people. USPSA is not IDPA, 3-gun is not High Power, etc.

The same could be said for LEO; Experience can range from Barney Fife to FBI HRT. People who work in the firearms industry could vary from working the gun counter at a sporting goods store, to producing some of the best custom weapons available. Sport shooters can go shooting and expend one magazine from each gun and call it good, while others may run through 1,000 rounds from the same weapon in one session.

I think looking at people's backgrounds is useful for gauging their frame of reference....

And that is the only place I was going with this.

jaxman7
02-17-11, 17:50
Who clicked on the airsoft/call of duty choice?! :bad:

-Jax

C-grunt
02-17-11, 18:48
I find my base of experience is from the Army. But through training and my new LEO career it's evolving.

TehLlama
02-18-11, 16:08
Since my time was evenly split between military and air soft/ Call of Duty I had to pick military.

Ditto.

RogerinTPA
02-18-11, 19:22
Since there wasn't a multiple choice, mine is heavily competition (match grade .22s, M-14 and M-16) for many years via the US Army & Reserves, followed by professional training, then what I consider "proficiency firearms training" (when I go to the range and practice the drills I've learned).

500grains
02-18-11, 20:21
The same could be said for LEO; Experience can range from Barney Fife to FBI HRT. People who work in the firearms industry could vary from working the gun counter at a sporting goods store, to producing some of the best custom weapons available. Sport shooters can go shooting and expend one magazine from each gun and call it good, while others may run through 1,000 rounds from the same weapon in one session.

The Army says 70% never shot a gun before arriving at basic training.

jaxman7
02-18-11, 20:34
And that is a good thing for the most part. I was second best shot in my company (C 1/19 ITB) during BRM qualification and I've been shooting my whole life basically. The top shot in the company was a guy from L.A. who had never even held a rifle before. No bad habits soaked up.

-Jax

The Army says 70% never shot a gun before arriving at basic training.

BAC
02-18-11, 21:30
Who clicked on the airsoft/call of duty choice?! :bad:

I would've if you could pick more than one. :eek:

-B

jaxman7
02-18-11, 22:31
Ha Ha Me too probably! I have become quite addicted to the zombie stage of C.O.D. Black Ops. :secret:

-Jax

I would've if you could pick more than one. :eek:

-B