PDA

View Full Version : Training Handgun

CoryCop25
02-17-11, 10:38
I am trying to decide which handgun I want to use for training. I have narrowed it down to two. I carry a Glock 22 on duty so my first choice is Glock. I am not very fond of the 40 cal because of recoil and lack of accuracy. I have a Golck 34 that I like very much and I also like my Golck 21. I have experienced a slight hesitation with the Glock 21 when transitioning from my primary to the Glock 21. I don't mind recoil at all but I can't figure out if it is the recoil of the 45 ACP or the size of the grip of the larger frame of the 21. I have since taken the Glock 21 out of the equation and decided on the M&P 45 MID. The reason for adding a platform other than Glock is the slimmer grip of the M&P. Ammunition and magazine capacity are not an issue. I have several 17, 17+2 and 33 round mags for the Golck 34 and 10 and 14 round mags for the M&P. Both handguns are equipped with TLR-1s and I am ordering Raven holsters.
Basically, what I am asking here are educated opinions on which of the two handguns, the Glock 34 or the M&P 45 MID. would be the better choice for training AND WHY. If there are betther suggestions than these two, tell me why.

Skyyr
02-17-11, 10:45
Is this for personal training, as in honing your skills as a shooter? Or as supplemental training to improve your on-duty abilities? If it's the latter (or both), then it absolutely doesn't make sense not to get another .40 Glock.

If it's for a personal weapon and you like the .45, I'd get an HK45c.

darr3239
02-17-11, 10:45
If you use a particular gun in your profession, always train with the same gun. It is what will save your life, or someone else's if you have to use it. Otherwise, you can shoot what ever other guns you have just for fun.

CoryCop25
02-17-11, 10:49
Is this for personal training, as in honing your skills as a shooter? Or as supplemental training to improve your on-duty abilities? If it's the latter (or both), then it absolutely doesn't make sense not to get another .40 Glock.

If it's for a personal weapon and you like the .45, I'd get an HK45c.

This is for personal training mainly to hone my rifle skills. The pistol as a secondary is what I am choosing the platform for. When I train for my PD I use my Glock 22, I have one of my own and the department issue. I own HKs and I can't shoot them as well as the Glock or M&P largely due to the triggers. I even had the LE trigger installed on the HK45c but just can't use it like I do the Glocks or M&Ps.

Watrdawg
02-17-11, 10:51
I would use and train with what I plan to carry. I'm shooting the M&P 45 Mid and like it very much. In a couple of weeks I'll be taking a Basic course and then beginning of April a Level 1 course. Of course I'll be shooting the M&P.

willowofwisp
02-17-11, 11:07
I would go with the 34, make the trigger and sights the same as your 22, that way at least its pretty close to what your currently carrying on duty.

RancidSumo
02-17-11, 11:08
Glock 22. It is what you carry on duty so it is most likely what you will use in the event of actually having to shoot someone.

Oscar 319
02-17-11, 11:25
Glock 22. It is what you carry on duty so it is most likely what you will use in the event of actually having to shoot someone.

This is the correct answer.

If ammo expense is an issue, get a G17.

crusader377
02-17-11, 11:30
Glock 22. Your training pistol should be the pistol that you are most likely to actually use in a defensive situation. Always train as you would fight.

gtmtnbiker98
02-17-11, 11:30
Any training to enhance your skill set should be done using the same equipment you would have at your disposal when the time comes to deploy the skills. It's really a no "brainer."

steve m
02-17-11, 12:27
I agree with the fact that you should practice with a weapon that is as identical as you can make it to your work weapon or the one you carry daily.

SWATcop556
02-17-11, 12:34
First off, who's providing the ammo for the training? My answer depends on this question.

operator81
02-17-11, 13:10
Seeings how the G22 is what you carry on duty, I would stick with that. If ammo cost is an issue then get a G17. The G34 is nice but with the longer slide you would lose commonality with your holsters.

Ideally you want to train as you will fight, so using your G22 for training is my recommendation.

CoryCop25
02-17-11, 15:03
First off, who's providing the ammo for the training? My answer depends on this question.

I provide all my ammo for training. I have vast quantities of 9mm and 45 ACP. I kind of made the transition away from 40S&W last year. Training for my own personal gain and enjoyment is different from training for work. I don't sign out a department rifle, I use my own. When I train for work I use my duty belt, duty sidearm and department rifle or shotgun.

Skyyr
02-17-11, 15:57
Are you limited to which handguns you can carry for duty? What about caliber?

TheSmiter1
02-17-11, 16:04
I provide all my ammo for training. I have vast quantities of 9mm and 45 ACP. I kind of made the transition away from 40S&W last year. Training for my own personal gain and enjoyment is different from training for work. I don't sign out a department rifle, I use my own. When I train for work I use my duty belt, duty sidearm and department rifle or shotgun.

Are you able to use department-issued ammo for training? Do they give you free ammo?

If you already have a bunch of 9mm, and pay for your ammo anyway, get a G17/34. If you want to reload, .45 might be a more viable option. Go with the most cost-effective. You can at least use this as a tax write-off, right?

theblackknight
02-17-11, 16:13

Since you on your dime, using 9mm and personal gear, id go with with the g34. Unless your gonna use your raven to carry , why not have more gun? More barrel,slide mass and sight radius is a good thing.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

theblackknight
02-17-11, 16:37

Since you on your dime, using 9mm and personal gear, id go with with the g34. Unless your gonna use your raven to carry , why not have more gun? More barrel,slide mass and sight radius is a good thing.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

blackboar
02-17-11, 19:19
I have and love my G34, but given your circumstances, why not go with the G17? Much closer to your 22; the accuracy and recoil difference between a 34 and 17 is neglible; still shoots 9mm. which is cheaper on your dime.

Just my thought.

VolGrad
02-17-11, 19:37
If you use a particular gun in your profession, always train with the same gun. It is what will save your life, or someone else's if you have to use it. Otherwise, you can shoot what ever other guns you have just for fun.

I can't add anything to this.

ijacek
02-17-11, 20:27
I carry G35 on duty, while I train and shoot IDPA with my G34. Same controls, same holsters, same everything... except the recoil, but that's for another discussion :D

RancidSumo
02-17-11, 20:32

I don't understand this. The training won't do you as much good when you really need it if you don't train with the guns you will most likely have with you. I'd train with a G22 and a rifle set up similar to your department rifle if I were you.

CoryCop25
02-17-11, 21:34
Are you able to use department-issued ammo for training? Do they give you free ammo?

If you already have a bunch of 9mm, and pay for your ammo anyway, get a G17/34. If you want to reload, .45 might be a more viable option. Go with the most cost-effective. You can at least use this as a tax write-off, right?

I can use department ammo but not close to the volume that I shoot monthly. I am allotted 50 rounds a month. I shoot about 1000 per month.
I just want to add that I already own these handguns so I am not looking to get advice on which one to buy. I am looking for which one to use. I do shoot my duty gun often and like I added before, this is for my rifle training and the handgun is solely secondary. I do shoot often with a shot timer so technique and speed in transitioning is the bulk of this type of training. This would also be my go to kit when I go to schools on my own dime.

CoryCop25
02-17-11, 21:40
Are you limited to which handguns you can carry for duty? What about caliber?

I am issued a Glock 22 and must carry it.

TheSmiter1
02-18-11, 00:40
I can use department ammo but not close to the volume that I shoot monthly. I am allotted 50 rounds a month. I shoot about 1000 per month.
I just want to add that I already own these handguns so I am not looking to get advice on which one to buy. I am looking for which one to use. I do shoot my duty gun often and like I added before, this is for my rifle training and the handgun is solely secondary. I do shoot often with a shot timer so technique and speed in transitioning is the bulk of this type of training. This would also be my go to kit when I go to schools on my own dime.

In that case I would just use the Glock. It's the most similar to your issued pistol. Though a G17 w/ hot ammo would probably be a bit more similar.

SWATcop556
02-18-11, 04:42
If limited to the G34 or the M&P I would use the Glock. As was stated before using the same equipment to train as you carry on duty is the way to go. There is not much difference in an M&P vs Glock but there is enough (trigger, ergo, etc) that I would use the G34. If able I would use a G17.

I was carrying the M&P line for work but some recent policy changes have me back to all Glock all 9mm. I just wish admin could make a decision and stick with it.