PDA

View Full Version : Modular Handgun System (MHS)

wobby
02-17-11, 16:19
The U.S. Army is currently adopting requirements for the Modular Handgun System (MHS) that will initiate a handgun competition to replace the M9 pistol. The Army requires the MHS to be more effective, accurate, and reliable than the M9 pistol.[1]

The MHS requirement calls for a non-caliber specific weapon with modular features to allow for the adaption of different fire control devices, pistol grips, and alternate magazine options. The weapon will fit various hand sizes and will mount targeting enablers using Picatinny rails. The new weapon will incorporate detection avoidance by having a non-reflective neutral color and will be operable with sound and flash suppressor kit in place.[1]

So who do guys think will be the big players in this? Right now all I can think of is the MODULAR Sig P250. :bad: ...and kinda unrelated but according to a Beretta rep via a nutnfancy youtube video from Shot Show 2011, the PX-4 .45 was the only pistol to pass all trials at JCP.

Things could get interesting...potentially.

kjdoski
02-17-11, 17:01
The initial JCP specs were pretty well tailor made for the HK45 and Hk45c - I would think that they and the P30 in 40 S&W would be strong contenders for this.

Regards,

Kevin

Skyyr
02-17-11, 17:10
The initial JCP specs were pretty well tailor made for the HK45 and Hk45c - I would think that they and the P30 in 40 S&W would be strong contenders for this.

Regards,

Kevin

You sort of have it backwards. The HK45 was made specifically for the JCP. That's why so many HK guns win contracts, because they build them specifically to compete in contracts.

jst0915
02-17-11, 17:46
You sort of have it backwards. The HK45 was made specifically for the JCP. That's why so many HK guns win contracts, because they build them specifically to compete in contracts.

According LAV, the HK45 predates the JCP by about a year.

DMR
02-17-11, 19:00
From recent discussions I think the CPD is complete down at benign and industry should see the Sources Sought this year. With the Tea Party pushing for more cuts it will be interesting to see if this requirement survives.

Skyyr
02-17-11, 20:04
According LAV, the HK45 predates the JCP by about a year.

The way I understand it, the concept and concept models of the HK45 might have started before the JCP, but the production pistol itself (which came a good bit later) was designed around the parameters of the JCP.

jst0915
02-17-11, 20:06
The way I understand it, the concept and concept models of the HK45 might have started before the JCP, but the production pistol itself (which came a good bit later) was designed around the parameters of the JCP.

Yeah that's pretty much what I meant to say, still trying to get used to the iPhone. I got the info from ToddG's interview with LAV and Ken Hackathorn.

MikeO
05-20-11, 23:40
Didn't we design and select the perfect offensive handgun back in 1994? Didn't HK win that contract too?

Now they want the perfect modular handgun... then it will be the perfect smart handgun...

Mr blasty
05-21-11, 00:38
Cant they just choose a ****ing glock and get it over with?

MikeO
05-22-11, 12:12
Yeah, the DOJ can have 20 Glock NDs a year. Imagine what DOD could do w 'em? :jester:

S&W and Ruger. Get what ya like, or flip a coin and like what ya get...

Nephrology
05-22-11, 13:35
As much as I like glocks, the M&P FS 9 w/ manual safety would be a good choice.

KhanRad
05-22-11, 13:59
Given the current problems with 9mm, .40, and .357 generation 4 Glocks, I think that jumping on the Glock bandwagon at this time would be foolish for the DOD. Right now, the only manufacturer that can handle extreme agency testing, has as wide an array of fire control options as DOD wants, and is a superior pistol in suppressed variant is H&K. Glocks are not nearly as reliable as H&Ks when it comes to suppression reliability. Probably the best option is to jump onto the CBP/BP contracts for .40S&W P2000s so that there is also a P2000SK model for compact use. The P30/P30L can be used as a full sized alternative too as it shares almost all the same features of the P2000 series.

Nytcrawler93
05-22-11, 20:45
I would laugh my ass off if they chose the XDM in 9mm.:jester:

F-Trooper05
05-22-11, 21:27
I would laugh my ass off if they chose the XDM in 9mm.:jester:

The Army would never do something that stupid...

http://i320.photobucket.com/albums/nn332/LittleTeapotZS/Miscellaneous-01/CamouflageCouch.jpg

13MPG
05-22-11, 22:15
LOL, great pic.

While I think it would be neat for the DOD to adopt a new handgun I think the money could be better utilized on other things.

Magic_Salad0892
05-23-11, 12:24
Right now, the only manufacturer that can handle extreme agency testing, has as wide an array of fire control options as DOD wants, and is a superior pistol in suppressed variant is H&K.

I have an extremely hard time believing that.

I'd pick a Glock 19, or the 5'' M&P Pro (FDE frame) as a standard issue weapon over anything HK makes, any day. When I have time, I'll explain why.

MikeO
05-26-11, 12:06
The Army is adopting the USAF's MHS program.

That was written w the HK45/HK45c in mind. Don't know how much of the specs will carry over, but by "modular" they then meant full size and compact, adjustable grips, and options for fire control systems, as in a DA/SA, DAO, and LEM w safety. From the original solicitation:

Safety Mechanisms: As a minimum, the handgun shall have internal safety mechanisms in place such that a loaded cartridge will not fire if the weapon is dropped from a height of 5 feet onto a concrete or other hard surface. The weapon shall also have an external, manually operated safety button/switch operable with one hand.

Magic_Salad0892
05-26-11, 13:24
The Army is adopting the USAF's MHS program.

That was written w the HK45/HK45c in mind. Don't know how much of the specs will carry over, but by "modular" they then meant full size and compact, adjustable grips, and options for fire control systems, as in a DA/SA, DAO, and LEM w safety. From the original solicitation:

Safety Mechanisms: As a minimum, the handgun shall have internal safety mechanisms in place such that a loaded cartridge will not fire if the weapon is dropped from a height of 5 feet onto a concrete or other hard surface. The weapon shall also have an external, manually operated safety button/switch operable with one hand.

If manual safety wasn't a concern, then I'd say Glock needs to jump on this, but then again, they're not asking for a AK like pistol, they're looking for an M4 in pistol form.

IMO, if the Army adopted the HK P30 over the Beretta M9, we'd probably have the best side arm we've ever had.

C4IGrant
05-26-11, 13:53
Cant they just choose a ****ing glock and get it over with?

They can't as it doesn't meet the reqs.

C4

C4IGrant
05-26-11, 13:55
As much as I like glocks, the M&P FS 9 w/ manual safety would be a good choice.

Agree. A TS is a VERY good idea for a troop that receives very little pistol training.

C4

CAVDOC
05-26-11, 15:47
considering that the .gov just placed a contract in the last year or so for up to 450,000 berettas, I don't see this going any further than the joint pistol program proposed by the air force about 3 years ago that landed dead in the water.
From a standpoint of a gun not designed to be concealed there is nothing wrong with the beretta as long as quality mags are used which you can say about any autoloading firearm.
I carried one in both Iraq and Afghanistan and have no problem with them.

Timbonez
05-26-11, 18:14
If manual safety wasn't a concern, then I'd say Glock needs to jump on this, but then again, they're not asking for a AK like pistol, they're looking for an M4 in pistol form.

IMO, if the Army adopted the HK P30 over the Beretta M9, we'd probably have the best side arm we've ever had.

The weapon shall also have an external, manually operated safety button/switch operable with one hand.

Not calling you out or anything Magic Salad, but that word means it is a requirement, so unfortunately no Glock. Like you said, the P30 would be a good choice, but there are several good choices. Logistically speaking it's "nice" that the military is, yet again, spending money to replace the Beretta as the service sidearm. With so many cutbacks I don't see this going anywhere. It's a secondary small arm, meaning there are more important things the military can spend their money on. The Beretta adequately fills the needs of the military at this time. It's a good, if somewhat dated, design and it's reliable when cared for and maintained properly (something the military should focus on).

msigette
05-26-11, 19:29
Im just going to hope in here for a minute. Being in the military myself dont we tend to stick with NATO rounds aka 9mm and 5.56. So with that wouldnt that cancel out the .45 cal, or is that a NATO round too. Also as I have never shot one why has no one mentioned a Sig? I know HK is a good handgun and the Germans already have it as their issue weapon I was just wondering the reason why no one mentioned the Sig. And as previously mentioned even if the Glocks were allowed with all their issues with the fourth gens with the PD's I dont think it would be a smart idea to adopt that. Unless we could get the 3rd gens. :)

steve126a
05-27-11, 12:50
I have an extremely hard time believing that.

I'd pick a Glock 19, or the 5'' M&P Pro (FDE frame) as a standard issue weapon over anything HK makes, any day. When I have time, I'll explain why.

As someone who owns many H&K pistols, I'd care to hear that explanation...

Nephrology
05-27-11, 14:40
As someone who owns many H&K pistols, I'd care to hear that explanation...

For one, it does have to be the LOWEST bidder:jester:

variablebinary
05-27-11, 14:49
The Army would never do something that stupid...

Marines might...

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd30/Love_enjoi/CamoTest1107002.jpg

MikeO
05-27-11, 16:40
The old USAF MHS needed a safety, don't know if the new Army MHS does. HK and FN fit the old specs best (modular fire control system, safety).

We've started this fandango before. SOF-CP, FHS, JCP, CP, AFH, AFFH, MHS... Couldn't get everybody on the same page and/or funding was denied.

DOD did negotiate an option on up to 450K more M9s at $220 million. Exercising those options could get us through the next 25 yrs cheaper than a new trial and subsequent contract. That might end up being more important then a better pistol to the folks who pay for it.