PDA

View Full Version : Mid-length Carbines

FChen17213
02-17-11, 23:06
I've shot several carbine length gas system carbines. Some have 16" barrels while others had 14.5" barrels with extended permanently fixed flash hiders. I think the carbines are fine. I've never shot a mid-length before but it seems to me like the 14.5" mid length with extended rail seems to be all the rage these days. I understand that some people believe that the mid-length shoots smoother with a smaller recoil impulse and that the wear and tear on the parts are slightly reduced.

My question is whether there's really a noticeable advantage in the midlength carbines or not? Or is this just another Vogue trendy thing that every AR collector just has to buy to round out their collection? I don't want to sound like I'm criticizing people in the gun world, but I see over hyped trends come and go all the time.... example: gas piston ARs. Not that gas piston ARs aren't any good, but it was definitely the "gotta have it" gun at some point and then it came and went. Other trends were like big overkill heavy Surefire lights (M900 series) and red dot magnifiers. Please understand that I'm not bashing those products (they do have their merits in certain circumstances), but I think that their popularity came and went as people realized that they weren't practical in many applications.
Damn...I'm trying to talk myself out of building a midlength AR....lol

Mr. Goodtimes
02-17-11, 23:11
Why would you try and talk your self out of building a midlength AR? There is nothing to lose by building a middy. I could tell a very slight difference between the recoil impulse of my 16in middy and 16in carbine. The midlength gas system is most definately not a fad; in fact it seems it's quickly becomming the industry standard.

Iraqgunz
02-17-11, 23:44
It's not a belief that the midlength shoots smoother, it's a fact. When you increase the length of the gas tube (think rifle) the pressures is decreased and the gun isn't beat up as much.

I don't think they are a "fad". They are an evolution of the design. Noveske and others have been making them for more than a couple of years now. The other things you talk about, Surefire M900 and red dots have all evolved as well. Take a look at the newest M900 with LED heads or the M952V.

I've shot several carbine length gas system carbines. Some have 16" barrels while others had 14.5" barrels with extended permanently fixed flash hiders. I think the carbines are fine. I've never shot a mid-length before but it seems to me like the 14.5" mid length with extended rail seems to be all the rage these days. I understand that some people believe that the mid-length shoots smoother with a smaller recoil impulse and that the wear and tear on the parts are slightly reduced.

My question is whether there's really a noticeable advantage in the midlength carbines or not? Or is this just another Vogue trendy thing that every AR collector just has to buy to round out their collection? I don't want to sound like I'm criticizing people in the gun world, but I see over hyped trends come and go all the time.... example: gas piston ARs. Not that gas piston ARs aren't any good, but it was definitely the "gotta have it" gun at some point and then it came and went. Other trends were like big overkill heavy Surefire lights (M900 series) and red dot magnifiers. Please understand that I'm not bashing those products (they do have their merits in certain circumstances), but I think that their popularity came and went as people realized that they weren't practical in many applications.
Damn...I'm trying to talk myself out of building a midlength AR....lol

ucrt
02-17-11, 23:52

The midlength has a 2" longer sight radius.
Longer hand guard real estate.
Definitely, like others have said, milder cycling.

A ML is just a good compromise between a rifle and a carbine.

SomeOtherGuy
02-17-11, 23:53
What Iraqgunz said. Armalite has been building midlengths since sometime in the 1990's so it's not a new fad. More companies are adopting the concept every year it seems. The rationale is very simple, and you can feel a difference in shooting them back to back with a 16" M4gery setup.

Clint
02-18-11, 00:12
There is an advantage.

Remember, the original design was a 20" Rifle length gas system.

I believe the carbine length gas system, light buffer and short receiver extension were all the result of design choices that involved a healthy dose of compromise in order to reach the goal of a short OAL quickly.

Mid length gas systems and the VLTOR A5 buffer system are cases in point.

Some background...

Two competing goals are at work in an autoloader.

1) waiting as long as possible to start extraction under the lowest chamber pressure and case friction.
(implies a long distance from chamber to gas port )

2) having enough gas impulse to cycle the action
(implies a relatively fixed amount of distance from gas port to muzzle)

With a long 20" barrel, both goals are easily met.

There is a lot of real estate to go around.

When barrel lengths shrink, everything must be compressed.

Goal #2 always has to be met, in order to have an autoloading weapon.

So, goal #1 is compromised as the barrel length shrinks.

The closer the gas port is to the chamber, the earlier extraction starts, under higher chamber pressure.

In addition, the slope of the pressure curve is steeper.

This means that small variations in velocity and pressure have a bigger effect on the total impulse of gas delivered to cycle the action.

None of this variability helps reliability.

Some good technical information on the DI system can be found here (http://www.ar15barrels.com/prod/operation.shtml).

http://ar15barrels.com/tech/pressure-time.gif

rob_s
02-18-11, 05:29
I am hoping to get a few things done so that I can eventually try to document the actual difference at the shoulder, but ignoring that issue for a moment...

For me the real attraction to the mid-length is more space to put my hand and attach my sling, more coverage of a hot barrel to keep me from contacting it by mistake, and a slightly longer sight radius. I don't really care one whit about the pressure/recoil/beatingtheguntodeath alleged benefits.

Doc Safari
02-18-11, 08:56
Various posts on this forum have convinced me that the mid-length is more durable and will take longer before you start having to replace the bolt, the barrel, etc., than the carbine. The question lies in how much more durable in terms of thousands of rounds and I don't think anyone has narrowed that down definitively.

Being someone who shoots guns with a lot more recoil than any AR to begin with, the difference in recoil impulse between the carbine and middy doesn't amount to a hill of beans to me.

My opinion is that you should just own a mix of carbines and mid-lengths and you'll have the bases covered.

Texas42
02-18-11, 15:28
Various posts on this forum have convinced me that the mid-length is more durable and will take longer before you start having to replace the bolt, the barrel, etc., than the carbine. The question lies in how much more durable in terms of thousands of rounds and I don't think anyone has narrowed that down definitively.

Being someone who shoots guns with a lot more recoil than any AR to begin with, the difference in recoil impulse between the carbine and middy doesn't amount to a hill of beans to me.

My opinion is that you should just own a mix of carbines and mid-lengths and you'll have the bases covered.

lol. I've got a middy and want to get a carbine too, and a 20" and a bull barrel. The only annoying thing with the middy is that the company I bought my upper from didn't have the middy handguards I wanted in stock. I had to buy them from Midway (not the worst thing). I'd say I'd lke the extra couple inches in sight radius, but I stink at iron sites and like optics.

I'm happy with my middy. I'm not ever going to sell this one. Maybe add, someday.

Watrdawg
02-18-11, 15:59
I made it a point to search and read as much as possible about the various weapons before I purchased my AR. What really convinced me to go with the 14.5 Middy was the video comparisons between the various buffers. I had also read a lot on this site about the recoil impulse of the Middy compared to the Carbine lenght system and then the combination of the H2 or H3 buffer and the midlength gas system. The combination sealed the deal. Recoil for this round, as we all know, is basically nothing. However, with this combination there is basically 0 muzzle rise. For me at least the overall length of my Middy is perfect. It just fits. That's a very subjective description but it's the best I can do. A 14.5" Midlength setup is so versatile that I can use it for most anything I want.

FChen17213
02-18-11, 20:22
Damn it....looks like I'm going to get a 14.5" BCM Middy or build a DD 14.5" middy.

Grrrr
02-18-11, 20:34
Just finished putting the final pieces on my bcm 16" lw middy upper. Now I'm just waiting for the paperwork to come back on the lower. Should be ready next friday.

RogerinTPA
02-18-11, 20:39
Damn it....looks like I'm going to get a 14.5" BCM Middy or build a DD 14.5" middy.

Both are excellent choices.

To your original question, the Middys are, as IG stated, an evolution of the AR platform, being a very efficient compromise between carbine and rifle length. I own 3 Mid-lengths: Sabre Defense, LMT MRP and newly arrived DD 14.5 with a light weight barrel and 1.5 Battlecomp. I haven't shot the DD yet, but the other two I've had for a few years now. They defiantly have less perceived recoil than my 2 Colt 6920s. I like both systems, but the Middies get shot more, due to less recoil, more rail for my shooting style (support hand as far forward as possible) and a BattleComp.:cool:

spd707
02-18-11, 22:27
I purchased my mid-length for the simple reason that a mid-length rail handguard gives me more flexibility on where I can mount items (VFG, light, etc.) compared to the shorter 7".

duece71
02-18-11, 22:36
Great discussion on the mid length AR. My next and probably last will be a mid length, BCM, DD.

Stuntman206
02-18-11, 23:14
I was totally sold on the mid length upper, only one problem, its not mil-spec. Mid length is an industry adaptation, the parts are not government contracted and therefore when armageddon hits, wont be as available as carbine and rifle systems. For this reason alone I went with a LMT 14.5" Carbine upper as my main, and that is backed up with a Stag 16" Carbine upper. I plan to round out with a 10.5" Carbine upper, and maybe even an 18 or 20" rifle. Also, my next complete is going out of spec to a Mega monolithic upper to a Mega billet lower. Maybe on that system I will go for the mid length since its already out of spec, however it would probably be smarter to keep it carbine or rifle for, if nothing else, availability of parts.

Please refute this, as I do like the mid-length system both asthetically and from a real estate point of view.

MistWolf
02-19-11, 00:42
I was totally sold on the mid length upper, only one problem, its not mil-spec. Mid length is an industry adaptation, the parts are not government contracted and therefore when armageddon hits, wont be as available as carbine and rifle systems...

...because it makes sense to stock up on replacement parts for your AR after Dun dun dun... Armageddon hits us. When you go down to the local FEMA office to get your relief toothbrush, comb and .gov cheese, they'll also give you a complimentary gas tube for your carbine or rifle (sorry, middy gas tubes do not receive the .gov Seal of Approval) :big_boss:

Iraqgunz
02-19-11, 01:12
Was this some feeble attempt at dumb humor or what? Just curious because aside from the gas tube as far as I know every other part is interchangeable.

How many gas tubes do you plan on burning through? And your Stag is definitely not near "spec" so I fail to see what your point is. :confused:

I was totally sold on the mid length upper, only one problem, its not mil-spec. Mid length is an industry adaptation, the parts are not government contracted and therefore when armageddon hits, wont be as available as carbine and rifle systems. For this reason alone I went with a LMT 14.5" Carbine upper as my main, and that is backed up with a Stag 16" Carbine upper. I plan to round out with a 10.5" Carbine upper, and maybe even an 18 or 20" rifle. Also, my next complete is going out of spec to a Mega monolithic upper to a Mega billet lower. Maybe on that system I will go for the mid length since its already out of spec, however it would probably be smarter to keep it carbine or rifle for, if nothing else, availability of parts.

Please refute this, as I do like the mid-length system both asthetically and from a real estate point of view.

Vern
02-19-11, 01:54
...because it makes sense to stock up on replacement parts for your AR after Dun dun dun... Armageddon hits us. When you go down to the local FEMA office to get your relief toothbrush, comb and .gov cheese, they'll also give you a complimentary gas tube for your carbine or rifle (sorry, middy gas tubes do not receive the .gov Seal of Approval) :big_boss:

LMFAO!!!
Like the government is going to handing out spare AR parts to every Tom, Dick, and Harry that wants them. He thinks that he will be killing so many zombies that he is going to need a new gas tube! Running that Stag this is the last thing I would have on my mind if the dead were to walk. Some people have a train of thought that....well you know. Good luck dude.

FChen17213
02-19-11, 06:04
I do have one big annoyance with the midlength 14.5" as I do with all 14.5" ARs in general. Since you have to get an extended flash hider permanently pinned, your choices in rails are severely limited unless you get one already built up...and I don't have the tools to do so. Since you can't take off the FSB once you get the flash hider pinned, you must either get a 2 piece rail that does not require the removal of the FSB for installation or get one already built.

Other than the DD Omega, I would have to get an upper that is already set up with a rail. I think even the Omega X requires removal of the FSB on initial installation. I was really looking to get a BCM 14.5" lightweight or BFH 14.5" with 9.0 DD Lite Rail but they've been sold out for quite some time now. I would just buy a BCM upper with permanently pinned FH but then I wouldn't be able to get the handguards on unless I used a DD Omega. Anyone know of a place that either still builds uppers to your spec or have middys in stock?

Iraqgunz
02-19-11, 06:12
All the tinfoil nonsense aside your issue with the 14.5" is misguided. You only have to have it pinned if you live in a state that doesn't allow SBR's.

In that case get a 16" middy because for all intents and purposes most people cannot tell the difference between a 16" or 14.5".

I think you would be fine with an Omega rail. I recently built a middy using a Magpul MOE and it turned out real good. Unless yo uare hanging a ton of shit off there it may be the one to go with.

I think if there's ever a state of severe emergency, the government would try to disarm the entire general public and herd people up like sheep for evacuation or something like that before anything else. Unfortunately that's the world we live in. Hurricane Katrina is a good example. Pretty much no government tolerates a population standing up for itself and making it on their own during a state of emergency. It's all about control control and more control. Even though there were people making it fine on their own during disasters like Katrina, the government was forcing people to evacuate and disarm them. I guarantee you anyone who was found not evacauted and still in their home who was armed was immediately arrested. Ok....we're getting way off topic here....

I do have one big annoyance with the midlength 14.5" as I do with all 14.5" ARs in general. Since you have to get an extended flash hider permanently pinned, your choices in rails are severely limited unless you get one already built up...and I don't have the tools to do so. Since you can't take off the FSB once you get the flash hider pinned, you must either get a 2 piece rail that does not require the removal of the FSB for installation or get one already built.

Other than the DD Omega, I would have to get an upper that is already set up with a rail. I think even the Omega X requires removal of the FSB on initial installation. I was really looking to get a BCM 14.5" lightweight or BFH 14.5" with 9.0 DD Lite Rail but they've been sold out for quite some time now. I would just buy a BCM upper with permanently pinned FH but then I wouldn't be able to get the handguards on unless I used a DD Omega. Anyone know of a place that either still builds uppers to your spec or have middys in stock?

FChen17213
02-19-11, 06:27
Unfortunately, I can't have an SBR where I live.....wish I could. I'd build myself a MK18 clone. My local Sheriff is anti-gun and won't sign for any suppressors, SBRs, or full autos. In fact, the Sheriffs in most of the surrounding counties won't either. I don't think I'm going to go the trust or corporation route either....my dealer says that that's trouble waiting to happen eventually.

That being said, I might go with a 16".....I sort of like the 14.5" better but it is just 1.5". I wonder if a lightweight 16" barrel weights less than a medium profile 14.5".

I do have two carbine DD Omega rails...great rails. I've never had any issues with either. In fact, my carbines have served me well for both benchrest shooting and in classes. I guess I just wanted something maybe a little different in a mid-length....if it turns out great, I might start selling carbines and getting more mid-lengths.

Clint
02-19-11, 07:09
Unfortunately, I can't have an SBR where I live.....wish I could.

In fact, the Sheriffs in most of the surrounding counties won't either. I don't think I'm going to go the trust or corporation route either....

my dealer says that that's trouble waiting to happen eventually.

I wouldn't take legal advice from a local "gun guy" without doing your own research.

I don't see how a properly executed trust can get you into trouble.

Trusts seem to have advantages, such as adding family members to be legally is possession/use of the item and keeping the local sherif and his narrow views out of the equation.

Do a search, there are detailed step-by-step instructions available.

jonconsiglio
02-19-11, 09:03
A trust is a very good way to go. You can add others, which is a benefit for me at least.

As for the middy, stick with the 16". Out fo curiosity, how many rounds do you plan on putting through this thing? The reason I ask, is if it's only 1,000 a year, you really shouldn't notice much difference between the options as the benefit won't be seen at the level it would if that was 1,000+ a month.

As for the 14.5" and 16" thing, I am happy with 16". If I need shorter, I go 12" or 11.5". Even having SBR'd lowers, I don't see choosing a 14.5" over a 16". I'm not saying I wouldn't buy one, I just wouldn't get hung up on it and use it as a deciding factor.

I know I used to have a tendency to over think these things which is what I see here. I know a few guys that get off more on the thought of the next buy that the gun itself. Don't be that guy. Order whichever midlength they have in stock, shoot it and enjoy it.

Gunfighter 9
02-19-11, 09:32
I have one simple question. Can someone please explain to me what a mid-length carbine is? It this where the gas port on the barrel is farther forward, or is this a reference strictly to barrel length? Thanks.

HeavyDuty
02-19-11, 09:39
I have one simple question. Can someone please explain to me what a mid-length carbine is? It this where the gas port on the barrel is farther forward, or is this a reference strictly to barrel length? Thanks.

It's referring to the placement of the gas port. There's a chart on the first page that shows the relationship between the various gas systems and gives actual placement measurements.

Gunfighter 9
02-19-11, 09:46
Thanks HeavyDuty. So, if I wanted to turn my M&P 15 into a mid-length carbine I would just need to change the barrel and gas tube. That might be something to consider. Thanks for the info.

jeremy stanke
02-19-11, 10:07
FChen17213- if you had to, you could always send your upper to someone like adco and they could remove the welded FH and then install your rail and re-attach a new FH

FChen17213
02-19-11, 11:24
I frequently rotate between carbines I already have, but definitely more than 1000 rounds a year. I generally put 10000-20000 through the tube a year, but that's rotated between several guns and including pistols. Thus, I think the round count might be in the low 1000s. Then if I don't like it, it might sit around 500 or less.

Before everyone bites my head off about not shooting a gun all the time, how many of us really don't have a gun we just never warmed up to and sat there collecting dust? I'll be the first to admit that I've had a few....example Bushmaster ACR and FNP40 pistol.

Vern
02-19-11, 11:37
I frequently rotate between carbines I already have, but definitely more than 1000 rounds a year. I generally put 10000-20000 through the tube a year, but that's rotated between several guns and including pistols. Thus, I think the round count might be in the low 1000s. Then if I don't like it, it might sit around 500 or less.

Before everyone bites my head off about not shooting a gun all the time, how many of us really don't have a gun we just never warmed up to and sat there collecting dust? I'll be the first to admit that I've had a few....example Bushmaster ACR and FNP40 pistol.

I do the same thing, I rotate between AR's I think this is a great practice. Why have several and beat one up and let the others sit.

jonconsiglio
02-19-11, 11:59

Good deal, then you'll appreciate the difference with a mid length, though personally I don't see any advantage to the 14.5", especially with a welded and pinned FH/comp. I still say get a 16" middy with a lightweight barrel. Adding a T3 or BattleComp along with the Vltor A5, you'll notice an even greater difference.

I've had a number of guns that just sat untouched in the safe. Last year, I sold over a dozen handguns.

No matter what length you end up with, I imagine the mid length will
quickly become your most used AR.

MrMilspecer
02-19-11, 12:17
Thanks for the chart Clint. Thats some good info. Now I want a rifle length w/ a 18-20'' barrel amazing numbers. Ive also heard a carbine in 16'' barrel is a bad combination but yet my DD seems smooth to me. Am i reading the chart wrong? Is a 16'' smothest for a carbine ?

Iraqgunz
02-19-11, 13:45
Based on what I have read SBR's are not legal in MI, with a few exceptions (C&R). In this situation the OP should just go with a 16". HMMV.

I wouldn't take legal advice from a local "gun guy" without doing your own research.

I don't see how a properly executed trust can get you into trouble.

Trusts seem to have advantages, such as adding family members to be legally is possession/use of the item and keeping the local sherif and his narrow views out of the equation.

Do a search, there are detailed step-by-step instructions available.

Stuntman206
02-19-11, 13:50
No humour. I prefer to keep everything mil-spec. My stag was my first upper ever, Its been replaced with an LMT 14.5, so as my backup, it is fine. What is out of spec on the stag?

Was this some feeble attempt at dumb humor or what? Just curious because aside from the gas tube as far as I know every other part is interchangeable.

How many gas tubes do you plan on burning through? And your Stag is definitely not near "spec" so I fail to see what your point is. :confused:

Iraqgunz
02-19-11, 14:00
Do a search for Stag Arms and ye shall find. In any case your analysis of the mid length is wrong. YMMV.

No humour. I prefer to keep everything mil-spec. My stag was my first upper ever, Its been replaced with an LMT 14.5, so as my backup, it is fine. What is out of spec on the stag?

Stuntman206
02-19-11, 14:27
I wouldn't say my analysis is wrong, mid length gas systems are NOT mil-spec. Wether or not that matters is debateable, but I am not wrong.

Do a search for Stag Arms and ye shall find. In any case your analysis of the mid length is wrong. YMMV.

jeremy stanke
02-19-11, 14:31
Based on what I have read SBR's are not legal in MI, with a few exceptions (C&R). In this situation the OP should just go with a 16". HMMV.

Where do you see that the OP is from MI? Just curious.

rojocorsa
02-19-11, 16:56
I wouldn't say my analysis is wrong, mid length gas systems are NOT mil-spec. Wether or not that matters is debateable, but I am not wrong.

Just because some things are not Mil-Spec doesn't mean that they are bad.

I don't know too much about the mil-spec standards, but I bet you that they are years old and not necessarily updated every so often.

Do as you wish by all means.

But like others here, I think it's silly to dismiss something just because it's not mil-spec, despite all the benefits that it has shown--everything from better control in FA to lesser wear on the parts. The first thing I learned when I joined M4C was that for a gun to really be "mil-spec" anyway, it has to be issued by the US military. Without that, it cannot technically be mil-spec.

Rattlehead
02-19-11, 17:19
**deleted**

Iraqgunz
02-19-11, 22:56
Ooops, that was the other guy. The OP I believe is in NC which also has some quirky laws when it comes to NFA. If I am wrong, someone let me know.

Where do you see that the OP is from MI? Just curious.

Iraqgunz
02-19-11, 22:59
Your analysis is wrong in that the components being used that matter (barrels, bolts, and uppers) are true 5.56 chambers, HP/MPI tested (from those that I mentioned) and the only real difference is the gas tube.

Since those parts I mentioned are the real meat and potatoes of the system if they are made right and put together they will run.

You can argue semantics all day long.

ucrt
02-19-11, 23:25

I think the only parts that differ from a Carbine and a Mid-Length are the Barrels (ported in different places), the Gas Tubes (different lengths) and obviously, the Hand Guards (different lengths).

I have seen some ML HG's that only work with round Caps but I think the "standard" for ML's are triangular caps. My MOE HG's look like they will fit round or triangular.

Iraqgunz
02-20-11, 00:44
ucrt,

You are correct. I guess my point was why does some type of mythical parts compatibility matter? Most shooters will not burn out a barrel. Gas tubes are cheap and unless they are damaged beyod repair they can be cleaned with certain carbon removing compounds.

Bolts, upper receivers and eveything else stay the same. In additon to whatever "end of the world" fantasy that someone is thinking about one can get a new barrel, gas tube and handguards and convert it back to a carbine.

So for someone to discount it based on some type of EOTWAWKI scenario and parts is just plain sillyness.

I think the only parts that differ from a Carbine and a Mid-Length are the Barrels (ported in different places), the Gas Tubes (different lengths) and obviously, the Hand Guards (different lengths).

I have seen some ML HG's that only work with round Caps but I think the "standard" for ML's are triangular caps. My MOE HG's look like they will fit round or triangular.

FChen17213
02-20-11, 00:55
Yes, I am in NC. I don't think I made it public though....honestly I don't remember. Yes, NC defines most NFA items as "weapons of mass death and destruction." Can you imagine that? As expected, they are banned under state law, and it is a Class H or F (don't remember which off the top of my head) Felony to possess one. That being said, there is a narrow legal exception. You can own one if it is for "scientific and research purposes" and of course you still have to follow federal law with the $200 stamp, background checks, CLEO signature, etc. In my neck of the woods, it is extremely rare to find individuals with Class 3 items....most of the guys I know who have them are Class 3 SOTs and dealers. NC is much more anti-gun than most states in the south.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I think I'm going to get a BCM lower and start a mid-length build....probably go with a BCM upper. Either a 16" lightweight or a 14.5" EAG with A2X Flash Hider permanently installed.

Iraqgunz
02-20-11, 00:59
Strongly consider a 16" with a Battle Comp 1.0.

Yes, I am in NC. I don't think I made it public though....honestly I don't remember. Yes, NC defines most NFA items as "weapons of mass death and destruction." Can you imagine that? As expected, they are banned under state law, and it is a Class H or F (don't remember which off the top of my head) Felony to possess one. That being said, there is a narrow legal exception. You can own one if it is for "scientific and research purposes" and of course you still have to follow federal law with the $200 stamp, background checks, CLEO signature, etc. In my neck of the woods, it is extremely rare to find individuals with Class 3 items....most of the guys I know who have them are Class 3 SOTs and dealers. NC is much more anti-gun than most states in the south.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I think I'm going to get a BCM lower and start a mid-length build....probably go with a BCM upper. Either a 16" lightweight or a 14.5" EAG with A2X Flash Hider permanently installed.

Stuntman206
02-20-11, 02:54
over a 14.5 with a battlecomp 1.5? I just ordered a LMT MRP rifle 16" cut down to 14.5 and a 1.5 battlecomp, but I have been thinking of not having them cut it down and just running it at 16 with the 1.0 like you say. Advantages?

Strongly consider a 16" with a Battle Comp 1.0.

Rattlehead
02-20-11, 03:03
Advantages of the 16" would be being able to remove the FH and GB (unless the 14.5" was NFA). You would also gain a little velocity with the 16".

MistWolf
02-20-11, 03:07
Being able to simply remove the muzzle device and only needing to replace the crush washer, means it's easier to make upgrades & changes or experiment with different parts to the upper as the shooter grows in experience, or to meet changing mission needs, is a distinct advantage