PDA

View Full Version : Pre-ban Mags...what to do?

ASH556
02-18-11, 09:51
I've got some pre-ban mags that I bought as re-conditioned when I first got into AR's in '02. I've got 3-4. Sanchez and Okay ( I think) I also have one or two LE marked mags. I see people posting WTB ads in the EE for Pre-ban mags. What do I need to show to prove these are pre-bans? Is the LE mag worth anything? I'd love to be able to help someone in a ban state, and maybe grab some new P-mags with the funds. Can someone school me on what's what?

Thanks!

Travis B
02-18-11, 11:04
There's no difference in pre- and post-ban mags, unless you're talking capacity.

christcorp
02-18-11, 11:21
Also; pre/post ban is totally subjective to WHEN the ban existed/exists. I.e. there is no longer a federal ban on magazine capacity. So, there is no such thing as Pre/Post ban magazines. Anyone buying Pre-ban magazines, at a much higher price, is getting screwed. If your local/state has a ban on certain magazines, then the PRE/POST ban depends on the year that the local/state implemented the "BAN". If the date is before, then it's PRE-Ban. If your local/state ALLOWS pre-ban grandfather clauses, then the magazine might have a date on it. Some areas may not allows a certain capacity, and they don't allow grandfathered Pre-Ban magazines.

ASH556
02-18-11, 11:28
Maybe I should have clarified, but I thought this would be a straightforward answer. These are 30rdn GI type mags. I know there is no longer a federal ban, but I was under the impression that when the FED ban sunset, some states imposed their own state bans, and that folks in some states could make use of pre-ban magazines, thus the WTB ads I had seen in the past. Just need to know the rules/proceedures.

Thanks!

5pins
02-18-11, 11:40
The LE mags are no different then any other mag out there and therefore have no special value. If you know that they are preban then I would not worry proving it. List the price so you can make enough to replace them with Pmags.

scottryan
02-18-11, 11:56
Unlike the group think/herd mentality in some retard circles, I did not dump all my preban stuff to some person in a ban state after the ban for the price of new stuff.

I kept all my preban magazines in case I have to travel to a ban state someday and be armed.

I also kept all my preban guns because these still climb in value (although not at a high rate like before) because people in ban states are willing to pay for them.

I see no reason to sell an out of production preban Colt to some retard in New York so he can rebuild it into a modern M4 with DPMS shit parts.

This also was one of the best decision I made because this stuff is still holds its value better than current production stuff that has hit rock bottom in price over the past year.

JStor
02-18-11, 12:10
Correct me if I'm wrong, but to be classified as a pre-ban mag, it must have a floorplate stamping of a brand/manufacturer that was available pre-ban, and it must have either no date stamp or an earlier than beginning of ban date stamp on the mag body.

m1a_scoutguy
02-18-11, 12:22
There's no difference in pre- and post-ban mags, unless you're talking capacity.

I say there is a BIG difference,;),certain Manufactures Only made Mags before the Ban,,not sure of the exact ones,,,but I think Sanchez,,Okay,,Adventure,,etc,,but not sure of all that made them !! Yes Capacity is the same but there are subtle differences. Some Mags Had Date Stamps,, such as 8/91,,or some other dates !! The LEO Mags State LEO/Military/Export only,,,,,those mags are NOT good for Band States,,:( As far as value,,,,its not like they are worth a ton more,,if they were New In Wrap,,,,they would be worth more,,,but being used,,,maybe $15 bucks tops,,,but I wouldn't pay more than $10/$12 bucks myself,,,but then thats me !! I say keep them,,ya just NEVER know !!! Or as one of OUR Senior Member's states, sell them to some "RETARD" in a Ban State !!! :rolleyes::rolleyes: They don't know any better anyways,,;)

Madball13
02-18-11, 12:40
In Mass (where i live) you can only have high capacity mags that are pre-ban. No proof is needed to prove they are pre-ban as it is up to the state to prove you knowingly accepted post-ban mags. So if it's GI and not dated and made by a manufacturer that existed before 9/14/1994 then i am free and clear to buy and have shipped into Mass.

christcorp
02-18-11, 13:59
Ash; I think I answered exactly your question. But I'll try a different way. First; we all agree that there are no federal bans. So pre/post is irrelevant for that.

As for states; each state is different. Some may have had a ban in place PRIOR to the federal ban, and still have such a ban. That bad could have been stricter than the federal ban. You have to know what that state's ban is. But if you're simply SELLING, then it's not your problem. It's up to the individual wanting to buy it, to know if s/he is allowed to have such a magazine in their state.

A state can either have NO BAN, a General Capacity Ban, a Removable vs Fixed magazine Ban, or a Manufacturer Ban. There's nothing else about a magazine that you can Ban/Allow. Now, these individual states MAY have a "Grandfather" clause that says IF you have a magazine manufactured PRIOR to our Ban Date, that it's allowed. Another state could simply say, there are NO grandfathering. You will NOT have any magazine over "X" amount of rounds. This is not your problem. Be as accurate as you want to about describing the magazine for sale. Mention the make and date if you can. That's all you can do. One person might actually care about the date or manufacturer. Another might not care at all. Now, if you want to research the gun laws in each and every state, have at it. But it's not like every state that has a magazine ban, has the EXACT SAME BAN or the same period of time for "Pre-Post" ban. Pre-Post is only relative to the date that THAT STATE implemented their ban. And then, pre ONLY APPLIES if that state ALLOWS PRE-Ban. They don't have to.

Texas42
02-18-11, 15:16
I hate to be "that guy," . . . . but I love living in Texas.