PDA

View Full Version : Night sights still available on Glock 17s?

jhs1969
02-18-11, 09:52
In the past I had special ordered through couple of different dealers a couple of G17s and G19s with factory installed night sights. Searching on gun broker I now find next to nothing. Are night sights still availbe from Glock (on Gen 3 G17)?

I know there are better sights available aftermarket, but I have a couple of reasons for factory installed night sights.

First, while not the best option, I do find them serviceable and cheaper than aftermarket sights.

Second, I have always felt the factory installed sights to be more "durable" due to the way they are "riveted" on.

Any input on my line of reasoning here?

jmlshooter
02-18-11, 09:58
I really, really, really want to try the new Trijicon HD sights. Man, those look awesome.

Semizal0311
02-18-11, 10:16
1. I honestly believe the slightly higher cost of aftermarket night sights is well worth it when defending my life.
2. I could be wrong but I do not see how factory installed night sights are more serviceable or durable then after market sights. I’m pretty sure my Warren Tactical sights are installed the same way that factory sights would be.

Palmguy
02-18-11, 10:17
Yes factory night sights are still available. They now come in the screw on style as opposed to the older style front sight.

I personally see no durability advantage for GNS and find that the price delta for superior options is rather small, all things considered.

jhs1969
02-18-11, 18:11
Yes factory night sights are still available. They now come in the screw on style as opposed to the older style front sight.

I personally see no durability advantage for GNS and find that the price delta for superior options is rather small, all things considered.

Thanks, if Glock no longer uses the "rivet" type of front sight mounting then my train of thought may have just became moot.

loupav
02-18-11, 19:39
Just making sure. But Gen 3 and Gen 4 use the same sights. Right? I'm pretty sure that they do. But better safe than sorry.

hickuleas
02-18-11, 19:46
I was told by my dealer that effective Jan. 1 2011 only Mil/Leo can buy Glock pistols with factory installed Glock night sights.

Jake'sDad
02-19-11, 00:18
I was told by my dealer that effective Jan. 1 2011 only Mil/Leo can buy Glock pistols with factory installed Glock night sights.

That would be strange. With what the manufacturers pay for OEM night sights, why would they give up that profit center?

skyugo
02-19-11, 02:20

sounds like gun store BS...
hopefully someone here can confirm or deny.

Bob RI
02-19-11, 06:14

My local shop also told me that Glock is moving away from night sights.

RONK
02-19-11, 07:54
It's true,Glock no longer sells NS installed on their pistols from the factory for the civilian market.They also eliminated green frame pistols and possibly the C compensated model.With the advent of the Gen 4 pistols it was understandably just to much for them.
RONK

Palmguy
02-19-11, 08:42
I guess I should have had an asterisk on my earlier post. I have heard what has been mentioned about factory night sights (on Gen4s IIRC) only being available on blue label guns moving forward.

skyugo
02-19-11, 14:11
It's true,Glock no longer sells NS installed on their pistols from the factory for the civilian market.They also eliminated green frame pistols and possibly the C compensated model.With the advent of the Gen 4 pistols it was understandably just to much for them.
RONK

I'd kinda rather they didn't pull a SIG and spread themselves too thin and let everything go to crap.

Jake'sDad
02-19-11, 16:29
RONK

Installing night sights they buy OEM from other manufacturers on their civilian guns, was too much for them?

LowSpeed_HighDrag
02-19-11, 16:53
Apparently not. I recently ordered a G26 and even with MIL I was not able to get the factory NS. I bought a pair of tru-glo and had the dealer do the install instead.

skyugo
02-19-11, 17:36
i guess it makes logistical sense. LE/Gov doesn't want teh hassle of getting 100 sets of night sights installed, so they'll take whatever is offered by glock and issue them. most civilian users either just buy the gun as a range toy and are fine with the stock sights, or have some specific sight system in mind. the factory plastic sights are only worth a couple bucks, so they don't really add to the cost of the gun.