PDA

View Full Version : I just finished my First Responder class

Ceddie
02-18-11, 10:17
Now I’m going to schedule my NREMT exam. I took OK notes during lecture and I plan to re-read the text this weekend, does anyone have any additional advice for test prep?

Thanks in advance.

rsgard
02-18-11, 10:26
Assuming NREMT first responder is a similar format to paramedic there isnt really anything you need to do at this point beyond look at some practice test questions and relax.

zekus480
02-18-11, 10:39
i'm a medic in the army and have to take the NREMT-B exam every two years. my advice is to get a good nights rest, have a good breakfast, and come test time don't second guess yourself. remember the meds an EMT can give and assist with. The bone in the pic of the foot is the Calcaneus, which has been every version of the test that i've taken. best of luck.

Pusher
02-19-11, 09:37
Assuming NREMT first responder is a similar format to paramedic there isnt really anything you need to do at this point beyond look at some practice test questions and relax.

They are the same except the Paramedic actually gets to do what they are tested on. As long as you study and just relax and REALLY READ the questions you'll be fine. Good luck and let us know how you did.

appliance brad
02-19-11, 20:04
The test is fairly easy if you did well in the class. Just don't put off taking it, schedule and go take it. The format is a tad intimidating if you've not taken a computer based test like it previously. The thing just shuts down at some point when either you've passed or failed. I had my results back quickly so there was not too much time to sit around and wonder if I passed or not.

Good luck and let us know when you pass.

04rwon
02-20-11, 22:33
Congrats OP. Im in the class now, its the same stuff I took for EMT but didnt keep up on it so I had to take this.

I personally like First Responder more. I can help but dont have to get too deep in. Plus being in the FD it keeps me on the Engine and Truck more than the Ambo.

Ceddie
02-21-11, 07:19
Roger that. gonna schedule the exam in the next week or so. Honestly, the challenging part is making the time to get down to the test center.
the entire course was just common sense stuff with limiting factors to protect the responder.

04rwon, do you feel like you are limited on what you can do vs what you are allowed to do as a FR when you use to be an EMT?

Ceddie
04-12-11, 15:40
I took the exam last Sat. passed without a problem.

Now to figure out which will work into night school better FF1 or EMT-B

GIJew766
04-12-11, 19:06
My recommendation echos several others. Try not to stress too much over it, get a good night's rest before, and EAT BREAKFAST! Nothing worse than sitting through that test with your gut a rumblin' and you getting that gnawing feeling.

Also, as stupid as this sounds, make sure you "evacuate" your bowels before you go in.

Good luck brother, and stay safe out there!

H

mechanic87
04-12-11, 19:16
All of this advice is spot-on. The one item that I feel is most beneficial is the practice questions. I sat thru state boards for my RN license that sound very much the same as your exam and doing practice questions each night helps prepare you for the mindset of the exam. Also, I second the idea of not waiting too long to take the test.

Bionic Dead
04-21-11, 15:54
I took the exam last Sat. passed without a problem.

Now to figure out which will work into night school better FF1 or EMT-B

From my experience, if you are trying to get onto a fire dept. they would rather have you medically trainned than FF1 trainned. If I were you, I would skip EMT-B and just do EMT-I. I am an EMT-B currently. It didnt do jack for me here in GA. Noone cares about an EMT-B here...only EMT-I. Just finished school for EMT-I and am test National Reg. next week. Guess it just depends on your state.

Ceddie
04-25-11, 16:21
Bionic Dead, Best of luck with the test!

Going to talk to the local Deps and see what they are looking for, then I'll figure out which way to go.

thanks for the support and advice everyone!

hikeeba
07-11-11, 11:28
My apologies for bumping an old thread, but I read it and wanted to add some things that may help Ceddie..

Congrats on passing your FR class, Ceddie. And good for you in wanting to continue down that road.

From my experience, if you are trying to get onto a fire dept. they would rather have you medically trainned than FF1 trainned. If I were you, I would skip EMT-B and just do EMT-I. I am an EMT-B currently. It didnt do jack for me here in GA. Noone cares about an EMT-B here...only EMT-I. Just finished school for EMT-I and am test National Reg. next week. Guess it just depends on your state.

Regarding what I bolded there, WI requires EMT classes to be taken in order; EMT-B is a pre-req for EMT-I, and so forth. One can't just jump in and take EMT-I or EMT-P unless they can pass the National Registry exams (written and practical) for the pre-req class.

Around here (SE WI) I have seen more guys that have pushed all the way through Paramedic get hired on career FDs than those who have not. BUT, a close buddy of mine who only had EMT-B got hired on one of the better-paying career FDs in the state - and at 42 years old to boot. While EMS training is certainly a plus for getting hired on a career FD, it isn't the only factor. Dont underestimate how maturity, trainability, and attitude can play into getting a gig.

Going to talk to the local Deps and see what they are looking for, then I'll figure out which wa y to go.
thanks for the support and advice everyone!
I don’t know where you are (complete your location in your profile), but if you can get onto a local volunteer or paid-on-call FD, do it. Not only will it look good on a resumé, but you’ll benefit tremendously from as much real-world experience as you can get. Be advised that FD life isn’t all car wrecks and apartment fires – there are a lot more tedious tasks and less glamorous aspects to doing the job.

Lastly, classes provide you with the basic knowledge and skills needed to deal with various situations, but not every call or situation is going to be ‘textbook.’ Your best tool will be your brain, and your ability to think outside the box and adapt to settings and situations. Running with a VFD or private ambulance service will greatly help cultivate this. Being able to think on your feet will help reinforce your confidence in your abilities. Use your imagination, but remember to stick within your scope of practice. Be aggressive in your care, but don’t be overbearing if you operate in a team environment (unless you find yourself surrounded with total incompetence). Don’t lose sight of the fact that you are (or should be) in this business to make a difference in the lives of others, and not to make yourself into the next Hollywood superhero. Stay sharp, and before you know it, you’ll find yourself in some sort of leadership role.

Good luck to you, Ceddie!

Ceddie
07-11-11, 11:58
thanks for the support and input.

Since I finished my FR, I have begun instructing with the Red Cross and have done a little volunteering there. As luck would have it, I’m going to be meeting some of the senior staff at the local VFD to see where I can fit in at the station closest to me.
With a little luck and time, I’ll get some time to give a little back.