PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Tilt Buffers

Heavyweight
02-18-11, 14:58
I recently went looking for an anti-tilt buffer for an M&P15 PS I picked up for a song. Don't give me any piston shit....I love my DI guns but I've been curious for a long time about the different piston systems. After I ran a few hundred rounds through it I noticed some minor buffer tube wear and thought I'd check out Seth's website at Firearm Ready Solutions and pick up one of his buffers.....but I was working on my iPad at the range and couldn't access his site. So, I found this:

http://www.heavybuffers.com/images/Products/AC%20Buffer.gif

Did some searching here and found nothing on this product but decided to order one and give it a shot. So I attached a new receiver extension and went back out to the range today and put 400 rounds down range with the new buffer. No wear at all...nothing. I'm using the H2 AT buffer and a Wolf XP spring and it performed without any malfunctions. Anyway, this appears to be a very quality product and I was surprised I couldn't find anything on it here. I found some info on his other buffers and that he was a reputable seller, but nothing on the AT. Is there anyone else out there using one? If so I'd love to hear your experiences since this is a new device to me. It looks like it should last forever.

Stay Safe!

Heavyweight

ASH556
02-18-11, 15:13
So does that "nipple" protrusion on the receiver side of the buffer fit into the carrier and align everything? Neat idea. Did you notice any wear on either the buffer or the carrier?

ucrt
02-18-11, 15:23

Looks like something that might give you a heck of a blood-blister trying to close your upper. :)

Heavyweight
02-18-11, 15:42
So does that "nipple" protrusion on the receiver side of the buffer fit into the carrier and align everything? Neat idea. Did you notice any wear on either the buffer or the carrier?

That's exactly the idea....the buffer couples with the carrier in a very solid lock up. There was no wear on either the buffer, carrier or receiver extension. This buffer appears to be made of stainless steel which must produce a lot less friction than anodized aluminum.

Robb Jensen
02-18-11, 18:40
Wow looks like a pure patent infringement on the F.R.S. anti-tilt buffer I was testing 2.5yrs ago.

Heavyweight
02-18-11, 20:27
Wow looks like a pure patent infringement on the F.R.S. anti-tilt buffer I was testing 2.5yrs ago.

Man....I didn't realize Seth was the actual inventor of his anti-tilt buffer. I kind of feel like crap for posting this now.

Whootsinator
02-18-11, 20:35

Exactly what I thought... well, except the testing it part, I didn't get to do that.

LettersFromEarth
02-19-11, 09:06
A year or so ago there was a big thread over on TOS regarding this product and it's possible conflict with Seths product. I seem to recall a patent was not applied for, or there was some sort of fook up by the patent lawyer and a patent was denied.

Whootsinator
02-19-11, 09:40
A year or so ago there was a big thread over on TOS regarding this product and it's possible conflict with Seths product. I seem to recall a patent was not applied for, or there was some sort of fook up by the patent lawyer and a patent was denied.

I could have sworn in the thread here at M4C he said that patent was accepted, and he wouldn't have even thought about posting any images or details if it was not.

That's just my screwed up memory though.

Robb Jensen
02-19-11, 09:48

If true.....

"Imitation is the sincerest of flattery."--Charles Caleb Colton

But I know the original works. ;)

Sanpete
02-19-11, 09:56
I'm curious, do you have to push the buffer into the receiver extension further to close the upper on the lower? If that fits inside the rear of the carrier, how does this affect takedown? Maybe I'm missing something obvious and its a 'duh' moment.

Heavyweight
02-19-11, 10:33
I'm curious, do you have to push the buffer into the receiver extension further to close the upper on the lower? If that fits inside the rear of the carrier, how does this affect takedown? Maybe I'm missing something obvious and its a 'duh' moment.

Yes...I use a screwdriver to lever the buffer further into the tube and then close the upper. The buffer then locks into the carrier and to break it down again you have to take the entire upper off. Not too big a deal.

Heavyweight
02-19-11, 10:44
If true.....

"Imitation is the sincerest of flattery."--Charles Caleb Colton

But I know the original works. ;)

I'm going to buy Seth's and try them side by side. I already know they both work but this will alleviate my guilt. Robb.....I went back and found the old posts where you tested it. You guys are right. Seth clearly stated that his patent lawyer told him it was OK to post the designs and photos. Man, I wonder what happened?

LettersFromEarth
02-19-11, 11:14
I could have sworn in the thread here at M4C he said that patent was accepted, and he wouldn't have even thought about posting any images or details if it was not.

That's just my screwed up memory though.
You're probably right about it being on M4C. It was some time ago.

Hammertime
02-19-11, 12:28
I believe FRS's buffer requires the use of a flat spring.

Heavy Buffers/Slash's anti-tilt pictured above does not. The advantages of the Slash/HB buffers are:

They are made of Stainless Steel
They offer a kit that is fully adjustable for $125 - comes with extra weights to make your buffer a H1 up to a HX 6+oz or whatever.

I bought Slash's buffer, and may purchase a FRS for another lower I am using with a piston upper and see how it works. However, I don't know if I can get past the flat spring only idea. I need something that works with what I have laying around, which are normal/round buffer springs.

To God be the Glory
Bryant

kmrtnsn
02-19-11, 12:40
Oh boy, the Botach KZ version should be hitting the streets any day now...........

Hammertime
02-19-11, 12:49
Or the Magpul 2000% mark-up plastic buffer tip. It has the logo - it must be better. Jaja, just kidding, I love 80% of MP's product selection.

For real - the PWS enhanced tube is getting good reviews on reducing/relieving carrier tilt as well.

All in fun
Bryant

Heavyweight
02-19-11, 13:52
I've done some web research today and found as much info as I can on FRS and HeavyBuffers. Seth was never granted a patent and admits this freely. Clint at HeavyBuffers was able to prove he had been making these custom for his customers a couple of years before Seth came on the scene. Both guys seem to be upstanding gentlemen and I truly believe this is just a case of an idea evolving independently through different people. Both these guys were genuinely oblivious to the others existence. At any rate it appears to be a non issue now. There is no patent held by anyone.

You can do your own research if you want. I just wanted to make it known that I think Clint and HeavyBuffers are legit and didn't steel anything from anybody.

LettersFromEarth
02-19-11, 18:06
Clint is a good man. I have two of his buffers, and I can recommend they're purchase and use without hesitation.

Mrs_Esterhouse
09-17-11, 19:22
Does anyone know if FRS is out of business? The website is gone (http://firearmreadysolutions.com). I also can't seem to get a hold of Seth via email...

BufordTJustice
09-17-11, 20:06
Clint is a good man. I have two of his buffers, and I can recommend they're purchase and use without hesitation.

I just read this thread.

I have dealt with Clint at HeavyBuffers on several occasions and he is an upstanding guy.

I had him make for me an XH AR15 carbine buffer body, machined-out to take three weights (normal is two reciprocating weights for the XH body). It's what I use in my carbine now. The heavier buffer body serves much the same function as the Tubbs Carrier Weight System....it adds mass to the BCG.

Clint charged me zero extra dollars for the custom work...and he had it delivered earlier than promised.