PDA

View Full Version : Walther PPS .40 For CCW ?

FMJ556
02-18-11, 15:11
Was looking for a slim profile striker fired handgun for ccw. The PPS caught my eye . Some mixed opinions on it though from the reviews I've read. Anyone have any experiences on it they care to share ? Thanks.

Nitrex
02-18-11, 15:21
I've had the PPS 9mm since they first came out and it's been flawless. The .40 was having some teething issues and I don't know if they were completely resolved. My 9mm PPS is the best CCW I've ever had. Sending it off for some slide work soon.

FMJ556
02-18-11, 15:29
Thanks for the info. What's the slide work you are having done. I like the ability to have different length magazines/extensions for the PPS. Seems to give some flexibility in customizing the grip length.

Kchen986
02-18-11, 15:35
Very slim, easy to conceal, especially during summer months. I tuck it in to a simple IWB and it disappears underneath my polo shirt. Grip is large enough so it isn't unpleasant to shoot (feels more like a snappy glock, than a LCP, or a snubbie .38). Very controllable, IIRC has a pretty decent trigger reset.

Only problem is the mag capacity--IIRC 6+1 in the .40 S&W config. Like I said, most SD shootings take place at contact distances and end within 7 shots, so 7 shots should be enough to end the encounter (for better or worse).

http://www.gunblast.com/images/Glock26/DSC03080.jpg

(photocredits to Gunblast)
Here it is compared to a glock.

FMJ556
02-18-11, 15:40
Thanks for the comparison picture. Yes, it is very slim like the name says !:). The magazine capacity is not an issue as I think if the situation cannot be resolved in 7 shots, then you are anyway in very deep trouble !!!. Reliability and concealability take precedence (for me anyway).

Pistol Shooter
02-18-11, 15:52
I've had a 9mm PPS for almost 18 months. It's been a great little sidearm--super accurate and extremely reliable.

I've put approximately 1,400 rds. of assorted fmj and jhp ammo through it with zero malfunctions to date.

The PPS has good ergonomics, is soft shooting (in 9mm) and is fun at the range.

I think there may have been a few problems with the .40 S&W models when they first came out but I've not heard of any problems since then.

In my experience, the PPS is a great choice for a CCW handgun.

Magazines aren't inexpensive but the price of the PPS itself is very reasonable, IMO.

FMJ556
02-18-11, 15:55
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, the one thing that does concern me is the rather high cost of magazines for the PPS. I would prefer to use factory original mags for something that my life may depend on. Have heard of some bad experiences with after market mags for the PPS.

gtmtnbiker98
02-18-11, 17:16
Between the two caliber options, the .40 has proven to be more problematic than the 9mm. I've owned both the 9mm and .40 and had problems with the .40. I experienced intermittent failures to return to battery and failures to feed. Tried different magazines, the whole nine yards. I couldn't replicate the issue on demand; however, it occurred enough that I later sold the pistol. I also, foolishly, sold my 9mm only because if was one with the blue/gray frame. I thought that I would like the frame color, but later decided that the frame color was not for me. The pistol itself was very reliable.

I am now considering the purchase of another PPS and this time, it will be a black 9mm. The pistols are slim and accurate as can be.

Palmguy
02-18-11, 18:03
I didn't even know there were aftermarket mags for the PPS.

I have a 9mm and love it. Very slim and very pleasant to shoot. I wouldn't want it in .40; not worth the 16% capacity disadvantage in my opinion (among other reasons).

Hmac
02-18-11, 18:39
I've had the PPS 9mm for about 9 months and if I carry, I almost always carry this. It's been a great pistol...totally reliable at the range shooting PMC Bronze. Likewise, no failures of any kind with 115 gr Silvertip. Not crazy about the magazine release, but I don't carry an extra magazine anyway. I found I shot low with it because of the so-called "European sight picture", but Smith&Wesson sent me the shorter "#3" front sight for it for free and now it's dead on.

Mags are $54 each. The rail is Walther proprietary, uses the Streamlight "A" key.

http://SSEquine.net/ppss.jpg

oldtexan
02-18-11, 23:19
...... Have heard of some bad experiences with after market mags for the PPS.

Who makes aftermarket mags for the PPS?

Eliakim
02-19-11, 08:51
Was looking for a slim profile striker fired handgun for ccw. The PPS caught my eye . Some mixed opinions on it though from the reviews I've read. Anyone have any experiences on it they care to share ? Thanks.

I've had a PPS in 9mm for more than a year. It's a great little concealed carry pistol. Its much thinner and less chunky than a Glock 26/27. It feels about half as thick. The PPS disappears in a Crossbreed supertuck

It was originally intrduced in 9mm, perhaps the .40 version was more of an afterthought for the American market. In any case there probably isn't much advantage in going with the .40 PPS rather than a 9mm. :dirol:

Nytcrawler93
02-20-11, 16:25
I am a PPS owner/carrier in 9mm as well. It took 200 rounds to be fired through before it would manually cycle an entire clip. Now that it has been shot a little it is works just like it should. My dad has the exact same model and it has zero issues at all. It is easier to conceal for pocket carry but for a really good holster, I can't feel too much difference between my Glock 26.

texshooter
02-21-11, 13:35
considered it but didnt like the mag release. feels great in your hand though

Magic_Salad0892
02-22-11, 15:32
Good gun in 9x19.

Subcompacts in .40 are super fail, IMO.

C4IGrant
02-22-11, 15:49

Great gun, but would not get one in 40. The majority of all the issues I have heard about with this gun are in the 40 caliber.

C4

Kchen986
02-22-11, 16:18
FWIW, my brother's PPS in .40 S&W that I frequently carry and shoot has been great through about a thousand rounds of both FMJ and JHP. YMMV.

FMJ556
02-23-11, 16:35
I did some more research and the posts about problems about the PPS do seem to tilt towards the .40 cal being the problematic version. I wonder why. The 9mm seems like it would the better deal.

What's a decent price out there for a NIB ? Any Walther dealers to recommend ? Thanks.

fyeguy
02-23-11, 16:59
I carried one for about a year and a half. Total dream to carry, as others have mentioned the slim profile disappears IWB. Mine was plenty accurate and easy to shoot, and I really didn't mind the mag release lever.

I had two major issues with the gun, one was the removable backstrap. The safety features of this pistol make it inoperable if the backstrap is out of position, and apparently a half a millimeter or so of play is enough to engage the locking mechanism. The other issue was the trigger. Terrible and sluggish reset to the point that at times it wouldn't reset fully. Easily fixed by a good cleaning, but not something I wanted to deal with in a pistol that would be collecting sweat and lint on a regular basis.

gtmtnbiker98
02-23-11, 19:43
I did some more research and the posts about problems about the PPS do seem to tilt towards the .40 cal being the problematic version. I wonder why. The 9mm seems like it would the better deal.

What's a decent price out there for a NIB ? Any Walther dealers to recommend ? Thanks.$550-$575 seems to be the better prices and they "typically" go up from there. As for dealers, take your pick.

FMJ556
02-23-11, 19:56
That's interesting. I checked out an HK P7. Very nice and reliable except for the weight factor. But I guess if reliability is paramount, something has to be traded.

I carried one for about a year and a half. Total dream to carry, as others have mentioned the slim profile disappears IWB. Mine was plenty accurate and easy to shoot, and I really didn't mind the mag release lever.

I had two major issues with the gun, one was the removable backstrap. The safety features of this pistol make it inoperable if the backstrap is out of position, and apparently a half a millimeter or so of play is enough to engage the locking mechanism. The other issue was the trigger. Terrible and sluggish reset to the point that at times it wouldn't reset fully. Easily fixed by a good cleaning, but not something I wanted to deal with in a pistol that would be collecting sweat and lint on a regular basis.

C4IGrant
02-24-11, 08:47

What's a decent price out there for a NIB ? Any Walther dealers to recommend ? Thanks.

We are a Walther dealer and have a PPS in 9mm available. We also have extra mags.

Drop us a line if interested.

C4