PDA

View Full Version : VTAC standard or thick padded sling?

pjchang7
02-18-11, 15:21
Getting a new sling for my new build and was wondering which one to get. I previously had a MS2 but the attachment clips seemed a little bulky for me. The sling was ok but seemed like overkill. I like the VTAC slings from what I've seen but don't really know which version to get. I would be attaching it to a QD CTR socket and a Larue Tactical QD rail slot.

AZ-Renegade
02-18-11, 15:32
I have two of the standard slings and one padded and I favor the padded one for comfort.

Depending on how heavy your build turns out, you may want the padded version.

They have an upgraded version of the padded sling on the website:
http://vikingtactics.com/specials.html

They also make a version of the padded sling for LaRue Tactical that may work for you since it comes with QD sling loops:
http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=86

TehLlama
02-18-11, 15:34
It will be easier to trade down from the Padded QD to any other version you might want. Not helpful in comparison, just pragmatically simpler if you don't happen to like the padded one.

That said, my padded slings have worked very well for me, and that's all I use now.

13MPG
02-18-11, 15:55
I have one of each. Before I ordered the padded one I thought it might be to bulky. That is not the case at all, it’s perfect. I don’t think that there is anything wrong with the non-padded one but the padded on does offer more comfort.

Watrdawg
02-18-11, 16:00
I prefer the padded. Why scrimp on comfort.

Hmac
02-18-11, 16:03
After training and a couple of courses with an MS-2, I now have a VTAC and a VCAS, both padded. Not going back.

Bear in mind, this is for use over a shirt and maybe a chest rig, not armor or any such thing. That might changes one's mind regarding padded or not.

ASH556
02-18-11, 16:07
Definitely the padded! Also, look at the new gen VTAC sling. It fixes all the issues with the original (plastic buckles, long tail, lack of padding) Fantastic sling. I have the original that I've used for the last 8 yrs, and this new gen is far better.

pjchang7
02-20-11, 17:16
Thank you for the responses. I had the chance to try out the padded sling at my local gun shop and definitely liked it. They didn't have the standard version but why bother if I already like the padded.

fletch133
03-03-11, 05:38
Padded is much better

OMD
03-03-11, 15:55
Ditto - padded is my pref as well.

RogerinTPA
03-03-11, 18:10
Padded, especially if you plan on taking some formal classes or train a lot on your own.

MrSypher
03-04-11, 00:00
I think almost everyone eventually chooses padded.. At 1st I had a non-padded sling cuz I figured my rifle wasn't heavy so I'm good without it but I remember after doing a bunch of transition drills with that sling, my neck wasn't thinking that & neither was I anymore.. Padded is def the way to go..

Vegas
03-04-11, 00:10
I am about to buy a sling for my first AR and after fondling the VTAC's at my local store, I think I am going to go with a padded version. I know from lugging a camera bag around for hours with an unpadded strap that it gets old when it starts cutting into your shoulder. Not an apples to apples comparison but enough to me make buy padded :)

MrSypher
03-04-11, 00:49
I am about to buy a sling for my first AR and after fondling the VTAC's at my local store, I think I am going to go with a padded version. I know from lugging a camera bag around for hours with an unpadded strap that it gets old when it starts cutting into your shoulder. Not an apples to apples comparison but enough to me make buy padded :)

Hey brother, Nylon is Nylon... :dirol:

knguye11
03-14-11, 01:29
I'd go for a padded. Little mod on mine. bungee cord added on both ends.

http://gallery.me.com/k.nguyen/100030/IMG_5824_2/web.jpg

http://gallery.me.com/k.nguyen/100030/IMG_5826_2/web.jpg

pcf
03-14-11, 01:41
Padded unless you're running the sling attachment points fairly close together and/or if you're really skinny.

If you measure you're current sling and it's less than 32" you probably want the regular sling.

Silvanus
03-14-11, 05:58
I have both and only use the padded one anymore. The unpadded one cut my shoulder too much in long training sessions.

MetalMold
03-14-11, 14:01
I love my padded.

outrider627
03-14-11, 15:28
Padded all the way! I play bass guitar, so I eventually learned that padding really helps the shoulder after a few hours. My bass is just over 9.5 pounds. Back in high school, I used a non padded strap that really started to bother after a while. Once I upgraded to a padded leather strap, I vowed never again to put weight on my shoulder unless I had some sort of padding.

MrSypher
03-16-11, 19:45
Getting a new sling for my new build and was wondering which one to get. I previously had a MS2 but the attachment clips seemed a little bulky for me. The sling was ok but seemed like overkill. I like the VTAC slings from what I've seen but don't really know which version to get. I would be attaching it to a QD CTR socket and a Larue Tactical QD rail slot.

I guess you got that answer you were looking for..