PDA

View Full Version : F/A BCG Question

ca_fireman19
02-18-11, 15:45
Concerning full auto bolt carriers, I noticed some have a full bottoms and some have cut out bottoms. What is the difference? Which are preferred? And what would a Colt "cut out" carrier be worth in used but good condition?

bkb0000
02-18-11, 16:09
if it's cut out on the bottom, it's not a "full auto" carrier. all standard (what you're referring to as "full auto") carriers look identical. if there's any material removed, it's a modified "ar15" carrier- even if it's only just a little material.

ca_fireman19
02-18-11, 16:59
Can you maybe elaborate on what you mean by "modified"? Here are a couple pictures of the BCG I have.

http://i564.photobucket.com/albums/ss83/ladder_19/1c5c6a93.jpg
http://i564.photobucket.com/albums/ss83/ladder_19/b6189df0.jpg

SteveL
02-18-11, 17:24
Have a look at this thread and it may answer your questions.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=14534

ca_fireman19
02-20-11, 00:21
if it's cut out on the bottom, it's not a "full auto" carrier. all standard (what you're referring to as "full auto") carriers look identical. if there's any material removed, it's a modified "ar15" carrier- even if it's only just a little material.

Does this include the "half circle" carrier?

Iraqgunz
02-20-11, 00:37
What exactly do you want to know? The link above shows them and provides a brief explanation. If the carrier is cut up in anyway, it's not a real M16 BCG.

ca_fireman19
02-20-11, 00:42
Well...bkb0000 stated that "if there's any material removed, it's a modified "ar15" carrier"...does that mean it was modified by Colt? Are there any disadvantages to using a "modified" carrier? Am I better off dumping this Colt "half circle" and picking up a BCM full auto carrier?

bkb0000
02-20-11, 00:42

half-circle carriers are extremely modified. typical modified carriers are not half-circles, but do have some material on the underside. sometimes almost as much as stadard carriers, but the understand doesn't come up flush with the top. standard carriers' underside comes all the way up flush with the top... if it doesn't, it's not a standard carrier.

the link posted above does explain all...

bkb0000
02-20-11, 00:44
Well...bkb0000 stated that "if there's any material removed, it's a modified "ar15" carrier"...does that mean it was modified by Colt? Are there any disadvantages to using a "modified" carrier? Am I better off dumping this Colt "half circle" and picking up a BCM full auto carrier?

the colt half-circles are just another retarded sell-out change colt made once upon a time. there's absolutely zero benefit to using them, and they can actually cause timing issues.

i wouldn't necessarily change out a modified carrier, but i would definitely dump a half-circle carrier.

Iraqgunz
02-20-11, 00:48
The reason is simple. There is a belief that by removing the material from the bottom of the carrier it will not be able to contact the automatic sear and thereby prevent someone from converting a weapon to full auto.

Unfortunately those people know little about how the system functions. Foist it on someone who still believes that auto carriers are "illegal".

ca_fireman19
02-20-11, 00:55
The reason is simple. There is a belief that by removing the material from the bottom of the carrier it will not be able to contact the automatic sear and thereby prevent someone from converting a weapon to full auto.

Unfortunately those people know little about how the system functions. Foist it on someone who still believes that auto carriers are "illegal".

I didn't realize there was a debate over the legality of a f/a carrier. It was/is my understanding that only parts essential to the sustained fire mechanism (i.e. Auto sear) were unlawful and universal parts for both f/a and s/a such as bolts, carriers, barrels and receivers (uppers that is) were completely legal to own without permit.

Iraqgunz
02-20-11, 01:02
There are some nutballs in the internut world who believe this. Despite the fact that it has been clarified a hundred times over. They think it is a government conspiracy if you own them.

You have one, get caught by "the man" doing nothing and they try and bust you for possession of a machine gun. You then take a plea bargain and lose all of your gun rights as you are now a felon. :suicide: :rolleyes:

I didn't realize there was a debate over the legality of a f/a carrier. It was/is my understanding that only parts essential to the sustained fire mechanism (i.e. Auto sear) were unlawful and universal parts for both f/a and s/a such as bolts, carriers, barrels and receivers (uppers that is) were completely legal to own without permit.