PDA

View Full Version : Got a G19, get a G17?

SpookyPistolero
02-18-11, 20:45
I've given the M&P a try, and just can't seem to make it work for me. It might work after a trigger job, but I already shoot a G19 much better so there's no point in pursuing a new platform.

I carry the G19, and keep it at my bedside. I have big paws, so the grip doesn't *quite* make it to the end of my palm. All the same, I feel like I have decent control.

It's been a loong time since I shot a G17; does the increased handle length really lend dramatic improvements in control? Is it worth putting the money from the sale of my M&P towards a G17 to use for training, then keep the '19 for carry? How many here use a G19 as their 'primary' when training/etc?

Palmguy
02-18-11, 21:04
"Does the increased handle length really lend dramatic improvements in control?"

In my opinion, no. That said, I have medium sized hands and the G19 fits me just fine.

theJanitor
02-18-11, 21:10
I have a G17 cut down to take 19 mags. to me, it's the best of both worlds. I think the 17 is the best pistol Glock makes, but their 19 is the most concealable.

GermanSynergy
02-18-11, 21:16
Get the Glock 17.

I've got huge hands, and find the 17 a bit more comfortable than my 19's, esp in terms of mag changes.

deeHKman
02-18-11, 21:44
Get the Glock 17.

I've got huge hands, and find the 17 a bit more comfortable than my 19's, esp in terms of mag changes.

I agree me also, nice post , thanks

SpookyPistolero
02-18-11, 21:44
Get the Glock 17.

Do you CCW the 17 or 19?

SWATcop556
02-18-11, 21:55
If the G19 works for you I would get another G19. Use in for training and abuse and the other for social purposes. I only carry a G17 for uniformed duty work. I would say that 90% of the time I'm carrying a G19. The remaining 10% is split between the G17 and G26.

tusk212
02-18-11, 22:40
If the G19 works for you I would get another G19. Use in for training and abuse and the other for social purposes. I only carry a G17 for uniformed duty work. I would say that 90% of the time I'm carrying a G19. The remaining 10% is split between the G17 and G26.

You back to the Glocks?

Back on topic, I have both. I carry the 17 on duty and the 19 off duty. I find the 17 to fit my hand better, but for carry I like the size of the 19. I also have large hands and find the 17 to "fill up" my hand just right.

Timbonez
02-18-11, 22:45
I've given the M&P a try, and just can't seem to make it work for me. It might work after a trigger job, but I already shoot a G19 much better so there's no point in pursuing a new platform.

I carry the G19, and keep it at my bedside. I have big paws, so the grip doesn't *quite* make it to the end of my palm. All the same, I feel like I have decent control.

It's been a loong time since I shot a G17; does the increased handle length really lend dramatic improvements in control? Is it worth putting the money from the sale of my M&P towards a G17 to use for training, then keep the '19 for carry? How many here use a G19 as their 'primary' when training/etc?

I would keep the Glock 19 and purchase a Glock 17. My hands aren't very large (more medium in size, if anything) and I find the Glock 17 grip goes past my hand, making it more comfortable. That being said, the Glock 19 was still comfortable but I had to be careful not to pinch my hand on mag changes.

operator81
02-18-11, 23:03
I prefer the longer grip of the G17. I feel it gives me better control and faster mag changes. I'd say go for it.

skyugo
02-18-11, 23:53
Personally the G19 fits my hands the best. BUT, guys with bigger hands, the G17 is way better.
I don't think the concealability difference between the 17 and 19 is big enough to keep both around. Get a 17 and a 26.

Cesiumsponge
02-19-11, 00:25
The G17/G19 platform is just the right size for my medium hands, and I'm coming from a 1911 with slim grips. I've handled both and like the G19 better so it seems like the G19 fits mediums and the G17 fits paws better.

I'm actually getting a G17 and doing the "grip chop" to get the G19-length grip (and G19 mags) but with the G17 barrel/slide length to retain sight radius and full velocity. For CCW, a longer barrel in an IWB doesn't really bother me (coming from a full sized 1911) but shortening the grip helps to reduce printing and feels better for me. It also allows me to carry a G19 mag onboard and tote G17 spare mags.

SWATcop556
02-19-11, 05:21
You back to the Glocks?

Back on topic, I have both. I carry the 17 on duty and the 19 off duty. I find the 17 to fit my hand better, but for carry I like the size of the 19. I also have large hands and find the 17 to "fill up" my hand just right.

Yeah back to the Glocks. Damn admin can't make up their minds on weapon policy. I don't mind though. Glocks are like old friends to me.

kjdoski
02-19-11, 07:47
I think you're splitting hairs, personally, unless your hands are VERY large and you simply can't get a good grip on the G19.

I and my team mates carry and train with the G19 exclusively - to the total of probably 5-8K rounds of training ammunition/pistol/year with no reliability issues that aren't shooter-induced...

In your position, I think you'd be better served going one of two directions: a G26 for deep concealment/backup or a G34 for range/competition work.

Regards,

Kevin

SPM14430
02-19-11, 08:03
I think you should try shooting the full sized G17 first, and then decide. It's a personal choice and what works for someone else may not necessarily work for you.

I carry a G19 service and off-duty G26. Oddly enough, I shoot better with the G26 at range qualification and feel like I have better weapon control even though the grip is shorter.

JHC
02-19-11, 08:44
I think you're splitting hairs, personally, unless your hands are VERY large and you simply can't get a good grip on the G19.

I and my team mates carry and train with the G19 exclusively - to the total of probably 5-8K rounds of training ammunition/pistol/year with no reliability issues that aren't shooter-induced...

In your position, I think you'd be better served going one of two directions: a G26 for deep concealment/backup or a G34 for range/competition work.

Regards,

Kevin

+1 to considering this. Conventional wisdom has IMO gotten carried to an invalid extreme around "beware the man with one gun" blah blah blah. I've not yet met a dialed in shooter with one gun. Or just one model of gun. One "platform" and I'm listening. The crossover between the 26, 19, 17 is so large you'll be training all every time you train with either.

For that matter, I highly doubt Kevin's team suffers any at all for changing between G23s and G19s either. If you shoot much, it's not that freakin big a deal.

JonInWA
02-19-11, 08:58
I have both (and a G21 and a G34). I do well with both. I've found that generally I'm a tad faster and index a tad more naturally with the G19.

Interestingly, while my IDPA scores with my G19 are consistantly better with the G19, my best GSSF score with any of my Glocks was with the G17.

All of my Glocks are Gen 3; I suspect that the differentiations between grips will be significantly narrowed if you look at the Gen4s (although my Gen 3s are going nowhere).

I like having the option of having both the G17 and the G19. But there's also a lot to be said for just having 2 of the same gun.

Or-get a G34, and a G17 upper; they share the same receiver and magazines...

Best, Jon

SpookyPistolero
02-19-11, 11:00
Thanks for the thoughtful replies, folks. I may try to rent a '17 to see if it's as I remember. Almost certainly will be selling the M&P in order to get onto a single platform, however. But hell, I just saw used gen2 g19s with night sights at the shop for $400, so I may come home with both the 17 and a second 19!

Fuzzy-Reticle
02-19-11, 12:00
Try the pierce magazine extenders. I use them on my g26 to get my pinky a place to rest. They are cheap and work pretty well. Id try that first before spending the bucks on a new pistol.

JSGlock34
02-19-11, 12:48

I agree - when I decided to add a second Glock 9mm to compliment my 19, I went with the 34 for competition use. It is by far the most fun pistol in my safe to shoot, but I find the G19 much more practical.

Cesiumsponge
02-19-11, 13:05
Brand new G19s are $425 with GSSF discount (used to be $398 with their old system). If you find the services of a one-year GSSF membership beneficial, it's worth the $35 for the "one a year discount" which gives you a pricing similar/same as LE discount. I'd double-check to see if the local dealer(s) participate in the GSSF program first though.

Thanks for the thoughtful replies, folks. I may try to rent a '17 to see if it's as I remember. Almost certainly will be selling the M&P in order to get onto a single platform, however. But hell, I just saw used gen2 g19s with night sights at the shop for $400, so I may come home with both the 17 and a second 19!

Magic_Salad0892
02-19-11, 18:57
Big hands?

Get a few G17s.

Dobie
02-19-11, 19:01
My G19 & G26 mag changes are only with G17 mags. Conceal with the 19 mag and after the shtf its 17 mags. I carry a 26 and my back up mag is a G17 mag. If you have to reload concealment is out the window.

13MPG
02-20-11, 01:20
I agree with the rest the guys who said to buy the G17. I have one of each and carry both of them. My G19 might get a little bit more carry time but not much. On the other hand the guys who suggested the G26 raise a valid point. While I don’t find a G19 or G17 hard to conceal with the right holster a G26 just disappears and is a great carry gun without giving much up as far as magazine capacity.

Beat Trash
02-20-11, 16:10
Thanks for the thoughtful replies, folks. I may try to rent a '17 to see if it's as I remember.

This is the best thing you could do. All the advice given so far is good, but only you can tell what feels good in your hands.

Either another Glock 19 or a Glock 17, good reasons for each. But it's hard to go wrong with either one.