PDA

View Full Version : Bugging in, choosing your location

HES
02-18-11, 22:31
In all the discussions and books I have read I have come to the conclusion that it may be best to bug in if at all possible. So I look at where I live. 1/2 acre in a sub division about 25 miles from a down town core. Sure it would do for a week after a hurricane strike but that would be it. I wonder how many of us are in a similar situation or who are possible in a more remote / secure location. Realizing that my current residence is not ideal how did you find your location that you are satisfied with? Didi you find that it limited your economic opportunities? Are you set for potable water? Energy conservation and production?

Paraclete comes
02-19-11, 14:28
we purchased a home twenty minues from the edge of town. We got a good well that you can pump by hand if need be, we also have a farm irrigation canal on our property and a few acres. We have a few hundred trees most of which gorw fuit and several veggies and a few dozen rows of grapes. Not ideal but seems like a good choice since we still work in the city. would really love to have in place some solar panels as you mentioned for energy collection. but we currently can run grind power, propane and in a pinch have the pto on the tractor. I would not mind the miller welder generator combo that my father inlaw just got, good piece of gear.

500grains
02-19-11, 20:58
We are in a similar situation but at high altitude with a fabulous year round spring. The problem is not bugging in, because we could do that for a minimum of a year, probably 2. The real problem is trying to defend the neighborhood from the inevitable wanderers.

Don Robison
02-19-11, 21:31
We chose our home with this in mind. It's 3 acres outside of all established evacuation zones, 20 minutes from town, and has a 27,000 gallon water reserve in the back yard. We have a river within easy hiking distance, plenty of critters in the area to eat if need be and strangers stick out like sore thumbs. You don't just happen to be in the area because there is nothing here and it's off the beaten path.