PDA

View Full Version : Question about stock weight

claricSTi
02-19-11, 11:49
I recently just received an upper that I've been waiting on. It is a Daniel Defense 16" LW Midlength with DD 14.0 lite rail.

I am going to put the LPK in tomorrow and am still having trouble deciding which stock to go with. Ultimately, I would like to go with the new M16A5 but have decided against it for now due to funds. Mainly because I am still in need of sights/BCG/CH/ and mags. I am not overly concerned about the weight but mainly just want the rifle to be well balanced. I've been pondering the $69 Moe stock set from DSG just to get me rolling. I figured it would be a better option than a standard M4 stock. The only thing that concerns me is that I don't want the rifle to be too front heavy. Any body else running a long rail with a lighter stock?
There's always the option of the original modstocks that BCM has on sale as well. What do you folks think? Would these lighter stocks make the rifle unbalanced or will I be alright?

Regardless, I will be getting a different stock later down the road. I had been planning this set up to be a long railed midlength with a lower power scope like an ACOG. I'll probably just shoot it with irons until I get my taxes back and can start worrying about optics then.

A few crappy cellphone pics of never hurt

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v374/claricae86/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_0277.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v374/claricae86/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_0278.jpg

shootist~
02-19-11, 14:04
You will still need the extension tube, buffer (probably an H), and spring. Getting the full A5 conversion should only be ~$125 or so more than something you plan to replace later. The BCM basic M4 stock kit (+ H buffer upgrade) will get you to the dance for ~$100 however.

I just put the A5 kit on a DD lower that's dedicated to a DD 14.5" LW upper with 11" Troy TRX. (The 14.5" is at Rainer right now for a pin/weld job on a brake.) The A5 kit is a nice set-up and should balance your upper well.

The complete lower /w the Vltor A5, weighs 4 oz less than a similar lower with a Magpul UBR (no doors) and H buffer.

Since the irons are for backup, it would make sense (to me) to put that money back until you can get your primary. For about 1/2 the price of an ACOG, consider a good mid priced 1-4 variable, of which there are several. (My fav is the Vortex PST 1-4.)

claricSTi
02-19-11, 14:27
I've actually been looking at the vortex. This is my first AR so I want to start off with irons and get use to the platform before moving to optics. This will be my primary go-to rifle and I need to be confident in my ability to shoot it without optics. I may take your advice and save some of that money back for later, though I'd really like some troys. Honestly, I don't want to wait much longer before shooting it. If I went optic first then it would be a little while before hitting the range. I'm just anxious to get out there.

I may cave and go with the A5 set up but would like to see how it felt with a MOE on there. For the price I don't see any reason to even look at basic M4 stocks. I believe I saw where rob posted about how he likes the m4 stock but due to price it's hard not to opt for the Magpul.

My whole "learning the platform" idea may be odd but I feel that I need to shoot the gun with a basic charging handle, buffer, trigger, and sights before switching to other things (stock would be the exception here). I'd like to actually see and feel the difference in the purchases I make. Luckily the gun community here in OK is very strong and selling parts is pretty painless, so anything I don't need down the line will be sold or traded.

strambo
02-19-11, 15:20
I see no reason to "learn the gun" as far as standard CH and buffer go. Use the best buffer for that set up (probably an H...) and I see no reason not to just get a BCM Gunfighter Mod 4 CH from the get go. You don't learn anything with a smaller latch and weaker design...you can still manipulate it the same way.

I think for your first, and main rifle, save some $ and go with the A5 and Troys from the start...

I do agree, no need for a spendy trigger or an optic at this point.

The A5 would probably balance about perfect on that rifle, look great and be very functional. I have a MOE on a 14.5" LW middy with 12FSPM rail that balances well, but you have a little more weight hangin' out there. I also have a VLTOR E-Mod on another (heavier) rifle, they are very nice stocks.

claricSTi
02-19-11, 19:51
I think your right on the ch and buffer. Theres not a huge price increase to get those items either. I will definitely go ahead and opt for the troys but will probably have to wait on the stock. The troys and stock alone would be $425 plus shipping. I can get the troys, moe set, bcc and ch for around $440. Just numbers wise it's hard not to lean towards the second option.

opmike
02-19-11, 22:43
I prefer slightly heavier stocks on long railed rifles, as I prefer to shift the center of gravity a bit.

The VLTOR E-MOD is my current stock of choice, and locks up pretty solidly on my receiver extension. Great cheek-weld, as well. I have no complaints.