PDA

View Full Version : Do you carry a Gun or a Hammer?

BCmJUnKie
02-19-11, 11:51
Okay so I am curious to how many other people think or do this, Do you carry chambered or are you just carrying a really cool looking hammer to hit someone with. I carry an XD in .40. Daily carry. As everyone knows it DAO. How many of you guys carry with one in the pipe, Safty or NOT on safe, DAO? There are times when Im at home and I take it out of battery, slide locked back with the magazine next to it. So just tryin to find out IF anyone does or if its appropriate for time and place...

LMTRocks
02-19-11, 11:53
CCW--XD9 4" with 17 Gold Dots in 124+p
You know the magazine only holds 16.

Magsz
02-19-11, 11:55
Okay so I am curious to how many other people think or do this, Do you carry chambered or are you just carrying a really cool looking hammer to hit someone with. I carry an XD in .40. Daily carry. As everyone knows it DAO. How many of you guys carry with one in the pipe, Safty or NOT on safe, DAO? There are times when Im at home and I take it out of battery, slide locked back with the magazine next to it. So just tryin to find out IF anyone does or if its appropriate for time and place...

Im not really sure i understand the question.

Pistols are inanimate objects. If you do not press the trigger the gun will not go off. When i am out and about my pistol is always loaded and ready to roll if it is in a holster on my person. There is no possibility i am going to be able to israelie my assailant and chamber a round. Condition 3 in my eyes is an absolute, utter, no no.

BCmJUnKie
02-19-11, 11:58
Im not really sure i understand the question.

Pistols are inanimate objects. If you do not press the trigger the gun will not go off. When i am out and about my pistol is always loaded and ready to roll if it is in a holster on my person. There is no possibility i am going to be able to israelie my assailant and chamber a round. Condition 3 in my eyes is an absolute, utter, no no.

Sorry, Do you carry your pistol LOADED? Cocked and ready? Or should the situation arise, you would have to rack it under stress. To me if you dont carry CHAMBERED then you are only carrying a hammer lol

Quiet-Matt
02-19-11, 12:34
I carry my glock chambered. Otherwise whats the point? We had a friend who refused to chamber a round in his carry gun because he felt that he could rack the slide and be ready to go if need be. Two of us had him "demonstrate" his speed with a cleared pistol. A third friend charged him complete with yelling. The friend with the gun managed to draw his gun but failed to grasp the slide completely as he went to rack the slide. This motion caused a fumble of the pistol and it landed about 18" in front of the "attacker". Instant convert as you might imagine, he now carries his pistol chambered just like the rest of us.;)

BCmJUnKie
02-19-11, 12:51
Thats exactly what Im talking about. Very good. I Hear friend sof mine saying the exact same thing on a regular basis, "Oh im fast enough i can rack it". lol under stress is a whole different story

Heidevolk
02-19-11, 13:02
I think you're going to find most people on here carry hot.

This isn't THR/Glocktalk (and hopefully it stays that way).

BCmJUnKie
02-19-11, 13:06
I think you're going to find most people on here carry hot.

This isn't THR/Glocktalk (and hopefully it stays that way).

I really hope so...for the sake of all of you guys and your families protection. But on the other hand I dont like to assume, thats why I ask. I personally know LEO that dont carry chambered...if at ALL off duty.

Cesiumsponge
02-19-11, 13:08
I carry my 1911 in "condition one", chambered, cocked hammer and thumb safety on. It's not very useful otherwise. In training courses I've done, I've never even come across casual discussions about carrying unchambered. Is this an attitude which is commonplace that I'm simply unaware of?

"Hang on bad guy, let me rack the slide. Perhaps the sound will cause you to reconsider! I hear it works with the Remington 870!" *fumbles*

Seraph
02-19-11, 13:09
Thats exactly what Im talking about. Very good. I Hear friend sof mine saying the exact same thing on a regular basis, "Oh im fast enough i can rack it". lol under stress is a whole different story

Ask your friend if he can rack the slide while his left hand is incapacitated, fending off a close quarters attacker, or holding on to a ladder. If you're not going to carry your sidearm loaded, you'd be better off carrying a hammer, if you can find a good holster for it.

Cesiumsponge
02-19-11, 13:13
I think a vast majority of folks practice at the range assume confrontation will always begin at 7 yards in a static stance. The mental mindset that goes along with the physical skills aren't elaborated upon. While we're lucky enough to have these forums for sharing experience, education, and ideas, we're a very, very small demographic. There are what...300+ million firearms in the US and an estimated 50-100 million gun owners? There might be 50-100,000 folks that participate in all firearms forums. That's still a statistically minute slice of the gun-owning public.

There usually aren't a lot of opportunities outside of training courses where you can draw from the holster, point shoot, shoot from the hip, or do hands-on training in retention or practice combatives which escalates to firearms. Most public ranges frown on that type of stuff (perhaps with the exception of private ranges or if you've got a membership)

BCmJUnKie
02-19-11, 13:18
Ask your friend if he can rack the slide while his left hand is incapacitated, fending off a close quarters attacker, or holding on to a ladder. If you're not going to carry your sidearm loaded, you'd be better off carrying a hammer, if you can find a good holster for it.

Lol nice. Im sure some people can rack the slide while doing a backflip dive after they throw the gun into the air and catch it on the new magazine right before hitting the 8 badguys. I already carry hot everyday. Im from Fla. and have BEEN through home invasion, my gun was loaded....in my bedroom 20 feet away. That was a wake up call for me, I carry chambered everyday since, that was 3 years ago

ygbsm
02-19-11, 13:26
Honestly? To condemn a method of carry required in certain places of the world such as military bases and used heavily in others (not just Israel) shows a definite lack of maturity and mental flexibility.

Everyone like to talk shit, but if you have kids constantly crawling around you, is a hot Glock the best way to work it? Racking the slide to chamber a round is a step in the use-of-force continuum. Yeah, it adds a step in the process and when it comes down to it that shits on you but it is still a tool to use.

However, if you work at it who the hell cares how you carry your gun?

Do the work and it doesn't add that much time to the drawstroke.

And I can guarantee you I can draw chamber a round and burn you down before most people clear leather.

BCmJUnKie
02-19-11, 13:31
Honestly? To condemn a method of carry required in certain places of the world such as military bases and used heavily in others (not just Israel) shows a definite lack of maturity and mental flexibility.

Everyone like to talk shit, but if you have kids constantly crawling around you, is a hot Glock the best way to work it? Racking the slide to chamber a round is a step in the use-of-force continuum. Yeah, it adds a step in the process and when it comes down to it that shits on you but it is still a tool to use.

And I can guarantee you I can draw chamber a round and burn you down before most people clear leather.

Im not really sure what youre upset about...no one talkin shit here. And why you wanna draw down an "burn" me anyway?

Magsz
02-19-11, 13:39

You question the maturity and wisdom of some comments in this thread yet thump your chest with two testosterone laden fists while extolling your ability to "burn your enemies down"?

Erm...

Im in my late 20's and in this day and age professionalism amongst my peers, ie the handshake is all but gone. You're either being groped, bear hugged to death or fondled. I carry appendix to avoid the issues of people potentially grasping my firearm. This concept is no different than having a five year old crawling around on you and does not prevent me from carrying a round in the chamber.

As far as having loaded firearms that are NOT in a holster and safely secured lying around, well, thats just irresponsible and has very little to do with the original discussion despite the OP's comments about keeping a slide locked pistol and loaded magazine at the ready in his own home.

The bottom line here as i see it and many others is that if you've trained, understand how a firearm works and carry in appropriate gear you stand to lose NOTHING by carrying with a round in the chamber whereas you stand to lose EVERYTHING in the time it takes to rack a round and fire on your attacker.

nar472
02-19-11, 13:45
"Hang on bad guy, let me rack the slide. Perhaps the sound will cause you to reconsider! I hear it works with the Remington 870!" *fumbles*[/QUOTE]

:lol:

ShipWreck
02-19-11, 13:52
Beretta 92FS concealed... Hammer down, safety off and 1 in the chamber

I don't see any point in carrying with the chamber unloaded...

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/Carrygear2.jpg

CaptainDooley
02-19-11, 14:01
Maybe I'm confused... you do understand how a holster works, right? I carry at all times when I'm not asleep (M&P9 with one in the chamber) and have never had any issue at all playing with my kids in any capacity.

Everyone like to talk shit, but if you have kids constantly crawling around you, is a hot Glock the best way to work it?

rathos
02-19-11, 14:07
This is like saying revolvers are better because Jerry Miculek can reload them faster then you can load an auto.

You might be able to draw and chamber faster then some can clear leather, but if you had already chambered a round you would be that much faster.

If you have to leave a round unchambered (military base or other situation) that is one thing, but honestly how many of those guys would rather be trusted to carry chambered?

The point most are saying is why handicap yourself? Gun fights are not static. You never know what is going to happen.

cbr
02-19-11, 14:21
I carry my handguns with a loaded magazine and a round in the chamber. Any other way is stupid. :suicide:

mkmckinley
02-19-11, 14:24

I'm not sure what your background is or what training you've had but I've never seen chambering a round included in any use of force continuum. Is that on the books in GA?

You're entitled to your opinion but not all opinions are of equal value. I've never heard of a trainer or anyone who has carried a weapon professionally suggest that carrying without a chambered round is reasonable. It's either in a holster in which case it's safe with a chambered round or it's drawn and ready to fire. There doesn't need to be an "extra safe " condition and an in-between step. It's just a big opportunity for something to go wrong. You might not be able to use both hands. When it's time to draw your weapon you're already behind the power curve. At that point you're likely playing catch up and you only have a second or two to draw and put rounds on target. If you're afraid of some kid managing to draw your weapon you might want to get a holster with adjustable retention that you can tighten down; imagine wresting around on the ground with some guy holding a knife.

BH375
02-19-11, 14:27
I carry my glock chambered. Otherwise whats the point? We had a friend who refused to chamber a round in his carry gun because he felt that he could rack the slide and be ready to go if need be. Two of us had him "demonstrate" his speed with a cleared pistol. A third friend charged him complete with yelling. The friend with the gun managed to draw his gun but failed to grasp the slide completely as he went to rack the slide. This motion caused a fumble of the pistol and it landed about 18" in front of the "attacker". Instant convert as you might imagine, he now carries his pistol chambered just like the rest of us.;)

I really see no problem with either choice, as long as you make it for the right reasons (for you) and with the right information and preparation (physical and mental). I've carried both ways, professionally, and have been comfortable with both ways because it was always a deliberate choice and one that I was prepared for. That's really the most important thing.

The example that Quiet Matt provided (quoted above) is a good example of what I'm talking about. Given just the information provided (and with no intent to malign anyone), I'd argue that the friend in this case SHOULD HAVE been carrying his weapon without a round chambered. Although, admittedly, none of us can know for sure what MIGHT have happened in a real threat scenario, I'd argue that if a shooter is going to fumble the weapon under pseudo-stress with no round chambered, then he's just as likely (or more likely) to fire a round into the floor ("spall, anyone?") or to fire an errant shot IF he had a round chambered. The performance in the case that Quiet Matt cites speaks to a lack of proficiency (physical preparation) and an inadequate mindset (mental preparation) to actually deal with the situation that carrying was supposed to prepare his friend for.

superstratjunky
02-19-11, 15:11
I think that if you are going to take on the responsibility of carrying, you need to have the mental attitude to be able to take a life. Practice isn't going to tell you weather or not you are going to be able to pull the trigger. Now if you don't have this problem, then you move on to training. Training is all about learning to reduce the time it takes to put the weapon into use. If you move on to training before you have made the conscience decision to carry, that leaves the door open to indecisiveness. No mater how you decide to carry, you need to have the thought process that you will pull the trigger without thought. In other words, if your not comfortable, your not safe. Now if you have a situation where you don't have use of both hands & you've trained yourself to chamber a round, then what? Now you have a hammer in a gunfight & you may possibly have your family with you. Just saying.

John_Wayne777
02-19-11, 15:16

...which might be useful if you were ever in a high-noon street showdown.

In the real world people tend to be prompted to pull a firearm because at the moment they reach for it they are already under attack. One's perspective about how big a deal extra time added to getting one's weapon into action tends to be impacted significantly with incoming fire.

SpookyPistolero
02-19-11, 15:18
This is one of the silliest threads I've seen on this site. :confused:

WillBrink
02-19-11, 15:37
Sorry, Do you carry your pistol LOADED?

Is that a serious question? Have you ever read, spoken to, trained with, etc a single BTDT type who recommends not carrying that gun in its optimal configuration for fastest presentation under life and death situations? Me either...

John_Wayne777
02-19-11, 15:41
This is one of the silliest threads I've seen on this site. :confused:

Agreed. A rational discussion of the merits/drawbacks of carrying a round in the chamber versus not carrying one could take place. It would be heavily lopsided in favor of carrying with a chambered round, but a civil discussion could happen.

Unfortunately the original post didn't set the tone for that sort of discussion and folks feeling the need to relate their ability to "burn" somebody "down" didn't help it get any better.

This thread just doesn't live up to the standard for discussion that we expect on M4C.