PDA

View Full Version : Non-optics users... What fixed sight?

TedG
02-19-11, 14:55
For those not using optics, what are you using for a fixed rear sight? Please let me know the type, brand, and how well you like it. I'm thinking more along the lines of D.D. or M.I. fixed sight rather than folding BUIS-types.

Thanks.

Bourneshooter
02-19-11, 15:09
I use the DD Fixed front on my SBR with a folding Troy Rear. Saving for a T-1 in the meantime though I'll just keep using the irons. I have no complaints with the DD fixed sight though. Its very sleek.

Toyoland66
02-19-11, 15:13
Other fixed sights:

Troy
LMT
Larue

I havent used any of them personally, but I like the price/ features of the troy

rojocorsa
02-19-11, 17:01
I can't really say anything about this, but the Troy rear folding battle sight seems attractive and I will most likely get one. I was able to see one in the wild at the local range last week and the gentlemen whose it belong to let me check it out (I did not shoot though).

I was surprised at how small the rear unit is in real life. (He had the front one too, but I ignored it because I want a fixed FS on my future build). The rear unit folded down seemed very compact--very skinny too.

The other sight I've seen that is really popular in the Magpul MBUS, but I didn't really like it. I'd rather have a metal sight, like the Troy.

TedG
02-19-11, 17:26
I have a Troy folding sight as a back up for an H1. On another rifle, I want a fixed sight set up that is solid, withOUT a folding mechanism.

....just wondered if anyone has any experience.

fivefivesix
02-19-11, 17:38
ive used a dd a1.5, i recently switched to a colt carry handle

Jsaleen
02-19-11, 19:21
I use the LMT fixed rear sight and I love it. You still have plenty of room up front if you eventually want a optic of some kind.

TheBelly
02-19-11, 19:46
If I were to use iron sights as my primary, I'd use a carrying handle. That being said, my current AR has a FSB and a Yankee Hill Machine folding rear. It locks in the 'up' position, has both small and O2 apertures, and closely resembles the "feel" of a carrying handle. I can get good combat accuracy out of it.

Evil Bert
02-19-11, 20:00
Well you have two major types of fixed sites. You have the A2 type like the Daniel Defense A1.5 (https://danieldefense.com/components-parts/upper-half/sights/a1-5-fixed-rear-sight.html) or a LaRue Tactical (http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=29) and then you have the Diopter type like Centurion Diopter C4 (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Centurion-Diopter-C4-Iron-Sights-Set-p/centurion%20diopter%20c4%20iron%20set.htm) as examples.

Of course those are just rear sights, you can find matching front fixed sights as well.

jpr8771
02-19-11, 20:36
newbie here...wednsday i am expecting my bmc upper to be in and the only thing i couldnt order from bravo company is the rear sight...i want to go cheap so ive decided on the mbus....they were sold out...i need to order up real quick so i can have it in with the upper and be ready to shoot that day.

i dont want to highjack the thread and i didnt want to start another one because im sure my question has been asked before but i just cant find it. so just a quick answer from someone knowledgeable will suffice

question is...will the magpul mbus rear sight work with my fixed front sight marked F...ive ready enought to know that it is higher than normal...just dont want to order and it not work...thanks

cop1211
02-19-11, 21:22
Larue same plane.

mhanna91
02-19-11, 21:24
If I were planning to run irons exclusively, I would rock a Colt carry handle.

theblackknight
02-19-11, 21:25
I cut my carry handle off

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a56/mxer1/IMG_20100913_192214.jpg

TOMTOM
02-19-11, 21:28
I sold off one of my aimpoint micros, and am now running just the Daniel Defense 1.5. Its lightweight and only takes up a minimal amount of rail space, perfect for my application.

Sanpete
02-19-11, 21:53
LMT or Larue. I don't care for the Daniel Defense.

hunter123
02-19-11, 22:00
I use a colt carry handle and an MI flip up rear sight.

JohnnyC
02-20-11, 00:56
For fixed, the DD A1.5. Simple, bombproof, as straightforward as it gets. For folding I like the KAC's, both 300m and 200-600m. I shoot well with them, they're durable, they're low profile. I've tried the Troy's and the YHM's and the KAC's are my choice every time.

Evil Bert
02-20-11, 06:25
Snip...

question is...will the magpul mbus rear sight work with my fixed front sight marked F...ive ready enought to know that it is higher than normal...just dont want to order and it not work...thanks

Yes, MBUS would be fine. Even if it wasn't an "F" mark FSB, you could still use it.

AMMOTECH
02-20-11, 08:55
BCM 14.5 M4 upper with Aimpoint and Larue BUIS.

Most of the time I shoot with the Aimpoint but I try to run 10-15 rounds with it off just using the irons on each range trip.

deuce9166
02-20-11, 10:02
I really like the LaRue. I used to use LMT and still have several, but the LaRue seems lighter and really like the quick release mount in case I want to run a magnified optic.

DaBigBR
02-20-11, 13:51
I also like the DD A1.5, best of both worlds with A1 adjustments and A2 apertures.

markm
02-20-11, 14:01
+1 on the FULL CARRY HANDLE or just an A2 upper receiver.

I'd GUESS that the full carry handle helps stiffen up the upper and reduce upper receiver flex. If you don't have anything else on the upper receiver it makes ZERO sense to me to not run the full handle.

dconline
02-20-11, 14:10
Rock River Arms stand alone rear sight.

Jimbo45
02-20-11, 14:21
+1 on the FULL CARRY HANDLE or just an A2 upper receiver.

I'd GUESS that the full carry handle helps stiffen up the upper and reduce upper receiver flex. If you don't have anything else on the upper receiver it makes ZERO sense to me to not run the full handle.

I do see your point, but there is one, well, maybe two, reasons to not run a carry handle.....weight being one. THOSE THINGS ARE HEAVY! I do run a handle on one of my carbines, and I also have a 20" A2, but my other flat top guns, where weight is a concern, I use DD A1.5's. Besides, I always kind of prefer A1 sights. There really is no need for the elevation dial of the A2 (for me, and probably 99% of other users), and its presence only adds to mechanical play in the sight system.

GeorgiaBoy
02-20-11, 15:49
Daniel Defense A1.5

masakari
02-20-11, 16:45
The larue same plane is perfection in a fixed iron sight. I highly recommend that over the DD mainly because I have heard reports of the DD peep wobbling in the frame. However, if this is a problem that has been remedied, they are both excellent rear sights. The LaRue adjusts via a coin and is QD, the DD adjusts via a bullet tip and screws on.

TedG
02-20-11, 21:16
The D.D. seems to have gotten the most response, and that's what I've installed on the rifle. Thanks for the input. :dance3:

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i90/TedG954/IMG_4533.jpg

Guns-up.50
02-20-11, 21:47
Take it for what its worth but i run DD both front and back. I do like the troy folding sights but i dont see a need for folding sights on my rifle. I will never need them down no scopes on my gun. I do run an aimpoint which my DD is in the bottom third. This set-up works for me i just dont like to many springs and buttons. Im not shooting super long rangs so I dont need an elevation screw either all in all the DD works great for my uses, hope this helps

Justin

TedG
02-20-11, 22:09
Take it for what its worth but i run DD both front and back. I do like the troy folding sights but i dont see a need for folding sights on my rifle. I will never need them down no scopes on my gun. I do run an aimpoint which my DD is in the bottom third. This set-up works for me i just dont like to many springs and buttons. Im not shooting super long rangs so I dont need an elevation screw either all in all the DD works great for my uses, hope this helps

Justin

You've stated my case exactly. I wanted to avoid knobs and buttons and hinges.

Aegis
02-21-11, 10:00
Since you want to avoid "knobs, buttons, and hinges" I'd go with the Troy fixed front and rear sights.

I put a set on my BCM mid-length with Vtac rail and am real happy with their quality and performance.

One of the deciding factors was a low profile attachment to the receiver, there's nothing that can (and will in my experience) get snagged on kit, etc.

variablebinary
02-21-11, 10:14
If I had zero intention of running an optic, I would get an A2 an call it a day, rolling Black Hawk Down style like this build in the pic (Not mine)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v729/zodtgr8/100_6906.jpg

If there was a chance I would want an optic, than LMT rear or Colt carry handle.

outrider627
02-21-11, 15:45
The D.D. seems to have gotten the most response, and that's what I've installed on the rifle. Thanks for the input. :dance3:

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i90/TedG954/IMG_4533.jpg

Nice! Just need to add some ladder covers for the upper and you'll be good! How are those A2 handguards? I never like the ones that came with my middy, so I replaced them with Magpul MOEs. I think that would really complete your rifle.