PDA

View Full Version : In search of a subcompact

dvdlpzus
02-19-11, 18:38
I am in search of a subcompact and would like you guys opinion of them. Which do you carry and why? Which are good options? Thank you for all your input.

F-Trooper05
02-19-11, 19:42
I carry a P2000SK because I'm an HK snob, but I also own a G26 and it carries equally well. I find the Glock to be quite a bit less comfortable to shoot because its grip is so short and fat, but the trigger is tough to beat. The only mod I've made to the SK is I added an HK45C mag release, and that makes it one of the sweetest subcompacts on the market IMHO.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k40/millert12005/Guns/DSCN0050.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k40/millert12005/Guns/DSCN0051.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k40/millert12005/DSCN0124.jpg

willowofwisp
02-19-11, 20:16
The glock 26 is a pretty awesome carry gun, I got just over 2k rounds through mine with no issues, just swap out the stock sights.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1325/5146589168_2b9ee0eb8c.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5164/5280432255_44e9b22057.jpg

skyugo
02-19-11, 20:40
g26 and hk p7 are my little guns of choice.

Seraph
02-19-11, 20:44
It's not for me, but the M&P 9C I just bought my wife for our anniversary (which falls on Valentine's Day) is really nice.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g111/Trisagion/Valentines%20Day/ValentinesDay_web_02.jpg

kmrtnsn
02-19-11, 20:47
I carry a P2000SK in .40S&W, my wife has a S&W M&P9C in 9mm that she really likes and a G27. If you're going .40, go HK if you are going 9mm the 9C or the G26 are great options.

mhanna91
02-19-11, 20:47
I am looking heavily into getting an M&P9c because it is the same size as a G26 as far as concealment is concerned, and carries 2 additional rounds in the factory mag than a G26. The fact that I also carry an M&P9fs plays into this decision as well.

stifled
02-19-11, 20:50
I'd suggest an M&P compact or a subcompact Glock in whatever caliber tickles your fancy. I currently carry a Glock 26 regularly, but am waiting on an M&P40c, primarily because they fit my hands a bit better.

SWATcop556
02-19-11, 20:58
I am in search of a subcompact and would like you guys opinion of them. Which do you carry and why? Which are good options? Thank you for all your input.

What are you using for a full size handgun?

ImBroke
02-19-11, 21:02
My choice is the G26. It's pocket-able if that mode of carry becomes necessary, and it takes the full size magazines for reloads.

Drew78
02-19-11, 21:07
EDC=Glock 26

It works very well for me...

Drew

kjdoski
02-19-11, 21:38
When it comes to "subcompacts," I class them into three categories - backups, pocket guns, and mouse guns. For me, a backup is a small, light FIGHTING pistol that compliments your primary, either as a second pistol on your person, or as a smaller version of your primary for deep concealment applications. Pocket guns are, simply, guns that you can carry easily in the pocket of most slacks or shorts. Mouse guns are guns you carry "when you can't carry a gun," and typically are very small, very light, and in questionable calibers.

FOR ME, I wouldn't consider carrying anything under "backup" size as a primary defensive pistol. Again, FOR ME, I consider the following to be "backup" sized guns: G26/27/33, M&Pc's in 9/40/357, HK P2000sk's, etc. Any of the above will do, and, FOR ME, the logical step is to obtain a backup that's a miniature version of your daily carry "primary," or at least a VERY similar design/action. My choice is the G26, which allows me to carry a G19 +2 magazine on the belt as a reload.

When we start talking about pocket guns, you're in the realm of the J-frame and similar sized "snubbies," Kahrs, Ruger's new LC9 (though it's on the largish side for pocket carry), Kel-Tec's PF9, the Rorbaugh, and similar. In this category, the Kahr PM9 is my choice - offering excellent sights, decent trigger, decent capacity, decent caliber, and well above average (for this class of pistols) accuracy. If the PM9 dropped off my list of authorized carry guns, I'd probably look for a S&W 340 M&P - which I consider pretty darned close to the pinnacle of snub nose revolver development.

Mouse guns come from a HUGE number of manufacturers, in every caliber you can think of up to and including .380 ACP. The top three contenders in this category, IMHO, are the S&W Bodyguard, the Ruger LCP, and the Kel-tec P3AT. For my money, even as a "running shorts" gun, I wouldn't trust my life to anything under .380 ACP, though there are LOTS of folks out there who swear by their .32s (especially in Kel-tec). Of the three .380s I listed, the Bodyguard has the best sights and trigger, and comes with an integral laser, but you pay the price in size and weight, it's really only fractionally smaller than the PM9. The P3AT and LCP will actually conceal fairly well in the front pocket of your jeans, which is saying something. I've never owned an LCP, so I can't really comment on it, though it seems like they're still back and forth on "new gun" teething issues with it. The P3AT, on the other hand, I've owned two - the first was a POS that wouldn't feed ball reliably, and which shot groups in the 12-24" range at 7 yards - despite repeated trips back to the factory. The second one I owned was reliable with everything EXCEPT Corbon JHP, and was "coke can" accurate out to about 10 yards - which is WAY more than can reasonably be expected, IMHO, from a pistol like this.

Regards,

Kevin

dvdlpzus
02-19-11, 21:50
What are you using for a full size handgun?

This is exactly my dilemma. My current fs is an M&P9 w/ DCAEK and yesterday I shot a guy's 9c w/ DCAEK and it was a completely different trigger feel. I was set to buying the 9c but after feeling that trigger I am very confused. I was not able to keep 10 rds in 6in @ 10 yds and to me that is unacceptable. I am not sure if the trigger feels different because my fs is the thumb safety version and his 9c wasn't or what.

gkieser92
02-19-11, 22:12
This is exactly my dilemma. My current fs is an M&P9 w/ DCAEK and yesterday I shot a guy's 9c w/ DCAEK and it was a completely different trigger feel. I was set to buying the 9c but after feeling that trigger I am very confused. I was not able to keep 10 rds in 6in @ 10 yds and to me that is unacceptable. I am not sure if the trigger feels different because my fs is the thumb safety version and his 9c wasn't or what.

I use a G27. My fullsize gun is a G22. I can use the same holster for both and it can take the fullsize mags. I really like the concept of the chopped down duty gun. The difference in trigger feel may have been a fluke with that particular gun. I've felt a lot of Glocks that had different trigger pulls even though they supposedly had identical parts. Try a few more for a larger sample size. BTW, can the subcompact be had with a thumb safety? It would seem important to keep consistent.

mkmckinley
02-19-11, 22:32
I've tried a few compact guns in the past with poor results. My shooting with them was always much worse in terms of accuracy and followup. However I've been running a fullsize M&P9 for a few months and decided to try a compact. I set it up exactly the same way I have my FS set up. To my surprise I can shoot the SC almost as well as the full size, so I guess my advise would be to get the compact version of whatever fullsize you're most familiar with.

citizensoldier16
02-20-11, 06:45
I carry a S&W M&P9c, loaded with either Speer Gold Dot +Ps or BHA hollow points, in a CompTac holster with one spare mag. It works well, fits my hands almost perfectly, and is a great shooter.

M4arc
02-20-11, 08:13

That is the reason I didn't stick with the M&Ps. When I went searching for a compact I couldn't find one that was even remotely close (trigger pull & feel) to my fullsize. In the end I went with the G26 and I'm glad I did! It started off at a "summer" carry but I loved the little guy so much that it splits year around duty with my G19. Take a hard look at the G26.

Pistol Shooter
02-20-11, 08:45
I have a 9mm P2000 SK V3, they are also available in .40 S&W and .357 Sig.

My SK has great ergonomics, is extremely accurate and dead nuts reliable.

It's soft shooting especially given it's size and it's fun at the range.

Very easy to control on single shots, double taps and rapid fire.

The P2000 SK's adjustable grip should fit almost anyone.

Take a close look at one dvdlpzus, I think you might like it.

Bulldog7972
02-20-11, 09:06
I carry a P2000SK because I'm an HK snob, but I also own a G26 and it carries equally well. I find the Glock to be quite a bit less comfortable to shoot because its grip is so short and fat, but the trigger is tough to beat. The only mod I've made to the SK is I added an HK45C mag release, and that makes it one of the sweetest subcompacts on the market IMHO.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k40/millert12005/Guns/DSCN0050.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k40/millert12005/Guns/DSCN0051.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k40/millert12005/DSCN0124.jpg

I just picked up a 2000SK and am new to H&K. What does the addition of a 45C mag release give you? And what kind of holsters are those?

gtmtnbiker98
02-20-11, 11:02
I just picked up a 2000SK and am new to H&K. What does the addition of a 45C mag release give you? And what kind of holsters are those?The P2000/SK and USP/c mag release levers can be a little tight and difficult to manipulate at times. By adding the HK45c mag release, you gain a larger paddle and more leverage that = better and easier magazine release. It's a 2-minute upgrade and well worth the purchase.

As for my preference regarding a sub-compact, I run a P2000SK V3 9mm. Love it!!

JHC
02-20-11, 11:17
G26 here.

KCabbage
02-20-11, 14:03
The Kahr MK9 is nice. I'd go with the PM9 for pocket carry though. The Walther PPS is okay and allows for a fuller grip with the extension magazines.

F-Trooper05
02-20-11, 14:22
I just picked up a 2000SK and am new to H&K. What does the addition of a 45C mag release give you? And what kind of holsters are those?

Like gtmtn said, the 45C release is just A LOT bigger and easier to use. Those are both Galco holsters.

RogerinTPA
02-20-11, 15:47
I am looking heavily into getting an M&P9c because it is the same size as a G26 as far as concealment is concerned, and carries 2 additional rounds in the factory mag than a G26. The fact that I also carry an M&P9fs plays into this decision as well.

The M&P9c is a great companion for your full size and will accept your full size mags.

I went with just the Apex sear on most of my M&Ps, and the triggers are pretty identical.

Fly'nBuff
02-20-11, 15:54
For a sub-compact, I carry a G26 in a Minotaur w/ G19 magazine for a reload.

I prefer a J-frame for pocket carry when dress doesn't allow for belt carry.

darr3239
02-20-11, 16:03
If you are talking "sub-compacts", that would be something in size similar to the Glock 26/27s and smaller. Compacts are the mid-size Glock 19/23s.

For a sub-compact that I can put in my pocket, I use a 9mm Kel Tec P11 in a pocket holster. A lot of guys snub off the Kel Tecs, but mine shoots every kind of 9mm I can find without any issues what so ever. It's pretty accurate for it's sight system, and quite a bit less expensive than most others. I use Corbon 115 gr. ammo exclusively in my carry 9mms.

TheLefty
02-21-11, 11:53
Another vote for the Glock 26 here. I like mine so much that I bought another one recently. I carry my 26 in a Comp-Tac Ctac with a G19 mag OWB as a reload.

An M&P9c would be a good bet too, I used to own one, but I just couldn't shoot very well with the M&P triggers.

I also considered the Walther PPS and/or the Kahr PM9, but both seem hit or miss and have had enough issues that I'll wait and see what happens with them in the future.

taylodr
02-21-11, 12:05
And yet another Glock 26 vote. Without the extension on the mag it is quite a small grip, but with it, it is perfect. (Also takes the mags from my 17)

texshooter
02-21-11, 13:30
I carry:
Springfield EMP (3" 1911 platform)
Springfield XD subcompact

since everyone seems to be talking polymer frames ill give you my opinion on the XDsc.

I love it, i prefer SA over glocks in general. The angle of the grip is more natural to me. I have a pearce grip extension which allows me to put my whole hand on the grip. It conceals well, i use a Comp-Tac MTAC holster (like a CBST).

id say try it out and see what you like better. its all personal preference but if you can shoot both its definitely worth it.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
02-21-11, 13:43
I have a G26 for CC. It feels strange in the hand as the hump is more pronounced. But, it shoots better than almost any full size pistol for me. When I get a chance, I'll have a smith reprofile the grip, but for now its the best option I have. I tried the P2000 and the M&PC, but the G26 IMO beats em both.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f198/glockfire/DSC01346.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f198/glockfire/DSC01347.jpg

Kool Aid
02-21-11, 21:02
For me, the M&P 9c narrowly beat out the G26 and SK based on sight radius, ergonomics, capacity and thumb safety. Installing an Apex Sear in my 9c put it in a class by itself.

The Dumb Gun Collector
02-21-11, 22:23
I have owned several G26s and P2000Sks. I have never warmed to the M&P so I don't have much info there.

Having owned the above subcompacts (and Sig 239s in the old days) I have to say they are both fine. However, in my old age I have just stopped fooling with small guns that require belt hosters. I basically just carry my Kahr Pm9.

I would never have picked the Kahr up front. My brain tells me P2000 or G26, but my experience is that the Kahr will actually get carried.

jstephens202
02-22-11, 02:56
I use a G27 for a backup gun/deep,deep cover gun. Not exactly a sub compact, but I also have a G36 I really like and have had great results with, too.

Ironnewt
02-22-11, 04:14
I carry a Glock 22 as a duty gun and a Glock 27 as a off duty. My other "available" option is a Glock 23 and I figure if I'm going to carry a G23 I might as well carry a G22. I did get grip extentions for my mags (pearces) and they help a lot.

SiGfever
02-22-11, 15:15
I have owned several G26s and P2000Sks. I have never warmed to the M&P so I don't have much info there.

Having owned the above subcompacts (and Sig 239s in the old days) I have to say they are both fine. However, in my old age I have just stopped fooling with small guns that require belt hosters. I basically just carry my Kahr Pm9.

I would never have picked the Kahr up front. My brain tells me P2000 or G26, but my experience is that the Kahr will actually get carried.

I too carried a P239 and now have a G33 and a G19 but find that I reach for my PM9 more often because it is so light and flat.

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/2459/img0935large0nc.jpg

http://img61.imageshack.us/img61/7789/img1013medium5zh.jpg

SWATcop556
02-22-11, 16:03
That is the reason I didn't stick with the M&Ps. When I went searching for a compact I couldn't find one that was even remotely close (trigger pull & feel) to my fullsize. In the end I went with the G26 and I'm glad I did! It started off at a "summer" carry but I loved the little guy so much that it splits year around duty with my G19. Take a hard look at the G26.

This and new department policy are the reasons I have gone back to the Glock 9mm family. I primarily carry a G19 but my G26 is an excellent gun. It's very accurate, uses the same mags, sights, manual of arms, trigger, etc as my primary G19s and G17s and there is no learning curve between what weapon I'm carrying for what purpose. Another reason I no long use/carry a 1911 platform handgun except for competion/recreation here and there.

I would suggest trying out more than one M&Pc as they are the snowflake triggers and no two are alike. Also the newer manufactured pistols have better more consistent triggers.

Six oh Nine
02-22-11, 20:47
Depends on your purpose, i own glocks and HK, under compact I wouldnt trade my P30 for anything but if your going all the way to sub compact the G26 is pretty hard to beat....

carolvs
02-23-11, 16:51
My pocket gun 10mm

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/9582/texasranger.jpg

ffhounddog
02-24-11, 18:37
I have been using my PM9 more and more lately. Use to be a Glock 26 but that has been in the safe since...FEB last year before I got called up.

I have also been using my SW3913 alot more. Just something about that gun that I just love.

ffh

WaterChunker
02-25-11, 00:25
I had a springfield xd-40 sub compact that i traded to my dad and he bought me a new gen 4 19 clock. I loved the xd. I have read lots of bad on the gen 4 but haven't got to fire it yet so i may soon regret it. Who knows.

Tomahawk_Ghost
02-25-11, 10:32
The Kahr MK9 is nice. I'd go with the PM9 for pocket carry though. The Walther PPS is okay and allows for a fuller grip with the extension magazines.

I've been carrying a PM9 for about 7 years now. I like it. It's compact and mine has been reliable. I have a 5 year old and a 2 year old. Kids have a tendency to want to climb all over you. When I wear a belt holster they have a tendency to put their foot on it if I pick them up.

They're decent firepower with maximum concealability. My other favorite carry guns are a Glock 27 and 22.

maximus83
02-25-11, 13:40
PM9 for working out or deep concealment.

M&P9c for most of the rest.

dvdlpzus
02-25-11, 16:29
I will either get an M&P9c or a G16. I am leaning towards the M&P9c because of the thumb safety option but I am unsure since the trigger was that much different than my M&P9. Why do you have the one you have?

Hobbes
02-26-11, 22:29
I have an HK P2000SK in 9mm with the light LEM trigger. I like it. More comfortable to shoot and carry than a G26 for me.

I carry a 1911 when I carry full size, but I'm seriously thinking about replacing it with a HK45C so I have the same type of trigger on both carry guns....and well...I just want one ;)

capcop9
02-26-11, 23:43
I'd suggest an M&P compact or a subcompact Glock in whatever caliber tickles your fancy. I currently carry a Glock 26 regularly, but am waiting on an M&P40c, primarily because they fit my hands a bit better.

I totally concur with this which is why i chose to go the thee m&p40c over a glock 27

jamaicanj
02-27-11, 08:17
My favorite carry gun is my G26. It's size allows me so many different options that are not available with the larger models.

I also shoot my 26 better than my 19 or 17...not sure why, but that is the case for me.

diggo
03-02-11, 17:38
My pocket gun 10mm

That is nice!

VelveteenMole
03-03-11, 17:38
My pocket gun 10mm

OWWWWWW:fie:

bmwm3p
03-04-11, 10:43
I carry a P2000sk on a daily basis it's IMO it's the best shooting subcompact gun out there. It's also very comfortable to carry most of the time I forget that i have it on.

rescueswimmer
03-04-11, 19:36
I carry a P2000sk on a daily basis it's IMO it's the best shooting subcompact gun out there. It's also very comfortable to carry most of the time I forget that i have it on.

What he said.

Nytcrawler93
03-06-11, 18:05
Glock 26 and Walther PPS 9mm.

NC Buckeye
03-06-11, 19:53
I carry A G19 about 80% of the time and a PM9 the other 20%. For me if I can carry a 26, I can carry a 19 so I don't see much reason not to. If I am not carrying the 19 it is because I want something deeper in concealment and until glock makes a G13 (a single stack 26) the PM9 is the closest thing to what I want.

Small, light, no safety, same trigger pull each time, semi-auto, and low bore axis.

Small and light are obvious, no safety and same pull are for simplicity, semi-auto it because that is what I shoot 99.5% of the time and low bore axis is because small and light is hard enough to shoot anyway.

I also carry them both in a MTAC for consistency.

HeavyDuty
03-06-11, 20:33
When I carry (not often, only when I travel) of my semis my 3913 has gotten the most time. Since I'm moving to an M&P9 for a full size gun, I'm in the process of Apexing my M&P40c to see if I can make that my main CCW.

E-man930
03-06-11, 22:08
P2000SK 9mm LEM with HK45C mag release & trijicons.. (until Heinie makes sights for the P2000 series) I don't like guns much smaller than my SK but I have played around at the range with a PM9 and liked it - although that was only for about 50 rounds or so. So, +1 for the H&K. (I used to own a G26/G27 and did not like the grip)

Plan
03-07-11, 07:57
My primary full-size handgun is an M&P40, so it was only natural for me to get an M&P40c. Much to my surprise, I actually shoot the compact slightly better.

Putting a lot of rounds through a full-size handgun and then firing its compact equivelent may not "feel right" at first, but with a little bit of training it is interesting how the two systems crossover significantly. I wouldn't completely give up on the M&P9c just yet... There are so many benefits of using a "chopped" version of your fullsize.

dirksterg30
03-07-11, 08:25
For deep concealment, my PM9 has largely replaced the Kel-Tec P3AT. If I can get away with concealing something larger, the M&P9c comes out.

handlebar
06-20-11, 19:34
I am wearing my PM9 as I type this. I alternate between the PM9 and the PF9. Both have been reliable. The PF9 is much lighter and thinner, and half the price.

SiGfever
06-20-11, 22:06
Well my G33 got sold and I still carry the PM9, but lately this little guy is getting the duty. It still amazes me how accurate and smooth shooting this .40S&W is.

http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/8576/img15642large.jpg

cochraneap
06-21-11, 16:11
HK P2000SK all the way.

LanceOregon
06-22-11, 10:46
My solution was go with the Walther PPS for my subcompact. Try a PPS, I think that you will like its trigger.

Here is my full size, subcompact duo:

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s272/lanceJOregon/guns/DSC_2938b.jpg

The PPS is a lot thinner and shorter in both height and length:

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s272/lanceJOregon/guns/DSC_2937b.jpg

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s272/lanceJOregon/guns/DSC_2942b.jpg