PDA

View Full Version : Draw angle?

SpookyPistolero
02-19-11, 18:43
Couple of quick questions on draw angles before placing an order...

1- If I carry with a cant, but use straight drop for training, am I shooting myself in the foot?

2- Does straight drop seem to matter that much over ~5 degree cant, as far as speed?

I'm getting one holster for a G19 (carry, canted) and one for a G17 (training/range, straight drop unless the votes here say otherwise). Though honestly either might end up getting used for either purpose.

Thoughts?

oldtexan
02-19-11, 19:53
Couple of quick questions on draw angles before placing an order...

1- If I carry with a cant, but use straight drop for training, am I shooting myself in the foot?

2- Does straight drop seem to matter that much over ~5 degree cant, as far as speed?

I'm getting one holster for a G19 (carry, canted) and one for a G17 (training/range, straight drop unless the votes here say otherwise). Though honestly either might end up getting used for either purpose.

Thoughts?

The best course by far IMO is to decide on a carry gun and method of carry, and then train with that weapon and method of carry.

Train like you're going to fight.

SpookyPistolero
02-19-11, 19:57
That's wise counsel. And the more I've been pondering, the more I agree.

Magsz
02-19-11, 19:59
Yes, it makes a difference.

Having said that, I carry appendix and do the majority of my training with a straight drop (5 degree cant) OWB holster mounted at the 2 o'clock position on my hip due to range regulations.

Is the difference significant? Probably not. Alot of other people say otherwise but honestly, if you do MMA, how many types of kicks and holds do you practice? Alot? Low kick, high kick, snap kick, flying dragon kick to the face? With enough training and repetition you can ingrain quite a few processes into your brain. In a perfect world you would be "training the way you fight" but unfortunately, its not a perfect world. Some times you have to set yourself up for success when you are specifically trying to work on certain things, ie the basics of running a gun.

An example of this is that i cannot effectively employ my rifle with an appendix holster on. I resort to the aforementioned deviation and run OWB when im rolling with a rifle.

I am still faster drawing from the appendix position despite the differing position and the fact that i always drop from concealment with my appendix rig.