PDA

View Full Version : carbine buffer in rifle tube?

luckyguy1
02-19-11, 19:37
what would happen if I used a Carbine buffer in a rifle length stock tube with rifle spring??

Robb Jensen
02-19-11, 19:39
what would happen if I used a Carbine buffer in a rifle length stock tube with rifle spring??

Very likely catastrophic failure of the charging handle and upper receiver.

Evil Bert
02-19-11, 19:44
Don't do it. :suicide:

Your carrier would slam into the end of your upper receive and cause much damage to the firearm at the very least.

If it would work, don't you think people would be using it now?

The best thing going right now for buffers and recoil systems is the VLTOR A5 system

http://www.vltorstore.com/products/A5-Receiver-Extension-Tube.html

http://www.vltorstore.com/products/A5-Spring-and-Buffer-Kit.html

opmike
02-19-11, 19:49

Look at your upper and lower, and try to visualize how all these components interact with each other. What limits and arrests the rearward motion of your BCG?

An Undocumented Worker
02-19-11, 20:33
your carrier key will slam into the lower reciever where the buffer tube threads into it. Stuff will break, and you may not get the upper and lower back apart again. Bad juju any way you look at it.

GermanSynergy
02-19-11, 20:54
Please don't do this for reasons already outlined.

Another shooter I know asked about this after he bought an A5 RE, and I strongly advised him to NOT do it.

luckyguy1
02-19-11, 21:49
gee you would have thought I asked to hit a stick of old dynamite with a hammer.:suicide:

I was just askin':D

thanks for the concern though.........

Clint
02-19-11, 23:26

What are you trying to accomplish?

There may a better way.

Iraqgunz
02-20-11, 00:50
Before this thing goes Full Metal Retard we can shut it down. If there is a coherent reason to keep it open send me a PM.