PDA

View Full Version : XS Standard Dot front with what black rear on a Glock?

Rezarf2
02-19-11, 23:25
I am considering a XS Standard Dot sight with a black notched rear.

I was hoping the 10-8 and standard dot would line up nicely, but 10-8's sight says their hieghts won't work together.

What rear have you used that works with a XS standard dot up front?

What other systems would get me that sight picture look?

Drew

skyugo
02-20-11, 00:36
i think novak has a sight with a U-notch that a lot of guys like with the big dot front. I've got a spare set of glock 9mm/.40 big dots.... if you need em... rear is burned out front is BRIGHT. name your price.

outrider627
02-20-11, 02:20
I am considering a XS Standard Dot sight with a black notched rear.

I was hoping the 10-8 and standard dot would line up nicely, but 10-8's sight says their hieghts won't work together.

What rear have you used that works with a XS standard dot up front?

What other systems would get me that sight picture look?

Drew

Are you asking about this sight setup for a Glock? That's the only thing I see on 10-8's website about their rear sight not aligning perfectly with XS dots. It doesn't say that the XS/10-8 combo doesn't work, but that using this combo requires a different sight alignment than usual. I know that Ben from Boresight Solutions uses this combo and recommends it. Maybe someone here who sent him a pistol for custom work also ordered the XS/10-8 combo.

LDM
02-20-11, 08:54
I have seen some discussion of using the Novak Ghost rear (which is more a semi-circle) in combo with Big Dot front.
I run Big Dots on my H&K's. The stock XS Sight shallow "V" rear is OK for close & fast, but for longer shots it is short on reference and index. I use the tritium bar of the rear sight more as reference than the blade of the rear sight.
I think the Novak Ghost rear has potential with a Big Dot front, particularly if you get it with the tritium dot. (Unfortunately, Novak does not make the Ghost for my P2000 or P30)
I have read of several folks using the smaller sized XS Sight front sight with 10-8 rear sights with the rounded bottom notch and liking this combo.

JHC
02-20-11, 10:47
I've not worked with the standard dot but the Warren Sevigny black rear works extremely well with the BD on my RTF2 G17.
The zero at 15 yds is such that you use the BD exactly like a front post with a POA/POI and at 25 yds the POI is about 4-6 inches above POA - equating to a 6 o'clock hold on a bullseye.

SpookyPistolero
02-20-11, 12:04
Why do folks go with a black rear on a big front sight like that? Wouldn't night sights make more sense on a defensive arm?

KCabbage
02-20-11, 13:55
What's wrong with the XS rear? I find mine reasonably accurate out to about 15 yards or so. Haven't put much time into shooting any further. As soon as it dries out around here i'll be changing that.

JHC
02-20-11, 14:12
What's wrong with the XS rear? I find mine reasonably accurate out to about 15 yards or so. Haven't put much time into shooting any further. As soon as it dries out around here i'll be changing that.

My own experience was spending several years and thousands of rounds with the full XS set and could not get consistent precision past 12-15 yds. I like to be able to use my skill and the gun's capability further out - whether I "need" it or not.

And even in the 10-15 yard range - the shallow V is not friendly to making the 3x5 card hits on demand with any speed.

The speed up close is nice, but as they say, everything is fast up close. I've found this to be true.

Rezarf2
02-20-11, 15:17
Are you asking about this sight setup for a Glock? That's the only thing I see on 10-8's website about their rear sight not aligning perfectly with XS dots. It doesn't say that the XS/10-8 combo doesn't work, but that using this combo requires a different sight alignment than usual. I know that Ben from Boresight Solutions uses this combo and recommends it. Maybe someone here who sent him a pistol for custom work also ordered the XS/10-8 combo.

Yes! Any info on this would be awesome. Do you think the 10-8 disclaimer, quoted here "The .156" is a very fast option, and is also compatible in width with the XS Big Dot front sight."
So thats cool, but the BD is so stinking big, I can't imagine it wouldn't take up the whole sight picture. I like the idea of a standard dot but then the disclaimer says again...

*The XS Standard Dot front sight is too low for our Glock rear sight. Our rear sights are not compatible in elevation or notch width with the Glock/Trijicon/TruDot/Meprolight factory front sights. Our front sights are not compatible in height with Glock/Trijicon/TruDot/Meprolight factory rear sights.

I will call both companies this week and see if I can find a combo that works, the standard dot size is really appealing and I would assume it will leave enough light on each side of the dot to make a more accurate extended range shot.

I've not worked with the standard dot but the Warren Sevigny black rear works extremely well with the BD on my RTF2 G17.
The zero at 15 yds is such that you use the BD exactly like a front post with a POA/POI and at 25 yds the POI is about 4-6 inches above POA - equating to a 6 o'clock hold on a bullseye.

Thanks I will check this option out as well.

durus5995
02-20-11, 21:58
It sounds like you have your mind made up but have you checked out the Trijicon HD night sights that were released at SHOT this year?

http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product2_hdns.php?mid=8

It seems kind of like the same idea as a bright front sight with a black U notch 10-8 rear.

JHC
02-21-11, 06:03
It sounds like you have your mind made up but have you checked out the Trijicon HD night sights that were released at SHOT this year?

It seems kind of like the same idea as a bright front sight with a black U notch 10-8 rear.

THOSE I intend to try out. I placed an order with Trijicon but their CS dept told me last week they showed an April availability so I deferred.

IF the BD or std dot was on a flat topped post, it would be a better front sight IMO.

The BD front with Warren Sevigny rear I cobbled together for a new G17 RTF2 is a temp arrangement pending trying out the new Trij HDs.

TN-popo
02-21-11, 07:24
I have seen some discussion of using the Novak Ghost rear (which is more a semi-circle) in combo with Big Dot front.

I have this setup on my John Harrison SA 5" 1911.
POA/POI is right on out to 25 yards. It's fast and accurate enough (all offhand shots within a 5" bull at that distance).

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r304/TN-popo/DSC00758.jpg

Sorry for this crappy pic...
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r304/TN-popo/DSC00755.jpg

However, IIRC, that combo didn't work with Glocks when I checked...elevation wouldn't match.

LDM
02-21-11, 09:09
TN-popo, thanks for posting that. Been an admirer of Harrison for some time and jealous as hell that piece is yours and not mine.

Hard to tell from photo, but appears your rear sight has tritium dot?

Back to topic, even something akin the old semi-buckhorn style sight would work well with a Big Dot. More reference and index than the shallow "V".

post script- Just realized what I am talking about here is pretty much the Marble U upright rear sight. Oldie but goldie.

TN-popo
02-21-11, 09:28
LDM, yes the Novak rear has tritium w/o a white ring (you can also get one with no tritium).

I love the gun. I prefer Commander/4.25" 1911s, but I doubt I'll part with this one.

Rezarf2
02-21-11, 11:30

These seem promising, but their due date is still a few months out. The price is a bit on the high side, but I'd be all over a front only. I don't care for the tritium out back.

durus5995
02-21-11, 13:09
These seem promising, but their due date is still a few months out.

I think they are out right now. Looks like SWFA has them listed so far for Glock, Sig, S&W, and Springfield.

http://swfa.com/Trijicon-HD-Night-Sights-C3521.aspx

Looks like they are ready to ship unless I am missing something.

Sorry about the thread hijack I am done.