PDA

View Full Version : Laurue low or high mount

sac
09-10-07, 15:41
Hello,

I now have a eotech and I am thinking of replacing it with a aimpoint ml2.
I would like to go to one of Pat Rogers courses next summer and I read on here that he teaches using it as a ghost ring sight. So I was woundering if it was better to use the low or high mount ? I do have a fixed front sight ,and a was woundering with the low mount if it would co wittness or be to low with a fixed freont sight.

Thank you for the help and all the valuble information on here.

Scott

gunny
09-10-07, 17:03
LT-150 high mount if you want co-witness with your fixed FSB.

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=26

Nick S
09-10-07, 18:17
The LT-150 puts the line of sight between the FSB and whatever rear sight aperture in the bottom 1/3 of the FOV in the Aimpoint. Optically it appears to "co-witness) due to the nature of the Aimpoint sight.

Aubrey
09-10-07, 21:10
I believe that Pat advocates the LT-150-height Aimpoint mount, which will result in the irons being in the lower 1/3 of the optic's field of view. This will work fine when using the optic as a large ghost ring at closer distances.

Pat quote from another forum (http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=14435#14541):

...some believe that the optic must be in line with their iron sights (their idea of co witness- certainly less entertaining...)
I disagree with this. Having the optic sit that low means that your FSB will occlude targets at longer range, and may also possibly interfere with some observation at closer range.(If you use a folding FS, this is mitigated. However, you cannot rapidly deploy a folding front sight. My preference is to use a folding FS only when a telescope is used)
Having the iron sights in the lower 1/3 of the viewing plane makes more sense. If i need to use irons at close range (generally CQB distance, i won't extend my BUIS, but rather utilize the optic as a (very large) ghost ring sight, and place the front sight tip at the lower 1/3 of the optic.
Voila! Hits out to 15m w/o a problem.
If you need irons for longer shots, erect your BUIS and make a very slight change in your cheekweld and you are GTG. Remember that distance = time, so a miniscule adjustment is not an issue.

sac
09-10-07, 22:46
Thank you for the information .

Aubrey thank you for the link that was just what I was looking for

Scott