PDA

View Full Version : LMT MRP Piston Help

mtr5360
02-20-11, 00:36
So I sent my 16" MRP piston barrel off to ADCO to have it cut to 14.5" and perm attach a BattleComp 1.5 to it. They did a great job, but now the bolt is short stroking causing FTE and failure to lock back on an empty mag. Prior to the barrel work I had shot roughly 3,000 rounds through the weapon with no stoppages or malfunctions. I have cleaned/lubed the gun, and tried out different mags, ammo types and H2, H, and CAR buffers to no avail. All I can think of now is that the gas port diameter needs to be increased. Has anyone else had this issue? Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Iraqgunz
02-20-11, 00:56
Did you bother to call ADCO and ask them if they opened the port or measured it? It would also be nice to know if they test fired it as well.

If possible try an H3 buffer. Not sure that it will solve the issue, but it's worth looking at.

So I sent my 16" MRP piston barrel off to ADCO to have it cut to 14.5" and perm attach a BattleComp 1.5 to it. They did a great job, but now the bolt is short stroking causing FTE and failure to lock back on an empty mag. Prior to the barrel work I had shot roughly 3,000 rounds through the weapon with no stoppages or malfunctions. I have cleaned/lubed the gun, and tried out different mags, ammo types and H2, H, and CAR buffers to no avail. All I can think of now is that the gas port diameter needs to be increased. Has anyone else had this issue? Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Zzzake
02-21-11, 22:53
i have a LMT MRP Piston upper w/ a 16" barrel and after i did my first clean around 350 round, i have a similar problem with the BCG not locking back after the last round been fired. Anyone know why this is happening? I currently use the LMT H2 buffer. I cleaned the gun again after another 350 round and the bcg is only occasionally locking back. Any feed back is greatly appreciated !!!

Iraqgunz
02-21-11, 23:21
Tell us what magazines you are using.

i have a LMT MRP Piston upper w/ a 16" barrel and after i did my first clean around 350 round, i have a similar problem with the BCG not locking back after the last round been fired. Anyone know why this is happening? I currently use the LMT H2 buffer. I cleaned the gun again after another 350 round and the bcg is only occasionally locking back. Any feed back is greatly appreciated !!!

Zzzake
02-22-11, 00:07
Tell us what magazines you are using.

pmags 10 round 30 body
tried pmags 10 round 20 body, no difference really, was working fine before my first clean, so im kinda confused

had three occasions where gun jamed, the bolt only pushed half of the bullet into the chamber, thats out of 700 rounds

shooting mostly pmc and fiochi 223 55 grain fmj, i know pmc make gun dirty easily but even if i just cleaned and lubed, its still not locking

Iraqgunz
02-22-11, 00:58
Try some original GI mags. I think I would contact LMT directly and see what they say. It's possibly that those neutered magazines are causing issues.

pmags 10 round 30 body
tried pmags 10 round 20 body, no difference really, was working fine before my first clean, so im kinda confused

had three occasions where gun jamed, the bolt only pushed half of the bullet into the chamber, thats out of 700 rounds

shooting mostly pmc and fiochi 223 55 grain fmj, i know pmc make gun dirty easily but even if i just cleaned and lubed, its still not locking

Zzzake
02-22-11, 01:17
Try some original GI mags. I think I would contact LMT directly and see what they say. It's possibly that those neutered magazines are causing issues.

cool, will do, thanks alot!

variablebinary
02-22-11, 01:48
I had a 12" MRP piston and it was fussy about ammo, so I sold it for a 10" DI barrel and BCG and strangely enough, it is not fussy about ammo.

However, I wrote about this many moons ago when a couple of friends had similar issues with their 12" piston kits which had to go back to LMT for work.

I've heard the new kits are tuned better for less than perfect ammo, but I'm content with DI at this point.

ALCOAR
02-22-11, 08:24
Edited out my non constructive reply/piston rant:) Good luck with resolving the issue.

Maize
02-22-11, 10:12
Edited out my non constructive reply/piston rant:) Good luck with resolving the issue.Trident you really like to hammer home your opinion don't you? To each their own.:D

ddemis
02-23-11, 10:42
I fired several LMT piston guns and they do recommend full power 5.56 ammo for proper function.

Zzzake
02-24-11, 03:07
I fired several LMT piston guns and they do recommend full power 5.56 ammo for proper function.

yup, i switched to a better ammo and the problem is gone. Thank you all for the help :) I just now hope after I shoot it a while, it will feed on all ammo

Iraqgunz
02-24-11, 04:41
I had an interesting conversation today in regards to ammo, SBR's, and all the different configurations on the market.

One thing I think people should keep in mnd, especially when we are talking certain platforms. They weren't designed to shoot and function with shitty ammo. Yeah, I know that sounds like heresy, but the original conception and thought was for military end users. Military personnel are not shooting Wolf, Tula, PMC or anything else. They are shooting M855/856 and Mk 262 MOD 1 as well as that new ammo. I can almost guarantee that if one were to stick to those choices the guns would run trouble free.