PDA

View Full Version : Some myths about bugging out on foot

Grand58742
02-20-11, 03:33
In every forum and thread about bugging out on foot, one tends to see selected pieces of advice. Some gear related, some how-to’s and others just general observations. But several times, we see so called “myths” about bugging out on foot and the problems that can come from that. I’ve taken the liberty of looking at several items I consider to be “myths” about bugging out and attempted to problem solve through each of them. I ask questions in each that we all should be asking before making a plan to bug out.

Myth #1: “I only have XX miles from my work to my home, I can do that easy.”

With this myth prepper X knows a distance between their home and work which is a good thing. However, more often than not they hadn’t actually walked that specific distance. They are not typically taking into account the terrain, weather, seasonal factors and possibly hostile activity. How many have actually lugged a full BOB the distance between their work and home before? Not just the distance itself, but actually walked with their bug out gear from work to home? And lived out of their BOB along the way? Sure it is possible to go a straight line distance between point A and B. But more often than not, straight lines work great on a map. Plus the problems behind using roads. Sometimes roads cannot or should not be used. So for whatever distance you happen to be traveling, plan on double that amount.

So if one is to say that to make it stick, one must actually get out and walk that distance with their BOB. Get dropped off at your place of work, sling up the BOB and walk the distance over your primary planned route and in the time and supplies allotted. And for ever one track you might have planned, plan on two alternates as well as creeks and streams can be flooded, roads impassable, and other factors out of your control. Walk the alternate and secondary routes as well, making notes on what hazards can come up and plan on the best route which might suit the time you really need it.

Some things to look for. Are there spots to overnight along the way? What natural barriers are in my way? Do I have the tools and knowledge to overcome those obstacles? Are my maps current and taking into account things that might have changed since they were printed? Do I have enough supplies for an extended stay because weather or terrain slowed me down? Do I have the means to navigate without maps by using terrain association and/or compass headings? What areas do I want to avoid? What areas are safe?

Myth #2: “Don’t wear military style packs/gear/clothing! It makes you a target!”

A target for who specifically? Military gear is often cheaper, especially surplus and lot of folks use it whether they are civilian or former military or current military. An ALICE pack doesn’t make you any more of a target than say a red commercial Kelty pack. If you are in a situation where you will become a target from roving gangs or the like, it doesn’t matter if you have on an ALICE pack or the Kelty. A roving gang will only see “backpack” and wonder what you have inside. It might be valuable to them, might not. But the point is you might have more than they do and it makes you a target whether it’s a military pack or not.

Now on the flip side, if you start to look like you are about to invade Fallujah, you might be a little wrong. Some have a way of overdoing things and wearing a full Multicam combat ensemble with a full combat pack and a long gun will probably get you noticed by not only gangs who could want your weapons and stash, but also by law enforcement who could consider you a threat. Achieve a careful balance between practicality and functionality. Cargo type pants, whether they are surplus BDU or commercial khakis are generally not looked at any more than blue jeans. The same goes for packs. When bugging out on foot (think NOLA) it doesn’t matter if it’s a military pack or a civilian pack. More often than not, one would look and think “person with a pack” rather than “person with a pack…bet they are military and have all sorts of goodies because it happens to be a military style pack.”

So to overcome this myth, one had to ask what purpose you have for bugging out. Does your pack have the cargo space needed for your trip? Does it stand out? Do I have a long gun strapped to the outside that will draw more attention? Is the clothing I have going to provide me concealment along with being functional? Will khaki cargo pants and an earth tone shirt work or do I need the concealment of actual camouflage?

Myth #3: The availability of water.

More often than not, our BOBs have a way of gathering water and filtering/purifying it. And we have a way of carrying said water. And more often than not, we plan on having sufficient water supplies on our route of travel. But do we take into account the seasonal differences when we plan to bug out? Streams can dry up during drought conditions as well as freeze over during the winter. Do you have a way of melting snow and filtering it into potable water? Do you have enough capacity to carry extended water supplies in case the distance between known sources is greater than planned? Sure some folks tend to think they can use the black trash bag method to generate water from dew to survive, but is it enough when you are carrying a pack as well as moving?

And in conjunction with Myth #1, have you walked the distance between point A and B and figured out what water supplies are on hand? Are the streams sufficiently clean enough to filter water and away from known pollution sources (such as factories, animal grazing areas, dumps, etc) which could contaminate even clear water and slow your bug out by getting you sick? Will the streams be frozen during winter and force you to spend additional time thawing out ice to make water? Do you have enough storage in your BOB to make it between water sources without having to go without? Is a 100 ounce water bladder good enough or should you think about adding another liter bottle as a backup?

Myth #4: Slaying the zombie hordes.

Let’s face it, what good is a bug out bag unless we have enough ammo to fight off the raging zombie hordes coming to eat our brain? Or the fact many of us carry enough ammo to fight our way into trouble, but rarely enough to fight our way out? Far too often, BOBs are filled with more than sufficient ammunition. But when bugging out on foot, we need to think strategically and tactically at the same time. Bugging out typically means you are heading for a prepared retreat or a place of safety where you can be resupplied at will and the thousands of rounds you have stored will come into good use. That’s strategic thinking. Get from point A to point B.

But the problem is we plan on fighting the last battle of good versus evil during our bug out. When is enough ammo too much ammo? I.E. ten loaded magazines with another hundred loose rounds for reloads.

To think of bugging out on foot, especially solo, one has to think of being tactically minded. Concealment and running away from problems are sometimes the best ideas you can have. Hide from danger, but if you are confronted, plan on using every single round to the best potential and not wasting any. Think sniper when firing rounds at a potential enemy. You don’t have to put them down for good, but a wounding shot will stop or slow them down just as effectively as a kill shot. Military scouts don’t get into firefights because they typically don’t want to attract the attention. But they will fight if they have to and bloody the nose of the enemy enough to slow them down. And afterwards, slink away and hide before moving to safety. This is tactical thinking and we should be emulating it.

One should look at the amount of ammo and decide whether or not it is enough or too much. I can’t make that determination for you and each person had to decide what’s best for them. But the biggest thing I have seen is the fact some like to overindulge on the ammo stores and let other areas slip past them. Have enough ammo to get yourself out of trouble if a fight is picked with you. Don’t go around picking fights you don’t need to be involved in.

Some questions that have to be asked. Do you have enough ammo to be able to break contact and get away if attacked? What kind of enemies will you be facing? What are the odds of you breaking contact without firing a shot? Can you conceal yourself enough to get away (Myth #2) if you are being pursued? Am I carrying too much ammo and not enough food/water/shelter/clothing? Am I carrying enough of the aforementioned food/water/clothing/shelter and still too much ammo? How far will I need to travel and are my ammo stores enough to get me by? Do I fire well enough with my weapons system to be able to break contact without wasting ammo? Should I get into a prolonged firefight with a group or attempt to evade as best as possible? Are there areas of natural cover and concealment along my chosen route of travel (Myth #1) that I can hide or defend from? Should I make a stand or keep running?

Plan for action, but also plan for inaction. Bugging out solo can present many tactical problems, but most of them can be overcome by proper planning and preset evasion drills. But also, preset battle drills to make an attacker (or attackers) back off and rethink the idea of attacking you.

Myth #5: The minimalist BOB.

Another myth is the minimalist BOB we see from time to time. “I can shove everything into a Camelbak MULE and be just fine!” Okay, for experienced preppers and those that can get by with just a Swiss Army Knife, duct tape and a toothbrush, that’s wonderful. But more often than not, with minimalist kit things are missing. Essential things? Absolutely. Think cold weather gear for starters. Sure not all of us are in climates that require cold weather gear, but enough of us are in places where we would need such things during different seasons. Or redundant items that are critical to the success of bugging out on foot. Water purification for example. If the awesome Katadyn mini filter suddenly becomes contaminated, what are our options for back up?

We can (and often do in the beginning stages of preparedness) tend to go overboard on our kit, but some items are required to be redundant. And do we have enough space to cram in additional water purification tabs? Or a stove to boil water? Or a container to boil water in if our filter cannot be used? Or in the case of tabs, a container to let them purify before adding it into the hydration bladder?

One must be careful to carry enough items along with the alternate items just in case. But one has to also be careful in carrying too much. More often than not, minimalist BOBs are seen with those that don’t have a great distance to travel from point A to B. But are they taking into account the journey (Myth #1) between A and B? What items are missing and what would be necessary on an unplanned extended trip?

As was noted by a response in another forum, the “minimal BOB” wasn’t entirely agreed on. So I’ve expanded this section with the following comments…

True enough on those points and this was more or less the point I was trying to make. Too often you see BOBs packed away with 7 magazines, tacticool M4 with bling hanging on the rails and high dollar Tactical Tailor MAV setup to carry same, Glock with light mount and five spare magazines, combat IFAK with Izzy bandage, Quikclot, tourniquet but no boo-boo kit. No spare socks, no cold/foul weather gear, no sleeping bag save an emergency space blanket, but does have a disposable poncho, fire starter, hydration bladder, large tactical Jim Bowie Tanto Point Khukuri sheath knife along with pocket folder, multitool and keychain multitool but little else. Three Mountain House meals or MREs and they call it their "minimalist kit." This is the minimalist kit I'm referring to and the one that typically leaves important things behind. You can look at a person's kit and decide for yourself what they are missing and I can almost guarantee you you've probably faced palmed over so called "minimal kits" before.

Sure some have experience and know what works and what you have to have and what you can leave behind. But that's experience talking. More often than not, a beginner prepper might not know this is experience talking and attempt to emulate. And this is where they fail. And in failure is discouragement and in discouragement means they potentially stop being prepared all together. Or don't practice as often (as the response pointed out we need to do) and hard earned lessons are soon forgotten. I'm sure through trial and error some have learned what was absolutely necessary and what wasn't, but they still had that trial and error period when they figured out what was best and what could be left behind.

The "myth" is about those who critique a person's load and say "you don't need this, that and you can drop those, but you should replace it with doodad X instead and lighten your weight. You only need one way of starting a fire that Bic will be fine (as if a lighter never gets wet) but heaven forbid you drop a magazine because you NEED that ammo!" So on and so forth. These are the ones that only plan on going XX number of miles because "I can do that no sweat" and leave important things behind because they feel they won't be needed. But as pointed out accidents happen and things take a turn for the worse when they don't make a timeline or are diverted off a path they intended.

And therein lies the myth. The myth that one only needs a minimal kit because they only have to go so far or believe they won't need certain items because the distance is not going to be great enough. A BOB should probably packed the same way whether you are going five or fifty miles. Why? Because you don't drop items because you have found their value and know you "might" need them if it comes down to it. Okay, call it a minimalist kit if you want, but I'm sure most have the basics covered. Maybe you don't carry many redundant items, but I'm sure you carry at least one or two spares of something "just in case." Socks or a little more 550 cord than you need or a spare toothbrush or whatever. The point is, some have lightened your load and are comfortable with the minimal gear necessary for THEM to survive. But probably through trial and error more than just saying "I only need this to survive because I'm only going X miles to my home or bug out location."

Myth #6: The vacuum packed BOB.

“My BOB has vacuum packed clothing and other odds and ends.” Okay, great for packing, but also horrible for packing as two things happen. First, some of those items are hard to get to in a hurry if you really need them. Second, once the vacuum sealing is destroyed, try cramming everything back into your pack (assuming it’s packed tight to being with) and heading along. While it can and does have its place, be careful not to overindulge in the vacuum sealing of things like clothing. Sure enough it works like a charm when packing, but when unpacked? A whole different story. Your BOB should contain enough room to pack in unsealed items as well as sealed items. Pack it both ways and if there is extra space, there is extra space and who cares?

Vacuum sealing is a double edged sword and one that any prepper should think through smartly before employment. Once the sealing is destroyed, are the contents now at risk of being damaged by rain and snow? Do you have a backup plan for resealing the contents like Zip-Lock bags? Do I have enough room to pack away items without having to seal them? Is my pack big enough to account for bulky clothing items that are unsealed? Should I just use a regular Zip-Lock bag and forgo the vacuum sealing?

Just a few things to think of when getting out the food preserver and packing away kit that could be essential and/or too bulky to repack.

These are just some of the things that I’ve seen over the years when discussing bugging out on foot. And more to the point, these are personal observations of mine that your individual mileage might vary on. Some will agree and others disagree, but when bugging out on foot, several factors have to be taken into account on. Where you are headed, how long it will take, what weather/seasonal changes you might encounter and personal preference on gear to be taken.

NoveskeFan
02-20-11, 05:44
Nice long post. I enjoyed reading it. I really like Myth #2 and agree that if things are bad enough, it wont matter what you're wearing or carrying your gear in...escape and evade!

Paraclete comes
02-20-11, 17:38
I agree the only thing I might add and maybe you had this posted somewhere is for packing. Try those water proof military/backpacker vacum bags you seal and what not by hand. Sorry if you posted this and I missed it.

Really a good post and in the end situation will dictate. I have found also as kimber when your in a small team or SHTF and its just you and the wife, better to E&E and live to fight another day.

Spade
02-20-11, 18:14
Great post. There is some good food for thought in there and some things for people to chew over. Well done.

02-20-11, 19:50
Berkey Sport Bottle- Then you can safely drink from streams or puddles. Should be in every bug out kit.

ST911
02-20-11, 22:04
Every time I read about someone's plan to walk somewhere, I wonder how long they've ever actually walked in their life. Add variables and obstructions of various sorts, and reality slaps them a little harder.

SethB
02-20-11, 22:27
I would walk somewhere to bug out, but only as a last resort.

I wouldn't want to carry more than 60 pounds, all up, and even at that, I wouldn't expect to make more than 20 miles a day.

Most people don't realize how hard it is, unless they've been in the military.

HES
02-20-11, 22:29
Good post. #6 is something everyone needs to pay attention to. Get some 1 and 2 gallon zip bags and pack with that. Like you said, once you break the seal on a vacuum bag it is no longer worth much.

02-21-11, 14:36
Skintop- I agree. I hike 3-5X/wk. in rough mountainous terrain and it can be a bear. My ankles can handle being rolled, but for most, one roll and they're done. That's a side note to the fact that adding a pack to my load severely cuts down on how fast/far I can go. Even on level ground, I don't think most people would make it far carrying only a small amt. of weight. Add a 30-80lb. pack and they will be lucky to make it a couple of hours. It simply isn't realistic for most unless they hike/run routinely and add a pack on top of that. Those that think they are just going to load up and go are mistaken.

bkb0000
02-21-11, 15:24
I would walk somewhere to bug out, but only as a last resort.

I wouldn't want to carry more than 60 pounds, all up, and even at that, I wouldn't expect to make more than 20 miles a day.

Most people don't realize how hard it is, unless they've been in the military.

i think most people think they could do 20 miles with a heavy ruck... i don't think most people would do 20 miles with NO ruck. i think they'd get pain and get tired and sit down. if the terrain were anything but wide stretches of flat grade, 10 miles tops... through woods with moderate undergrowth, maybe 5 miles. james kim (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Kim) made it 16 miles through less than a foot of snow down roads with basically no weight before falling over and dying- and his perception was a life and death situation for his wife and children. how far can your average COD playing desk-sitter go for no one but himself? profuse sweating within the first mile will soak your clothing through... cramps, exhaustion, rapid dehydration... i think your average american will be pretty surprised by what he simply cannot do, and curse all that sitting he did.

as you said... unless you've been in the military, or mountaineer or regularly engage in some other activity that necessitates actually doing it, you have no idea.

JStor
02-21-11, 15:48
Good post, Grand58742,

For me the whole concept of "bugging out" is something I don't consider, unless it's just to get home from somewhere else. I've always wondered where all these people are bugging out to? I mean what is their destination? You can only carry so much, and you can easily become a target. That is why I have no intention of going anywhere if the "stuff hits the fan." I'll stay and grow my food and defend my home and family.

Those leaving the cities aren't going very far before food/water becomes a problem. A better way is to leave now, before anything happens. Establish oneself in a safe zone. Settle in a small rural community or out of town far from the very large cities.

A book I just finished reading gives a very likely scenario after an EMP destroys the power grid. Very thought provoking.

"One Second After" by William Forstchen

Abraxas
02-21-11, 15:54
Great post, tagging for interest

PA PATRIOT
02-21-11, 18:18
Bugging out on foot should be a very last ditch option if you have the family in tow, having tried the experience a few times on level/straight out of service railroad tracks with everyone carrying their personal BUG pack made for a interesting walk.

The kids carry just the bare minimums to prevent fatigue and to extend their range, the wife has a bit more gear but her pack weight is also managed. I carry the most weight but its nothing that I don't train with during my 3X a week walks so I'M acclimated to the load over extended distance.

What I find is that the kids almost aways poop-out after only 7 to 8 miles and hammer the water supply no matter what the temperature. Then me the the wife end up carrying the kids load to keep them moving but the wife starts to fade after 10 or 11 miles and the kids by that time are spent and a extended rest is called for. Now remember this is on open level track so I would cut the distance in half if the kids had to move through wooded terrain and hills.

Traveling by vehicle has its own issues so early warning with super fast pack and roll is called for to beat the crowded roadways. Bugging in if your location is defensible maybe most peoples best bet and being able to keep your existence covert will keep one out of the lime-light so to speak.

Everyones situation is different so put those plans to the test several times and weed out the weakness, it just might keep you alive when the SHTF.

500grains
02-22-11, 18:31
If my wife is at the office, and roads are immediately closed, she has a 25 mile walk ahead of her. She can do it, but my best bet would be to meet her part way along a designated route.

indawire
02-22-11, 21:48
I know everyone is not in the same situation as I am, I work just 9 miles from my house. I keep a bicycle (free at the local dump) at work, ready to ride in case the I can't drive my truck all the way home. I just figure on throwing the bike in the back of the truck until I can't go any further an then ride as far as I can, then walk if need be. I realize all sort of points can be made about the weather, blocked roads, zombies etc. but my point is don't dismiss alternate methods of locomotion. Also, any kind of carry weight is easier when slung on a bike and rolled along, just ask 10,000,000 Chinese how they conduct business.:p

swsmailman
02-22-11, 22:27
Great post and very well thought out, made me think about some things in my half done BOB. I have done some really long hikes carrying about 30 lbs and I think I could make it to my destination in case I needed to. To me if I was able to get out of the city on foot while carrying my gear and rifle, I could get the rest of the way through the country.

I do know what kind of obstacles lie in my way, mainly 1 massive lake. But I think I could manage.

I do know I would not be alone though, I already have a pact with 2 friends that would first come to my place and then we would head out. But then again that can also create problems if one of them got hurt or began to slow us down.

Hopefully I will be in the ground after having a wonderful life before anything happened that would require a bugging out. But you just never know.

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-22-11, 23:45
Bugging out on foot should be a very last ditch option if you have the family in tow, having tried the experience a few times on level/straight out of service railroad tracks with everyone carrying their personal BUG pack made for a interesting walk.

The kids carry just the bare minimums to prevent fatigue and to extend their range, the wife has a bit more gear but her pack weight is also managed. I carry the most weight but its nothing that I don't train with during my 3X a week walks so I'M acclimated to the load over extended distance.

What I find is that the kids almost aways poop-out after only 7 to 8 miles and hammer the water supply no matter what the temperature. Then me the the wife end up carrying the kids load to keep them moving but the wife starts to fade after 10 or 11 miles and the kids by that time are spent and a extended rest is called for. Now remember this is on open level track so I would cut the distance in half if the kids had to move through wooded terrain and hills.

Traveling by vehicle has its own issues so early warning with super fast pack and roll is called for to beat the crowded roadways. Bugging in if your location is defensible maybe most peoples best bet and being able to keep your existence covert will keep one out of the lime-light so to speak.

Everyones situation is different so put those plans to the test several times and weed out the weakness, it just might keep you alive when the SHTF.

Your kids are going to have great stories to tell about family vacations when they grow up. :D

BOB all you want, I'm going to become the local war lord.

Dave L.
02-23-11, 09:01
Grand58742,

Great post, and welcome to the site. It's nice to see more reality-based advice come to this forum.

D

Turnkey11
02-25-11, 01:00
Myth #1 hit the nail on the head for me, the last thing I wanna do is walk home from work after dark. Its 12 miles and the first half of that is a daily SHTF area already. Without a pistol, Id rather stay behind the fence where its safe.

13MPG
02-25-11, 05:53
[QUOTE
BOB all you want, I'm going to become the local war lord.[/QUOTE]

That's my plan!:D

For me the goal would be getting home from where ever I happen to be. Home is fairly remote and there are a number of like minded people around me.

That’s a very good point. I also think that a lot of people severely underestimate what that kind of a trek would be like. I guess I am lucky to have a pretty large piece of property to play on. There are several logging roads to harvest the timber but 95% of it is “off roading”. During the spring and summer I scout a lot for the upcoming hunting season. Normally I carry about 25 pounds and a shotgun and even that light of a load can be a challenge depending on the terrain and the condition of the woods (snow/wet/mud).

LOL, at one point I think I had more ammo in the truck than I did at home. I have since scaled it back dramatically. I found an old chi-com AK chest harness in the attic which has turned out to be perfect. It is very low profile and I can wear it under a light jacket or button down shirt. In it I have 3 30rd mags, 1 20rd mag, 4 G19 mags, and some other tools. My thought behind this was that I would rather be fast than fight an epic battle. For the most part the route I have planned to get me home would allow me to walk tree lines. I feel that this would give me a much better chance to avoid any contact.