PDA

View Full Version : Looking at a G36 for CC. Pros? Cons? Experience?

JSTICFRALL
02-20-11, 07:17
As the title says, I'm interested in a G36 to be a concealed carry weapon, especially for the summer time. Any of you guys have any experience with one or any comments to make about it?

Paul45
02-20-11, 07:41
Have you shot it? Have you tried to conceal it? How does it fit your hand? Can you shoot it accurately and fast?

If the answers are yes and it all works, then it is a great gun for you to carry.

We can tell you how well it functions and how accurate it or how much WE like it but the real test and choice is yours. You need to spend time with a gun to make a carry decision. It has to be YOUR choice.

willowofwisp
02-20-11, 07:49
I'd be weary of the glock 36, they seem to be the most troublesome...either they run awesome or don't run at all.

Dobie
02-20-11, 07:54
I had one and sold it. Gun ran fine but for a slimline the slide is too big.
I like Glocks because of the magazine commonality between the same caliber guns in the series. The 36 breaks that pattern. Your stuck with low capacity. I used to think I had to have 45 ACP but after buying a few and looking at capacity, size & weight I switched to 9mm and found I shoot the 9 better also.

M4arc
02-20-11, 08:10
I'd be weary of the glock 36, they seem to be the most troublesome...either they run awesome or don't run at all.

Willow is right. If you get a good one it will be a fine CCW gun. But if you get one that is problematic sell it because even multiple trips back to GA don't seem to help.

samuse
02-20-11, 08:10
I agree with Willow and Dobie.

I had a 36 back in '08 and it was not reliable at all. I've been told that they're reliable now, so I'd try one out and see how it works for you.

I didn't like the 2-fingered reloads either.

I've been owning and shooting Glock 19s for years and I think the 9mm Glocks are the best.

SeriousStudent
02-20-11, 13:36
I owned a G36 for about 9 months, and carried it for a Texas summer. It was purchased used, and given to me as a gift.

I checked my logbook, and it fired a total of 932 rounds of UMC green box 230 grain FMJ, and Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel 230 grain HP's. This was through four Glock factory mags. No failures to feed or extract were in my logbook, and I do not remember any. I'm pretty OCD about logging issues on a new carry gun.

I sold it when I consolidated all my pistols on the Glock 9mm and S&W .38 J-frame models. It had operated satisfactorily when I sold it, and the individual that bought it has not communicated any issues back to me.

All that considered, I really consider the G-36 to be the "Anti-Glock". Glock achieved their market share by offering a pistol that was reliable, simple and cost-effective. As previous posters have said, the G-36 is the least reliable of their tribe.

Mr. Vickers has said that if you treat your guns like you treat your lawnmower, you need to buy a Glock or AK. Unfortunately, the G-36 violates that precept. It requires the most "attention" of any Glock.

If you do have to buy one, I would encourage you to buy a used one that you can perform an extended test-fire with.

I really do not miss it. It was barely smaller than my G-19, and it was a lot harder to find mags, parts and holsters for. I would not have bought it, but was willing to give it a fair eval when given one.

I've gone back to a G-19/X300 combo, with a S&W 642/Crimson Trace as a backup.

My statistical sample of one. Good luck to you whatever you decide, and stay safe.

JSTICFRALL
02-20-11, 15:14
I hate to jump ship already, but the fact that the G36 is hit or miss makes me not want to trust one for everyday carry. I was attracted to it because A) I like Glocks and have owned one for the past few years B) It's nice and small for concealing C) I love the way it feels in the hand and I'm a fan of its slim profile. However the fact that it's finiky pretty much negates it as an option. Thanks for the input, gentlemen!

DocGKR
02-20-11, 17:31
JSTICFRALL--Unless you get free .45 ACP ammo or live in an anal retentive state that illogically restricts magazine capacity, get yourself a G19, M&P9/M&P9c, or HK P30 and be done with it. Then you can forget about hardware and focus on training, practice, and mindset.

masakari
02-20-11, 17:43
My only issue with the G36 is the extremely small magazine capacity. The mags are bulkier than a 1911 mag and carry less. I also don't like the short grip + large mag baseplate.
but the pistol itself, im my opinion, is great. It handles and conceals extremely well. I just prefer the 10 round capacity of the G30.

spd707
02-20-11, 17:44
I like them for concealed carry. They are a bit large though.

ST911
02-20-11, 22:12
JSTICFRALL--Unless you get free .45 ACP ammo or live in an anal retentive state that illogically restricts magazine capacity, get yourself a G19, M&P9/M&P9c, or HK P30 and be done with it. Then you can forget about hardware and focus on training, practice, and mindset.

Good advice here.

JSTICFRALL
02-20-11, 22:50
I'm noticing a lot of 9mm love for CCW's. Is it because of weight and ammo capacity?

TheGreenRanger24
02-21-11, 02:27
I'm noticing a lot of 9mm love for CCW's. Is it because of weight and ammo capacity?

I think it something more along the lines of:
a) 9mm ammo is generally cheaper than .45
b) Modern 9mm defensive ammo is quite suitable for ccw
c)Since 9mm is cheaper and works well, you can train more with 9mm and become more proficient with your chosen handgun.

At least, that's my understanding of the situation. :p

Edit: Plus, from what I understand, if you want a Glock, you're better off with a 9mm version as those tend to be the most reliable. If you have to have a subcompact Glock, consider the G26.

DocGKR
02-21-11, 02:45
TheGreenRanger24 hit some of the key points. In addition, imagine if you have to shoot weak handed. A few years ago, I suffered an injury at work to my right/strong hand that required multiple sutures and resulted in my hand being encased in fiberglass—in short, I had no use of my right/strong hand for several weeks. Like many, I had done a fair amount of training where we were required to practice weak hand shooting to simulate an injury to the strong hand. So no problems right? I thought I would just carry my 1911 on the left side and drive on with my weak hand. It turns out that while this sounds great in theory, things got a bit more interesting when having to do it for real. As soon as I was able, I went to the range to check out things…hmmm, not so good. Turned out the 1911 was a bit harder to use purely one handed--mag changes were really slow when one truly only has the use of one hand, also the 1911 torqued a bit when I shot it left handed. Since larger magazine capacity and less recoil suddenly seemed to be a good thing, I shifted over to a G19 for carry. Hits were much better, and while mag changes were still slow, they were not so frequent. For one handed/weak handed shooting I would DEFINITELY recommend a 9 mm over a .45 ACP or .40 S&W.

JSTICFRALL
02-21-11, 07:51
Fortunately my girlfriend has a G26 and I have had some range time with it. It's a pretty fantastic gun and with a magazine extension on it, you don't even really notice the shorter barrel length. I have also carried it and its size really made a difference for me with reducing the gun's footprint. Hence, why I'm looking for a subcompact.

willowofwisp
02-21-11, 08:36
Fortunately my girlfriend has a G26 and I have had some range time with it. It's a pretty fantastic gun and with a magazine extension on it, you don't even really notice the shorter barrel length. I have also carried it and its size really made a difference for me with reducing the gun's footprint. Hence, why I'm looking for a subcompact.

Why not get a 26 then? I have been carrying one for well over a year..great gun.

JSTICFRALL
02-21-11, 09:58
She doesn't really carry that often so I think I'll ask her if I can borrow it for a week or two and see how I like carrying it on a daily basis. I think I even mentioned wanting to buy one of my own but she responded with "Why would you do that? We already have one!" haha.

DocGKR
02-21-11, 12:23
G26 with a mag extension is the same size as a G19 in the measurement that matters for concealed carry--the grip length. Except for BUG use on an ankle or vest, I found there were NO situations were I could conceal a G26, but not a G19. Thus for my purposes, I got rid of my G26 and standardized on G19's for CCW and stuck with J-frames for BUG use.

willowofwisp
02-21-11, 12:36
G26 with a mag extension is the same size as a G19 in the measurement that matters for concealed carry--the grip length. Except for BUG use on an ankle or vest, I found there were NO situations were I could conceal a G26, but not a G19. Thus for my purposes, I got rid of my G26 and standardized on G19's for CCW and stuck with J-frames for BUG use.

I feel the same way about the mag extension, I carry my 26 with the standard flat floor plates or flat GAP plates.

Rmorris
02-21-11, 15:12
I find the gloorplate and frame seam is right where I want to put my finger. It makes for a pinched finger every time I shoot one. I like the gun for what it is, but I carry a 27. There is always the 30 and the GAPs if you are set on a .45.

ST911
02-21-11, 21:47
I've never understood the compulsion some have to put the darn pinky rest on the subs. Have they contemplated what role the pinky serves when there's space on the gun for it? What is lost when there isn't?

The greatest utility in the pinky extensions is in the extra surface area that's available to grasp during removal from a mag pouch.

DanjojoUSMC
02-22-11, 01:26
The pinky finger is actually the most important when it comes to having a strong, solid grip on an object.

jstephens202
02-22-11, 02:53
I've had a G36 for over 10 years and must be one of the lucky ones as mine has been an accurate and reliable shooter. I carry it, however, only when I can't carry one of my 1911s. What I'd like to see from Glock is a single stack full size .45(5" or 4.5" barrel).