PDA

View Full Version : New Light Mount Idea

Wes Robinson
02-20-11, 11:32
removed

Quib
02-20-11, 11:44
I am curious if anyone else has tried this.

Along those lines.......

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5251/5437527280_2e912031d4_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4141/5437527262_707d1d82c0_z.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5214/5439141372_34e825724c_z.jpg

The Cat
02-20-11, 12:27
That looks pretty interesting.

Wes Robinson
02-20-11, 15:19
removed

Dos Cylindros
02-20-11, 15:27
I think I know what your answer probably will be, but how about just buying a light mount? Gear Sector makes a reasonbly priced mount for your light and it deffinately won't break. Now that we have so many light mounting options, I think the days of jerry rigging are well behind us.

Wes Robinson
02-20-11, 15:32
removed

ra2bach
02-20-11, 16:25
I think I would go with the hose clamp method before I did that...

nickdrak
02-20-11, 16:48
I would definitely try to get ahold of a Gear Sector mount or similar design.

I also suggest you ditch that RRA/YHM folding FSB/gasblock combo. They tend to loosen themselves up. We have 25 department rifles that were ordered with that same front sight. Most of the rifles have been in storage collecting dust for the past 2 years. I did a recent check on them and every single one had loose bolts. Add heat and recoil to the equation and I think you get the idea. Red loctite wont work because the bolts and the clamps fatigue over time due to the design.

MistWolf
02-20-11, 17:14
While the lockwire is a temporary solution at best, in this case, it's better than using hose clamps.

Wes, run your lockwire through those protective plastic sleeves to keep the wire from cutting grooves into the material of your rails and loop that pigtail!:big_boss:

Wes Robinson
02-20-11, 17:22
removed

Rattlehead
02-20-11, 18:01
Sounds like a nice temporary solution..
Speaking of ideas, I'm wondering when Surefire is going to make a M900 Stubby..maybe an AFG style with a KM4 head incorporated into it someway.

MistWolf
02-20-11, 18:20
as i wrote before, i want a new front sight gas block, also finding a good low pro mount in Canada is hard and or expensive, and there is a looped pigtail, its one solid strand that i threaded threw the rail, wrapped around the light body, twisted about an inch then threaded one end back threw the rail at another point and so on and so forth. i was thinking about protective tubing for it but again its a rifle its going to be abused and used, it's not meant to be pretty, just meant to hold that light on till hopefully a low pro mount comes available in Canada.

I was giving you a hard time about the final pigtail. Actually, your lockwire looks good! I suggest the protective sleeves because the lockwire will fret and cut it's way through the aluminum of the rails. Wear on a working rifle is ok. Destruction of it's parts is not. Not trying to bust on you- As a fellow aviation technician, just trying to help out

tuck
02-20-11, 18:23
and loop that pigtail!:big_boss:

BAHAHAHA! That brought me back to A&P school.

OP, while safety wire has its uses, attaching a light to a carbine isn't its best role IMO.

Army Chief
02-20-11, 18:23
Along those lines.......

Good stuff, Quib -- and nothing less than I would expect from a former high-speed AeroScout Crew Chief. =]

AC

Wes Robinson
02-20-11, 18:56
removed

MistWolf
02-20-11, 19:14
Heh! I should have figured you were a squared away airman. My apologies for doubting the quality of your pig-tail.

Yes, I recall the frustration I had trying apply lockwire to the satisfaction of my chief inspector on the prop bolts of our DeHavilland Twin Otters

Wes Robinson
02-20-11, 19:22
removed

Dunderway
02-20-11, 21:48
You could use some low profile scope rings for a cheap solution.

Quib
02-20-11, 22:31
Good stuff, Quib -- and nothing less than I would expect from a former high-speed AeroScout Crew Chief. =]

AC

Thanks AC. :)

Mac5.56
02-20-11, 22:37
So the example this guy posted is pretty poorly thrown together I have to admit, and as a presentation it doesn't do much to sell the idea. But, why do so many of us default to: "buy this product" whenever someone tries to find their own solution regarding mods for the AR? Hell I've caught myself doing it. The number of times I have suggested a sling, or whatever, when I know I could make it myself...

I like seeing DIY solutions to things on this forum, as it gives me inspiration for ways to mod my own rifle without buying Magpul's (or whoever) new fancy whizz bang product. I may do a more focused approach to applying the wire, but I am considering this as a quick way to slap a light on my wife's AK if need be...

Wes Robinson
02-21-11, 07:14
removed

Dos Cylindros
02-21-11, 10:02
So the example this guy posted is pretty poorly thrown together I have to admit, and as a presentation it doesn't do much to sell the idea. But, why do so many of us default to: "buy this product" whenever someone tries to find their own solution regarding mods for the AR? Hell I've caught myself doing it. The number of times I have suggested a sling, or whatever, when I know I could make it myself...

I like seeing DIY solutions to things on this forum, as it gives me inspiration for ways to mod my own rifle without buying Magpul's (or whoever) new fancy whizz bang product. I may do a more focused approach to applying the wire, but I am considering this as a quick way to slap a light on my wife's AK if need be...

It's not that people are trying to push a "latest greatest" product, it's just that there are proved products out there. Let's get real we are not talking about a $600 -$1,000 dollar optic here, we are talking about a light mount. I can't imagine how much more expensive they could be in Canada, but even a set of scope rings (which I am sure are available in Canada) would be a far better solution than this.

People are trying to lend advice, not push a product.

Cincinnatus
02-21-11, 11:39
As far as an improvised mount goes, I think a Surefire G2 attached with heavy zipties would work better.

ucrt
02-21-11, 12:32

Personally, having a picatinny right there like you do, I'd use a pair of Weaver Low Scope Rings. Lightweight, readily available, removable with only a screwdriver, inexpensive.

Heck, GG&G sells the Weaver's as light mounts at $17/each but you should be able to find them for <$20/pair.

I use the Weavers to hold my 6P on the FSB but I recommend using a pair because after a 1000 shots or so, with one mount my light tended to migrate forward.

But maybe that's just me...

Wes Robinson
02-22-11, 08:09
removed