PDA

View Full Version : Accu-wedge

ca_fireman19
02-20-11, 12:41
Are these necessary? I know they're intended to take the slop out of the lower/upper receivers when they start to get worn, however, I have a little slop in a brand new/never fired set. Should I try one of these things or just deal with the slop? My Sun Devil lowers have a set screw that puts tension on the rear take take down pin eyelet. I've read about many people on M4c not liking that design, but now real good explination...can anybody explain this to me? Also, I have seen these floormat looking things that you lay in the base of your lower receiver. Are these the same idea as the Accu-Wedge? Meant to remove slop between the receivers?

Evil Bert
02-20-11, 12:48
Despite this being covered numerous times on this forum (https://www.m4carbine.net/gtsearch.php?cx=003496919632624929056%3Adhiwgm0hbaa&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=UTF-8&q=accuwedge&siteurl=www.m4carbine.net%2Fsearch.php) the answer to your question is it is NOT necessary. It is simply a preference thing. Some people do not like the very idea that the upper and lower has daylight or movement, because they do not understand the firearm and the internals as far as what effect function and accuracy of the firearm.

It is a solution to fix a problem that does not exist.

That said, it is your money. If you want to try one out and if you like it, then by all means buy one or two. Try it out. But no it is not necessary.

Frens
02-20-11, 13:36
it wont improve accuracy.
instead of wasting money gey a simple oring and put it around the front pivot pin lug ;)

ALCOAR
02-20-11, 13:36
Slop only affects the mind's accuracy, not the rifles.

That said, nobody should be ridiculed because they have a touch of OCD and prefer a tight fitting pair. So should you just prefer it, there is a right way and wrong way imho.

Wrong way: Any form of a wedge like a rubber accu-wedge or similar that seats inside the lower is just not a good idea, moreover it does not get at the heart of the "slop" problem.

Right way: Remove the "slop" outta the rifle by using the front lug over the rear lug. You will need an asst. size lot of smaller rubber plumbing type Orings. You need to make sure and get various sizes to get a proper fitting one because they make a 1000 sizes. They can be had at Lowes, HD, Sears, or any other hardware store for dirt cheap and once you find your size, you can use them as disposables. Anyway, just take the right size Oring and wrap it around the front lug on the Upper Rec....while you make sure it remains seated on the lug...affix the upper onto the lower and then pin it down. Puff, slop fixed the correct way:)

http://i51.tinypic.com/2d8g6x4.jpg

eta...WTF, Frens got the jump but we got the same time stamp.....I am going with tie goes to the pic:)

Winter
02-20-11, 13:45
I recently cleaned my friends Bushmaster for him and pulled the wedge out and threw it away, I used the o ring method like TRIDENT suggests because he was worried about slop. The o ring method worked well. The only thing I would be worried about would be them tearing or drying out if exposed to harmful chemicals that your cleaning with. Note: harmful to rubber, not your gun.

Pax
02-20-11, 13:59
I recently cleaned my friends Bushmaster for him and pulled the wedge out and threw it away, I used the o ring method like TRIDENT suggests because he was worried about slop. The o ring method worked well. The only thing I would be worried about would be them tearing or drying out if exposed to harmful chemicals that your cleaning with. Note: harmful to rubber, not your gun.

Good man. Are you degreasing and lubing the O-Ring with some type of silicone oil? I've heard it prevents cracks, prolong the life of the ring, etc.