PDA

View Full Version : Specific AR Storage Questions

ryanschmidt65
02-20-11, 13:06
I know know. Not "another" thread about questions regarding my Colt 6920 but here we go again!

I currently have a small Gunvualt for my Glock and other valuables. I'm trying to decide the best way to store my Colt with keeping a few things in mind.

1. I live in an apartment and will not have access to a full gun safe or gun cabinet of any kind. Its out of the question for at least 5 years.

2. I would like to keep the gun rust free and protected from the elements. This includes damage from dropping, banging, ect from day to day activities.

I was thinking of either getting a soft case or a hard case such as a Pelican. The problem with a soft case is that it does not keep moisture out as well as a hard case with O-Rings and the like. The problem with hard cases, is that they are expensive, and if moisture is trapped inside, it cannot escape and will quickly ruin your day.I understand I can possibly use desiccants in the hard case to keep moisture at bay.

Price is a issue. If I absolutely have to have a hard case my absolute upper limit would be 200 dollars. I would like to keep it below 100 or so.

Based on my situation, what would you do if you were in my shoes? Will the rifle be fine in a soft case under the bed? Would adding desiccants to the soft case be of any use? Is there such thing as a soft case with a moisture barrier or something built in that would allow me to use desiccants in the case?

Thanks for the advise guys, as always!
:dirol:

Ziptie
02-20-11, 13:10
You could combine this with a soft case:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=939460228

Sgt_Gold
02-20-11, 14:16
I'd go with a soft case and a silicone sock or wrap. Some vapor paper in the barrel wouldn't hurt. Constant humidity in the air is going to be your biggest issue. When I first bought my house I stored all my rifles in the 'gun room' in the basement. I didn't have a safe so I kept them in soft cases. I used a dehumidifier to keep the basement around 40% humidity and didn't have any rust problems. As long as you're not living under water you should be fine.

czydj
02-20-11, 14:29
Your M4 is plastic, aluminum and coated/treated steel. Keep your BCG covered with oil and rust is not an indoor storage issue. Keep it in a cheapy padded sleeve and lock it up in a corner of your closet. Locking it up is more important than worrying about rust...

I used this method for a while. Less that $25 with a hardened clasp, long cable and padlock. I used long lag bolts into the framing and it was designed to keep 1 firearm from walking off with an idiot burglar. A real thief would get to it, but it should deter B&E types:

http://img806.imageshack.us/img806/781/p1000776.jpg

MistWolf
02-20-11, 14:59
Get a hard plastic case. You don't need anything expensive or fancy, but a hard plastic case will protect your rifle from bumps & bruises that come from being stored in a closet or under the bed. I've had rifles suffer dings, dents and broken sights while kept or transported in soft cases. Hard plastic cases may cost a bit more than soft cases but are cheap enough that you can buy one a month or so until you have enough to meet your storage needs. Between keeping the weapon oiled and placing a package of desiccant in the case, problems with rust & corrosion will be kept to a minimum.

A few tips:
Do not store firearms-
-in a closet with a water heater
-in the laundry room
-along a wall that is common to the outside, the bathroom, kitchen, laundry room or other areas of humidity & temperature changes
-coated with WD-40 or other similar type water displacer
-in a case lined with wool
-with the bolt, firing pin or other critical parts removed. Do not store any critical parts in another location. Keep at least one magazine with the rifle

Check your firearms once a month or so for condition and to dry fire and keep yourself familiar with their handling. Experience will tell if this schedule needs to be adjusted.

Another option is to get a metal gun cabinet. They are much smaller and lighter than safes, give you more options to storage locations and can be locked

Winter
02-20-11, 15:21
A hard case is a great way to not only protect your rifle but transport it as well, I have a Starlight case and love it, I have yet to build a foam cutter for it but when I do I am going to cut a small box into it so I can throw a large dessicant pouch in it. The nice thing about a quality hard case is that I throw it in the back of my truck when going to the range where my friends who have soft cases put them inside to help protect their guns. Right now my gun goes under my bed and has a dessicant pack with it but living in the desert I'm not too worried about rust, mainly because I know its lubed properly though.

Army Chief
02-20-11, 18:18
Agree that the chief problem here is less one of corrosion and more one of basic security. In your stead, I might still look at a basic seven-gun storage cabinet (as opposed to a traditional safe), but barring this, the soft case inside of a hard case arrangment is versatile, portable, and works extremely well. Finding a way to chain the hard case up to an immovable object would answer the mail nicely against simple "target of opportunity" break-ins, and still provide for a controlled storage environment.

AC

tuck
02-20-11, 18:49
While I really, really want a nice gun safe, I also live in an apartment, and thats not going to happen for awhile yet. This year for Christmas I got a metal Stack-On 14 gun cabinet to stick my long guns in. It's sturdy for what it is, it locks, and it fits nicely in my apartment. I keep a couple desiccant pouches in it, and take the guns that I don't shoot often out once a month to wipe them down with an oil rag. Rust isn't an issue, and it's nice not using soft cases in a closet anymore.

The Cat
02-20-11, 18:55
I can appreciate what Mistwolf said, but when I lived in an apartment - and wasn't there - I made sure my AR was disassembled and its components were hidden all over the place.

That's when I was gone, though.

MistWolf
02-20-11, 19:06
I can appreciate what Mistwolf said, but when I lived in an apartment - and wasn't there - I made sure my AR was disassembled and its components were hidden all over the place.

That's when I was gone, though.

I understand your reasoning. However, I cannot tell you how many times I've heard stories about small parts (often from rare firearms) have gotten lost and now the owner cannot find replacements. As for myself, I took apart my Marlin to replace a broken firing pin. Since then I had to move. Four times. Now, all the innards- bolt, trigger group, lever, springs and screws are missing. I wish I had followed my own advice

Whootsinator
02-20-11, 19:26
I understand your reasoning. However, I cannot tell you how many times I've heard stories about small parts (often from rare firearms) have gotten lost and now the owner cannot find replacements. As for myself, I took apart my Marlin to replace a broken firing pin. Since then I had to move. Four times. Now, all the innards- bolt, trigger group, lever, springs and screws are missing. I wish I had followed my own advice

Do you really think that at any time in the next few decades replacement parts for an AR-15 will be hard to find?

CLHC
02-20-11, 19:43
I used both the hard and soft case when I did live in an apartment. When away from home, I buried the case in the balcony storage, and yes, I'm three (3) floors up. Since buying a house (still no safe), I mostly use the soft case and am not too overly concerned about oxidation, not that I don't maintain my AR.

The Cat
02-20-11, 19:43

Moves. I've lost SO much crap in moves. I'm still missing a castle nut wrench.

Do you really think that at any time in the next few decades replacement parts for an AR-15 will be hard to find?

Depends on politicians.

MistWolf
02-20-11, 19:50

Ignore my "rare firearms" comment and focus on the "firearms are useless if key parts are removed and lost. Don't risk losing key parts" part

kermit4161
02-20-11, 20:48
Here is what I plan on getting for transportation purposes... but it'd work for storage too:

http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/BOYH36DSGDE.aspx

Security is really the biggest threat to your AR. A small Stack-on cabinet is better than nothing and you can get one for the cost of the case above. Just a couple of suggestions...

Mac5.56
02-20-11, 22:46
You can buy a Sentry 5 Gun Safe for cheap. This is not a hard question to answer. Screw it into the studs in your wall. Problem solved.

04rwon
02-20-11, 23:01
posted twice accident

04rwon
02-20-11, 23:01
If your talking about normal storage at night, the best place is right next to you in bed. You should even tuck her under the covers with you. Dont forget to pray too. If your lady has a problem, then I guess youll have to put her somewhere else. I mean the lady, not the rifle, after all...if SHTF whos going to help more lol

ShimmySham
02-20-11, 23:40
For apartment use, I have a "14-gun" bolted down Homak with desiccant packs, cabinet is in a locked closet, closet is in a locked room, etc

MAUSER202
02-21-11, 17:15
I know someone in a small apartment that hangs is m4 inside of an old suite in the closet with the suite bag over it. He thinks thats the last place a thief would look. He also breaks it down in a medium sports duffel bag so he doesn't draw attention when transporting it to the range.