PDA

View Full Version : Ruger SR556 gas piston setting?

DirtDiver
02-20-11, 13:35
Spent a day out on the range yesterday with my SR556 and found out that it really doesn't do well on the piston setting #2 with Silver Bear ammo.

On setting #3, it did just fine, except for I think it was too powerful and actually tore the extraction rim off of one of the casings. :eek:

So, what is everyone else's experiences with the SR556? I know, most will say don't shoot with Silver Bear / Wolf / other Russian junk...but it's much cheaper, and my experience has been with DI guns I can do just fine. On #3 it was flawless, so just wanting to know what others think.

LettersFromEarth
02-20-11, 20:10
The case separation is more likely do to the low quality of material used to make the round. Setting #3 is about right for the type of powder used in SB.

87GN
02-21-11, 01:09
When I had an SR556, I used #2 for almost everything. With #3, even with weaker ammo, it was cycling at or near 900rpm and there was a good bit of bolt carrier bounce. The gas port diameters are - this is a rough recollection from 6 months ago, forgive me if I'm off a little - .045, .068 and .090...ish.

But if yours works with that ammo only on #3, then by all means, shoot on #3.

LettersFromEarth
02-21-11, 13:05
When I had the Ruger, I installed an extra power spring and an anti tilt buffer from Slash. I never ran the gun in stock configuration, so bolt bounce was never an issue for me.

DirtDiver
02-21-11, 15:55
Do you have a link to the spring and other parts you used?

Pax
02-21-11, 16:01
http://shop.firearmreadysolutions.com/

A good idea in any piston AR. I've heard SR556s are particularly prone to carrier tilt but that just hearsay.

DirtDiver
02-21-11, 16:05
Thanks, but which is recommended?

LettersFromEarth
02-21-11, 16:12
Do you have a link to the spring and other parts you used?
Here you go: http://www.heavybuffers.com/

I suggest you contact Clint before placing your order. He will want a couple of measurements from your weapon (back of BC and RX), as he makes each buffer to fit individual rifles.

I also used POFs roller cam and Adams Arms bolt spring. Both worked as advertised, but the shipping cost for the AA spring caused me to use a few colorful words before and after hitting the "buy" button on their website.