PDA

View Full Version : Why can't I reply in the general Discussion threads?

RIDE
02-20-11, 19:12
Can someone help me? Why can't I reply in this thread HERE (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=74542) ?

I get an error regarding privileges when attempting to reply.

any help or info would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Karcas
02-20-11, 19:13
http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=54962

Hmac
02-20-11, 19:17
You need 200 posts to post in General Discussion.

RIDE
02-20-11, 19:28
Thanks…

I've been registered for about 3 years here.. and yet I have to almost quadruple my post count to post in GD.. pretty silly if you ask me.

Maybe a certain number of YEARS as a member should be added to the equation?? lol

Army Chief
02-20-11, 19:45
We don't particularly care for the post count restriction ourselves, but what you've managed to miss over the past three years is the fact that General Discussion became a magnet for transplants from other forums who brought some very bad habits along with them. They were argumentative. They were juvenile. They posted pure drivel. And more to the point, their only "contributions" tended to be in the GD area, which is probably the least important board on the entire site. The place turned into a real combat zone at times.

Implementing the 200 post restriction was designed to force newer members to spend some time assimilating the site culture, getting a sense for how we conduct ourselves, and actually participating in a meaningful way before they were able to access some of the more trouble-prone sub-boards. 200 posts usually gives the site staff more than enough time to find -- and weed out -- potential problem children before they can earn a hall pass for GD, and while the restriction isn't always popular, it has definitely helped us improve the signal-to-noise ratio on the forum at-large.

AC

bulbvivid
02-21-11, 13:02
If I'm not mistaken, you can post in GD if you are a site sponsor, regardless of post count.

Army Chief
02-21-11, 13:39
If I'm not mistaken, you can post in GD if you are a site sponsor, regardless of post count.

True statement. This is not because there is any connection between payment and privilege, but because members who feel strongly enough about the site to contribute in this way have generally demonstrated a clearer understanding of what constitutes acceptable posting behavior.

AC

RIDE
02-22-11, 16:17
True statement. This is not because there is any connection between payment and privilege, but because members who feel strongly enough about the site to contribute in this way have generally demonstrated a clearer understanding of what constitutes acceptable posting behavior.

AC

Good idea… THis site saved me a lot of time and money (learned from others mistakes with the "buy once, cry once" theory for example). I'm happy to donate $20.. where can I do this though?

Big Av
02-26-11, 12:41
It's really unfortunate to have this limit, I've been active on forums before and had it take me a year to reach 200 posts...

Really kind of limits the usefulness for those of us who are generally interested, but new to the AR-15 community.

jaxman7
02-26-11, 14:10
AC,

The next time I get a complaint about the GD post count restriction your description of the reasons will be shown to them. Well said,

-Jax

DaBears_85
02-26-11, 17:29
We don't particularly care for the post count restriction ourselves, but what you've managed to miss over the past three years is the fact that General Discussion became a magnet for transplants from other forums who brought some very bad habits along with them. They were argumentative. They were juvenile. They posted pure drivel. And more to the point, their only "contributions" tended to be in the GD area, which is probably the least important board on the entire site. The place turned into a real combat zone at times.

Implementing the 200 post restriction was designed to force newer members to spend some time assimilating the site culture, getting a sense for how we conduct ourselves, and actually participating in a meaningful way before they were able to access some of the more trouble-prone sub-boards. 200 posts usually gives the site staff more than enough time to find -- and weed out -- potential problem children before they can earn a hall pass for GD, and while the restriction isn't always popular, it has definitely helped us improve the signal-to-noise ratio on the forum at-large.

AC

I couldn't agree more, AC. While I understand my viewpoint might be different if had under 200 posts, I think it's a brilliant solution to the problems you touched on above.

AC,

The next time I get a complaint about the GD post count restriction your description of the reasons will be shown to them. Well said,

-Jax

Agreed.

J

Iraqgunz
02-27-11, 00:53
Actually it doesn't restrict you hardly at all if you are here looking for AR information.

The GD area is primarily discussions that don't pertain to AR's at all.

It's really unfortunate to have this limit, I've been active on forums before and had it take me a year to reach 200 posts...

Really kind of limits the usefulness for those of us who are generally interested, but new to the AR-15 community.

Det-Sog
03-22-11, 09:02
Good idea… THis site saved me a lot of time and money (learned from others mistakes with the "buy once, cry once" theory for example). I'm happy to donate $20.. where can I do this though?

Bump for an answer. I'd chip in $20 also...

mvician
03-22-11, 09:57
The info used to be in this thread but is missing now ???

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=55433

Packman73
03-22-11, 10:05
Thanks…

I've been registered for about 3 years here.. and yet I have to almost quadruple my post count to post in GD.. pretty silly if you ask me.

Maybe a certain number of YEARS as a member should be added to the equation?? lol

I feel ya man. I've been here longer than you and I'm not allowed in yet.

nowayout
03-22-11, 10:07
There is no option at this time for donations to the site. I was told they are working on a Paypal option which should be around shortly.

TOrrock
03-22-11, 10:24
Asked and answered.

Feel free to discuss weapons, gear, and tactics in the appropriate forums.