PDA

View Full Version : ? on .22 LR ammo

platoonDaddy
02-20-11, 20:08
My club is selling the following .22 ammo and wondered what the difference is between the two.

Aguila CMP 40 gr Std Vel target at $33 / brick

Remington 40 gr high velocity $32 / brick

Thank you

JStor
02-20-11, 20:44
The Aguila standard velocity will be running at about 1050 ft/sec. hence the "standard velocity" label.

The Remington being high velocity will be running a bunch faster. We use the Remington stuff for general plinking/blasting in my Nylon 66s and the kids' 10-22s.

The standard velocity is what target shooters usually choose, as it is generally more accurate. I haven't shot any standard Aquila, but of all the standard velocity ammo I've tested in my Anschutz, the Wolf Match Target and Match Extra were my final choices for accuracy vs. reasonable cost. Some of the Eley ammunition grouped really well, also. It all depends on what your rifle likes, as each barrel has preferences.

kartoffel
02-21-11, 00:40
Some semiautos may require high velocity ammo to cycle. Good quality high velocity ammo can be pretty accurate all the way out until it goes subsonic, but then the dispersion really opens up. Generally it'll stay supersonic at least to 50 yards or so. Standard velocity and subsonic ammo never has to deal with slowing through Mach 1, since it never goes that fast to begin with.

Aguila target ammo is pretty good stuff. Before buying a whole ton of it, try some other flavors such as RWS, Eley or Wolf to see what your gun likes.

Remington rimfire ammo is universally shit, in my experience. I wouldn't waste your time with it. If you want good-shooting high velocity ammo, consider instead Federal AutoMatch or CCI Mini Mags.

J-Dub
02-21-11, 08:05
If you want to target shoot, generally the slower the velocity they better when it comes to .22lr.

From my experience Wolf match target is the most accurate (their rimfire ammo is nothing like the centerfire stuff).

But i havent tried Eley, which i've heard is the best of the best. If you're just going to plink get some Fed. bulk stuff.

glockeyed
02-21-11, 11:15
none of my rimfires like Aguila too well, and all HATE Remington rimfire. so make sure your's likes it before you commit.

also, im assuming this "brick" is 1K rounds?

platoonDaddy
02-21-11, 14:00
none of my rimfires like Aguila too well, and all HATE Remington rimfire. so make sure your's likes it before you commit.

also, im assuming this "brick" is 1K rounds?

Brick is 500 rounds.

Thanks to all of you for ur suggestions and recommendations.

hatidua
02-27-11, 20:27
Aguila = good.
Remington = I wouldn't pay $5 for it.

mechelaar
02-27-11, 20:59
I know no one is gonna believe this, but I have started to pick up the WalMart Remington Golden Bullet bricks because it is the only stuff that will consistently run in all my .22s (I have a real finicky pistol that hates most ammo). The Remington I've been buying recently seems MUCH hotter than the stuff from a few years ago. Like CCI Stinger hot. I have been pleasantly surprised by the quality.

1_click_off
02-28-11, 21:23
I know no one is gonna believe this, but I have started to pick up the WalMart Remington Golden Bullet bricks because it is the only stuff that will consistently run in all my .22s (I have a real finicky pistol that hates most ammo). The Remington I've been buying recently seems MUCH hotter than the stuff from a few years ago. Like CCI Stinger hot. I have been pleasantly surprised by the quality.

Is it still coated in the green yuck the call lube? That is what always gummed up my guns and prevented more than 2 mags before jamming.