PDA

View Full Version : Using the German #4 for Holdover in an Accupoint

againstthagrane
02-20-11, 21:10
This is some pretty informal testing and I stumbled upon this info completely by accident, but the width of the fat part of the bar is exactly 8.5" at 100yards. So it's 17'' at 200 yards; 4.25'' at 50 yards. So if you know how much your particular ammo drops at a known distance you can use the fat bars to gauge holdover (crudely). I hope this helps somebody on this forum.

Nightvisionary
02-21-11, 14:44
I don't get it. How would knowing the horizontal width of the post help you make vertical adjustments for elevation. I could see possibly using it for range finding somewhat like a huge mildot or even windage but elevation holdovers I don't see how that would be practical.

againstthagrane
02-21-11, 14:57
I don't get it. How would knowing the horizontal width of the post help you make vertical adjustments for elevation. I could see possibly using it for range finding somewhat like a huge mildot or even windage but elevation holdovers I don't see how that would be practical.

I don't understand the question? Maybe I didn't didn't explain properly.

What I'm saying is that the the width of fatter part of the crosshairs is 8.5 MOA not the length. So since both of the horizontal and the lower vertical posts have the fatter part you can just use the width as reference point fir both windage and elevation. Sorry if I'm not being clear, I don't know the terminology for the different parts of the reticule.

nimdabew
02-21-11, 16:12
I don't understand the question? Maybe I didn't didn't explain properly.

What I'm saying is that the the width of fatter part of the crosshairs is 8.5 MOA not the length. So since both of the horizontal and the lower vertical posts have the fatter part you can just use the width as reference point fir both windage and elevation. Sorry if I'm not being clear, I don't know the terminology for the different parts of the reticule.

His question is thus: If your target is at 460 yards, how much do you hold over that target if you know the dope with your rifle. Knowing how far away a target is is just half the battle. A BDC or target turrets would be better because you can easily change the elevation and just hold on the target instead of having to do a bunch of guessing for those further out shots.

againstthagrane
02-21-11, 19:41
yeah, using the target turrets would make more sense now that i think about it. i stand corrected