PDA

View Full Version : Gas Block

MistWolf
02-20-11, 21:18
I just pulled the trigger on a 20" Lothar Walther barrel for a long range precision AR that will be scoped. Handguards are PRI Delta Carbon Fiber rifle length. The Lothar Walther uses a .750 gas block.

What would be a good gas block to use? I would prefer something that can be pinned. A standard FSB is not needed, although I am not against the idea of using one and cutting it down with a die grinder.

If anyone is interested, here are the parts so far:
-LRB lower with Armalite LPK, Geisselle SSA-E trigger group and UBR stock set. Carbine buffer & spring. Magpull Miad grip
-VLTOR MUR upper
-PRI Delta rifle length carbon fiber handguards
-Battlecomp 1.0
-Lothar Walther 20" SS midweight barrel w/matched bolt (on order)

Parts Still to be Purchased
-Bolt carrier TBD (considering the Fail Zero carrier)
-Mod 4 Gunfighter charging handle
-Gas tube
-Gas block TBD
-Scope, mounts & rings TBD

What are good gas blocks I should consider? What are my options?

ssracer
02-20-11, 21:36
I've got a Vltor low pro on mine. Very minimal. It's not pinned, but a quick trip to the smith could fix that.

Col_Crocs
02-20-11, 23:37
Is your barrel dimpled? I recommend either a stainless vltor or centurion. Both can be pinned and if you plan on pinning it yourself, there's a pinning jig specifically designed for the vltor, while the centurion has flats milled on the both sides.

MistWolf
02-21-11, 00:20
Is your barrel dimpled? I recommend either a stainless vltor or centurion. Both can be pinned and if you plan on pinning it yourself, there's a pinning jig specifically designed for the vltor, while the centurion has flats milled on the both sides.

Ya know, I didn't think to ask if it was dimpled or not. As far as pinning goes, Rainier Arms is about an hour from where I live.

How well does the jig work? Where can I find more information on it?

Col_Crocs
02-21-11, 01:14
The jig is made by a member. Here's a link to his site.
http://www.brdengineering.com/
Rainier sells them IIRC, but since you live so close to them anyway, you might as well pay to get it done. It'll come out cheaper, and much less of a hassle on your part.

ssracer
02-21-11, 10:16
Thanks for that link...I may look into that jig for myself.

tarkeg
02-21-11, 10:18
Another vote for the Vltor. LaRue and Daniel Defense make nice ones also, but I like the way the Vltor looks. I also use the BRD jig. I dimple, set screw with rocksett, and taper pin them. Overkill, but works every time.

nimdabew
02-21-11, 12:23
I didn't really notice the difference between my friends Vltor or my MI "cheap" gas block in terms of initial quality. I think they are made from different metal though so the Vltor GB will probably last longer.

13MPG
02-21-11, 13:31
Yet another vote for the Vltor. I have one that has been pinned on one of my rifles. No issues with it nor do I think I will have any.

MistWolf
02-27-11, 02:16
Thanks, guys. Got the VLTOR low profile. Installation was stone simple. Just have to get it pinned