PDA

View Full Version : Hider vs Brake (suppressed)

MookNW
02-21-11, 10:21
Maybe someone can just steer me towards a thread that may have covered this already.
As I understand, a suppressor will act as a compensator to a certain degree, reducing muzzle "flip".
How does a suppressor perform in this regard when there is a muzzle brake mount being used as opposed to a flash hider mount?
I'm aware that the brake mounts offer protection to the first baffle in the can.
Secondly, as muzzle brakes are significantly louder than flash hiders (to either side of the shooter at least), is this difference also noted when a suppressor is being used.
Basically, is a can with a brake mount going to be louder, and have less rise than a can with a flash hider mount.
Please understand I have no experience shooting suppressed, sorry if my terms are all jumbled.
-Mook

JasonM
02-21-11, 10:55
Are you the same person that asked this on silencertalk?

Anyway, no noticeable difference at all (feel or sound) when using a brake mount versus a flash hider and a suppressor.

Unsuppressed, the brake will dampen recoil, and will be much louder to the shooter and those around than a flash hider will.

MookNW
02-21-11, 11:12
No, that wasn't me. Thanks for the reply.

vinsonr
02-21-11, 13:59
The only reason a brake is louder is because it redirects expanding gasses more towards the shooter than a flash hider.

The amount of gasses is the same, thus the performance when suppressed is very close to the same. As you noted, one benefit of a brake type adapter is to take some of the brunt of the gasses so your can does not have to.

hs338lapua
02-22-11, 17:53
I feel like my 12.5" with AAC brake and M4-2000 is quieter at the ear than other 12.5's running non brake silencers. That is just my personal opinion. Take the can off and it will rock your socks!

I do like the added blast baffle protection afforded with the brake mount.

Lawmaker
02-27-11, 08:51
My my can dealer was suggesting against it for the same reasons as stated. I got the ACC M4-2000 and my dealer said get the Muzzle brake vs the black out flash hider because it will take some of the blast.