PDA

View Full Version : Oakley Assault Boots

barca101
02-21-11, 10:53
Greetings,

I was perusing the Oakley SI website and is interested in purchasing the 6" black boots for duty use. Anyone have any experience in sizing, quality, and shipping?

The design looks different. They look comfortable to wear and it appeared they reinforced the sole, where most of the complaint come from.

UCFiveOh
02-21-11, 16:56
I've been wearing Oakley SI boots for about 6+ years as a LEO. I love them. Sizing is consistent for me (10) with other brands I wear.

I've switched to Adidas GSG-9's a few times, but keep coming back to Oak's. I used the SI Shoes for bike patrol as well, well worth it for the government price.

Quality is great, they last me forever, but I'm a lightweight guy. Shipping from the gov't site has always been within a few days for shoes/boots.

SlapChopDonkey
02-21-11, 17:06
I've worn both the 6" and the 8" tan assault boots since I got my first pair in Iraq in 2006. On the first pair I got, the soles wore out after a few months, but I haven't had any issues with them since. And I've had nothing but great experiences through the SI website.

zodtgr8
02-21-11, 17:38
AS noted above, the only weak point on the SI boots are the soles, which wear out fast if your average day will be spend on some form of dismounted patrol.
The newest versions have Vibram soles so this may no longer be an issue.
That aside, they are excellent boots; Light, comfortable, and well-fitting.
My 8" hot weather SI's are my absolute favorite pair of boots and I will definitely be ordering a new pair in the not-too-distant future.

Aceventura
02-21-11, 17:58
Had a pair of the U.S made originals when they first came out(had to be cool). My only complaint was they made noise when the soles were wet.
Do they still do that?

Juicebox
02-21-11, 22:20
I have the offshore version in tan and black. I wore the tan ones in Iraq for the last 5-6 months of my deployment. They barely show any kind of wear to them.

I have been wearing the black ones for the last 18 months. The lace loops or holes or whatever they're called have shown some wear. A couple of the metal reinforcement that go in the holes have come loose. The sole on my left foot has worn pretty low. It's about time to order new ones. They do make noise when I walk and the soles are wet.

From my viewing of standardissue it looks like the black ones are on backorder...

steve-oh
02-21-11, 22:56
I bought a pair maybe 2 years ago that had vibram soles and they lasted forever. The boots rotted off my feet in Mountain phase though but up until then they were great.

Unlike other lighter boots Oakleys actually have decent ankle support. I was wearing the 8" version though.

kaltesherz
02-22-11, 22:31
I had a pair of Assault Boots (8") overseas that I wore for the last 4-5 months that I loved despite the fact they were slightly too small for me. Since exchanging would have been a pain in the ass I just wore them anyway and they held up well. My only complaint was that once soaked they took FOREVER to dry out, like 3 days or maybe even a little longer. When I came back stateside I bought a pair in my size and after 1.5 years they still look great, I just make sure to wear my Gore-Tex Belleville's if the field was going to be pretty rainy or muddy. By far my favorite boot, they've really improved them over the years and it seems like a lot of people still think they suffer for the durability issues they had initially.

redfernsoljah
02-22-11, 22:37
Tore soles out in a couple of months as well as split leather above metatarsal in two pair nothing crazing. Since have goe to lowwa and even a nike sfb no issues at all on lowa nie soles worn after a year hard use. I will never buy the oakleys again nikes are more comfortable. Good luck.

Silvanus
02-23-11, 06:17
I've worn a pair of them (6") for the last 5-6 months as a LEO. I also use them to go hiking and sometimes to run, too. They are very comfortable, especially when they are broken in. I have had no major problems with wear so far. But at the inner side of one boot (at the heel) some material came loose and now stings a little... I'll have to fix that sometime.

I need a second pair of boots, but decided to get the Adidas GSG9 boots. Not that I don't like the Oakleys, I just want to try something different.

emt370
02-23-11, 17:22
I pretty much exclusively wear the 6" black assault boots for SWAT duty. I've been using the same pair for like over 3 years and they are still going strong. Once worn in, any squeaking in the leather went away and they feel like sneakers. The downsides are that their wet traction is less than ideal, particularly on smooth surfaces, and there doesn't appear to be much of a shank, so when standing on uneven ground (ex. rocks), my feet tend to get sore quickly.

YVK
02-24-11, 21:05
I have a pair, and I think they are glorified 6" black tennis shoes. They are supple and not too stiff - short-term comfort is good. However, during my previous winter vacation I was stuck with them for several days which I spent on my feet touring a new place all day long - and my feet hurt. Ankle support and arch support are average. Mine squeak even after years of use [admittedly not very hard use] - I can't imagine sneaking on anybody silently indoors. They did OK outdoors when I lived in Midwest; when I took them to the real hills where I live now, they did overall poorly across wide range of weather conditions. When my pair is dead, I won't be buying another one.

ZGXtreme
07-05-11, 20:58
Going to bump this due to the question being Oakley specific. In the market for a set of boots to replace my Danner Strikers. Looked on USSI.com and saw the newly released All Weather SI Boot (which is polishable for the street guys). On the verge of buying to try them out but wanted to double check on sizing.

Have heard that SI boots run about a 1/2 size large, while others are true to size. Knowing this is specific to each individual, I wanted to check here with those wearing Oakley's about your experience with the sizing issue.

wilco423
07-05-11, 21:44
Have heard that SI boots run about a 1/2 size large, while others are true to size. Knowing this is specific to each individual, I wanted to check here with those wearing Oakley's about your experience with the sizing issue.

I normally wear a 11-11.5 regular in running shoes or Danner GTX boots, but I found 10.5W Oakley boots (black 6", offshore) fit me best. The wide seems to add more room in the ankle/lower leg area than toe box width. Also has much less material on the sides of the tongue on the wides (uses spandexy material on the sides instead of leather), and was more comfortable as a result.

sgtjosh
07-05-11, 22:29
Greetings,

I was perusing the Oakley SI website and is interested in purchasing the 6" black boots for duty use. Anyone have any experience in sizing, quality, and shipping?

The design looks different. They look comfortable to wear and it appeared they reinforced the sole, where most of the complaint come from.

I have a set. They are comfortable,but not waterproof. They are priced well through the SI website. The sizong was a little long for me, but usable. They are not brush boots (durability and weather resistance,) but would make good boots for an urban setting. The shipping was pretty fast. I got mine in 2-3 days.

ZGXtreme
07-05-11, 22:41
Well alrighty, I wear a mixture of 10.5, 11, and 11.5 betwee boots and running shoes. Will try the 11, as you mentioned, their shipping is quick so if need be can exchange. Will see about giving a review later as I don't know how new this model is. Hoping the "All Weather" as in the name makes them better suited for standard street work.

kaltesherz
07-06-11, 00:04
My Temperate SI's ran pretty small, I think I wore 10.5 issue boots and I wear a 12.5 in Oakleys. Ordering boots offline that you've never had a chance to try on BLOWS, esp overseas...

ZGXtreme
07-06-11, 00:21
My Temperate SI's ran pretty small, I think I wore 10.5 issue boots and I wear a 12.5 in Oakleys. Ordering boots offline that you've never had a chance to try on BLOWS, esp overseas...

Uh yeah! I've only had the chance to try them in a store (Oakley store in SoCal) prior to the second deployment of OIF. Of course, that was so long and many brain cells ago I can't remember the size I tried. Will just have to try, and exchange if need be. Would prefer my Acadias, but need something to wear while they are at Danner being rerafted.

barca101
07-06-11, 15:52
I'm the OP who was inquiring about the SI boots. Since then I've had my boots for several months now. I use to wear the Danner GTX Strikers in a size 8.5. I kept hearing that they run large and ordered a 9.5. As soon as it arrived in the mail, I tried it on and it was really big. I returned it and order a size 9 regular. Now it fits perfectly.

I compared my new boots to my co workers previous model. The sole is reinforced, the ankle has ample padding, but it feels kinda heavy. I just wish it was the previous design, but with the improvements. I still have my Danners b/c its feels comfortable since its broken in. :smile:

cop1211
07-06-11, 17:14
I've had a pair of the 8 inch for about 4 months that I wear on duty, comfortable and well made, and for the price with discount you cant go wrong. Get some camp dry waterproof spray and your good to go.

ZGXtreme
07-06-11, 20:09
Here is the new model I purchased; Oakley All Weather SI Boot (https://secure.usstandardissue.com/Product_Detail.cfm?id=304)

sgtjosh
07-06-11, 23:40
Here is the new model I purchased; Oakley All Weather SI Boot (https://secure.usstandardissue.com/Product_Detail.cfm?id=304)

That may alleviate my only real criticism, but they really need them in wide sizes...damn platypus feet.